• Create Account

Photo

Recolonization of glassed worlds (Conjecture and Gameplay)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Recolonization of glassed worlds (Conjecture and Gameplay) (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Possible?

1. Yes (17 votes [54.84%])

Percentage of vote: 54.84%

2. Maybe, depends how heavily glassed (12 votes [38.71%])

Percentage of vote: 38.71%

3. No (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

For those of you that picked none, I feel bad for you that you have not played Halo: Reach (or at least have not seen the ending). But back to the point. What do you think on the topic? I know its possible in at least one case (Reach) but also this was only partially glassed. As for planets glassed to rubble, (I.e. Harvest, Kholo, New harmony) do you think they were able to retake these planets from ecological collapse? I was also curious if glassed planets are colonizable in SotP. If so, how would it be different? I have heard little small rumors that glassing a planet when you are covenant will be the difference between life and death in a contested system, but I have no idea what on earth that means.

#2 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:42 PM

Glassing is actually a temporary thing in the mod, though if enough ships glass a planet, it becomes worthless for resources and credits

#3 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

Temporary? not quite what i expected for such a defining thing for the covenant. Especially since i Heard from one of you guys earlier, that it was definitely planned, but alot can change in that time so what do I know.

#4 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Well you saw how much Reach got Glassed, and yet they still recolonized it. with Terraforming, which is what I expect the UNSC to do

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#5 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

in order to glass a planet the size of earth, the covenant would need to devote thousands of ships, and it would take many years. Glassing strategic targets only takes far less time, a few days to a few weeks, but does far less damage in the long run. Glassing in the mod reflects this. Also, there is gameplay to consider, since the covenant could glass every planet in a system and no one would be able to spread there if glassing prevented colonization permanently

#6 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

In the mod, could there be an ability to terraform a planet after it has been glassed? The ability would cost a lot in all resources and would slowly revert the planet's glassing effects(Be advised, my knowledge on modding and hardcoding in Sins is the equivilant of a sea otter's knowledge in automobile repair, so don't strike me down too hard if this is impossible).
  • Cole Protocol likes this
Spoiler

#7 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

I would say so, but I like you am a sea otter. But if a planet is glass able in the first place. which practically changes the type of planet it is. the planet should be able to changed back. The question is if the devs want that to happen.

#8 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:07 AM

I would say so, but I like you am a sea otter. But if a planet is glass able in the first place. which practically changes the type of planet it is. the planet should be able to changed back. The question is if the devs want that to happen.

Maybe have some sort of advanced terramforming research to reclaim glassed planets (if possible)? 

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#9 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

Hard to say, hardcoading is particular like that. It may let you make a new planet but you might not be able to colonize it. Then again i could be wrong and probably am. But im hoping that it could be, having a reclaimed reach as a outpost with no Population would be cool.

#10 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:01 AM

We are going with what defender said if we choose to do this.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#11 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

Ok well, that answers a few questions. But as far as outside of SotP. What challenges would there be for recolonization? radiation? Lack of water? Pollution? Effect on future populations? I think all of those would be hurdles to overcome.

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:16 AM

Ok well, that answers a few questions. But as far as outside of SotP. What challenges would there be for recolonization? radiation? Lack of water? Pollution? Effect on future populations? I think all of those would be hurdles to overcome.

you forgot one: atmospheric escape due to high intensity heat from the surface of the planet. In some extreme circumstances, a planet was glassed enough that the atmosphere literally boiled away.

#13 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

Ok, I did not know that. Would glassing also have some effect on the magnetic field of said planet? I have heard that the plasma is contained in a "magnetic bubble" then released. Thats how when Six gutted that CCS it exploded in glorious plasma.

#14 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

no, a planets magnetic field, if strong enough, actually messes with the aiming of plasma from covenant ships

#15 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

The main issue would be the reclaiming of land and water lost due to the bombardment. The land would come naturally however it would be slow. The water is a whole different problem as it was boiled away and is part of the atmosphere which is contaminated dude to the bombardment. Now when the surface temperature returns to "normal" the rain is going to be toxic. So you would have to purify both the atmosphere and the water of the planet. Not an easy task.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#16 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

True, But I disagree in how land would come back on its own. Remember how the land surrounding sword base was reduced to magma and UNSC scrap? I think that much tectonic or surface disruption would not go without having longterm damage that could not be restored by nature.

#17 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

True, But I disagree in how land would come back on its own. Remember how the land surrounding sword base was reduced to magma and UNSC scrap? I think that much tectonic or surface disruption would not go without having longterm damage that could not be restored by nature.

Time heals all wounds

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#18 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

True as that may be, i doubt the UNSC would want to wait 1,000,000 years while the planet sluggishly decides to come back to life.

#19 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

I voted all 3 with my phone. :P
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#20 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

Funny how glassed planets act differently.

Harvest turned into an iceball,

Khlol turned into sand 

new llanelli truly was glass

Its wierd.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users