21 replies to this topic

#1 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

Okay guys, lets figure this one out: How thick is a 10,000km in diameter Halo ring from inside to outside? The actual width of the ring is 318km.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#2 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:05 AM

Okay guys, lets figure this one out: How thick is a 10,000km in diameter Halo ring from inside to outside? The actual width of the ring is 318km.

I've read Halos would fall apart at any significant thickness at the velocities necessary for them to rotate completely in 24 hours with a diameter of 10,000km and composed of known materials, at the very least at the sort of thicknesses implied by the scenes of the Arbiter and Master Chief falling into the honeycombs where the Gravemind was living in the middle of Halo 2. The thickness of the ring would depend on the arbitrary properties of whatever fake material we said the ring was composed of; without a canon reference, any result we obtain is arbitrary.

#3 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

That kind of sucks I guess, but if we were to make an educated guess based on in-game distances and such... I wonder if HBO has something on this...

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

That kind of sucks I guess, but if we were to make an educated guess based on in-game distances and such... I wonder if HBO has something on this...

Yeah, you might be able to calculate a range of rough estimates using the cutscenes. It might change between games too, you know the process.

#5 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

I can't remember exactly what did Primordium said, but in the end, when Chakas and Riser and the other humans are carried aboard that ship-like vessel into that huge hole in the Halo ( a 30.000Km diameter Halo), it says that they covered hundreds and hundreds of Kilometres before reaching the Control Chamber.

I would guess, a normal Halo has at least a 100km thickness.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#6 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:15 AM

I'm going to to an edjamacated guesstimate, you have to remember this is not necessarily the thickness, but there are walls, so it is a lot thinner than it actually is.

i guess 4 to 16 km thick at most. Plus maybe a 6Km wall at most

i guess this as when you look at a pic, its a hell of a lot less than a tenth of the width.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#7 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:38 AM

Right now, based on the screens from Halo CE and Halo 2, the ring thickness for the model I'm working with is about 62km. It looks right compared to the images, but would much rather have an accurate measurement. :P

• Unikraken likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

If you want a more accurate measurement, i dont know if this will work but take your circle, and find the scale, so heres a example: 10,000km (halo)= 10 pixels (not really, just trying to make this work). So thats your scale, so after that, take 3 pixles, thats the rings thickness, and now you have your ratio: 1000km= 1 pixel. And if you do that, you can accordingly find the dimensions you want.

You probably already thought of this but i figured id try to help anyway.

#9 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

If you want a more accurate measurement, i dont know if this will work but take your circle, and find the scale, so heres a example: 10,000km (halo)= 10 pixels (not really, just trying to make this work). So thats your scale, so after that, take 3 pixles, thats the rings thickness, and now you have your ratio: 1000km= 1 pixel. And if you do that, you can accordingly find the dimensions you want.

You probably already thought of this but i figured id try to help anyway.

What? how can you measure a 3 dimensional object from a 2 dimensional image using pixels? Pixels are more like arbitrary units than a genuine unit.

How far away is than van? 

1.49600 × 10^20 pixels away mate

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#10 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

What? how can you measure a 3 dimensional object from a 2 dimensional image using pixels? Pixels are more like arbitrary units than a genuine unit.
How far away is than van? 
1.49600 × 10^20 pixels away mate

He's saying to use a known quantity (ring size) and use that number to determine an unknown quanitity (ring thickness)
  • Bornstellaris and Cole Protocol like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#11 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

He's saying to use a known quantity (ring size) and use that number to determine an unknown quanitity (ring thickness)

Yeah. Just using ratios:

Say 10,000KM=800 pixels. If you know the thickness is say, 40 pixels on screen then the thickness is 500KM.

It works for individual images but continuity for the rings themselves in images is, I imagine, poor.

#12 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

Yeah. Just using ratios:

Say 10,000KM=800 pixels. If you know the thickness is say, 40 pixels on screen then the thickness is 500KM.

It works for individual images but continuity for the rings themselves in images is, I imagine, poor.

yeah. I wouldn't be shocked to see there be notable differences between canon references. It wouldn't be surprising. Plus the math gets weird when you add a third dimension. Calculatable, but... yeesh
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#13 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Idk why this information isn't available. Stephen Loftus or whatever his name was took all the models from Halo CE back in the day and did dimensions on everything including the planets, except for the ring itself.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 HolyMith

HolyMith

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAbove the Damoclean Sword

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

I've read Halos would fall apart at any significant thickness at the velocities necessary for them to rotate completely in 24 hours with a diameter of 10,000km and composed of known materials, at the very least at the sort of thicknesses implied by the scenes of the Arbiter and Master Chief falling into the honeycombs where the Gravemind was living in the middle of Halo 2. The thickness of the ring would depend on the arbitrary properties of whatever fake material we said the ring was composed of; without a canon reference, any result we obtain is arbitrary.

I like you. You appeal to the physicist in me >.<

• sloosecannon likes this

#15 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

GOT IT!

Accordimg to the first Halo the Essential Visual guide Installation 04 is 6,214 miles or 10,000 km wide with a thickness of 198 miles or 318km. This should apply to Installations 01 through 06 but installation 07 was of an older and larger class of Halo (30,000km) and may or may not have had a different thickness.

Hope this helps, their also was a series of Halo Waypoint vids detailing the structure and locations within the halos.

Also it was detailed in Primordium that the halo keeps its durability using Hard light make the structure almost indestructable, these began to fail when the Halo's reactor rooms were being sabotaged and the supertructure began to collapse.

Edited by D4RKST0RM99, 23 December 2013 - 10:26 PM.

• Defender0 likes this

#16 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

The info I was looking for was the inner diameter, or the bisect from surface to surface. :P

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#17 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

If they give a canon thickness then 10,000 km - 318 km = 9,682 km.

#18 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

will it look like the ring in CE or CE Anniversary?

#19 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

If they give a canon thickness then 10,000 km - 318 km = 9,682 km.

No the 318km is the width of the ring, not the height of the ring. In any case, I finished the ring a while ago:

ss00244.jpg

• Aunt Gruntie and D4RKST0RM99 like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#20 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

looks perfect :o , can u do animations?,  would love to see your take of the Primordium scene were the 30,000km ring sheds 2 3rds of its mass and avoids a collision with asteroid shaped like a wolves head.

dont suppose its to scale with the ship, nice to see a comparison?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users