• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

Since the flood has been revamped, and the covenant introduced. I thought a place solely to talk strategies and ideas on how to fight, or fight as the factions that are now playable was necessary. But if you bring up frigate spam, unholy hell will rain down upon you. So to start off, i have found these effective:

• If engaging a large UNSC force as Covenant, attempt a two pronged attack, if you can hit them from behind, you will be on the inning side.
  • If a Covenant players is attacking, Hold tight to your SMAC guns, this will make them have to endure much more to get to your ships, and the opening volley will be a fantastic display of explosions.
  • If UNSC, pair a team of Orion's with a supper carrier and a valiant with there passive buffs active, that will turn this small little team of capitals into a deadly lethal weapon. And the higher the level, the better.
  • When defending as covenant, you may have already found that defense is rather easy, but a good combo of ships is about 5 CRS cruisers and a CCS, feel free to tweak this one, depending on the map and how you are doing offense wise to keep your enemies at bay. And i picked those ships for three reasons: there fast, there mean, and thy are tough to destroy with proper tactics

So guys, contribute your own, tweak mine, tweak other peoples, its all good here!

#2 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

You're right I don't frigate spam, I Marathon spam and use them as disposable nukes. 

Care not for their lives!

Oh yeah the frigate spam comes after.

• MrChipps, Bornstellaris, Fleet Admiral agigabyte and 3 others like this

#3 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

You're right I don't frigate spam, I Marathon spam and use them as disposable nukes. 

Care not for their lives!

Frigate spam: unacceptable. Marathon spam: awesome. 

And to keep us on track, i find that replacing Marathons With Autumns as soon as possible is a very effective plan.

#4 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:44 AM

I normally layer my fleet members roughly how they are in the books, my begining fleets and attack groups to route out the initial outlying colonies start with say-

1x Paris, 3x Charon, 2x Mako

Later after unlocking destroyers it would be-

1x Thanatos, 2x Paris, 4x Charon, 3x Mako

For every tier of ship class I add I increase the ones underneath it so along with cruisers and cap shps the larger simplest form of the fleet would be

1x Phoenix, 3x Marathon, 1-2x  Halcyon, 6x Thanatos, 8-10x Paris, 15-20x Charon, 10-15x Mako.

Fleet composition is always key instead of spamming the same ship class.

#5 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Prowler spam ftw!
  • ShadowOfIntent and Fleet Admiral agigabyte like this

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#6 ShadowOfIntent

ShadowOfIntent

The Master Janitor

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationYou don't feel the breathing on your neck?

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

Prowler spam ftw!

Faced has shown us the true path with prowler spam.
Spoiler

#7 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

CRS, CCS spam ftw!

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#8 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Another strategy is using fighters to take down SMACS while your ships watch the explosions from a distance safe from fire.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte and SPECTRE like this

#9 Commander Jbug

Commander Jbug

I'm a derp derp.

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • LocationNew York (Bagel Land)

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Another strategy is using fighters to take down SMACS while your ships watch the explosions from a distance safe from fire.

Unless the UNSC's got Sabres, then you're screwed

It seems like when someone creates a new fool-proof solution, someone gives birth to a better fool.

#10 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

Unless the UNSC's got Sabres, then you're screwed

bring AA, that can kill em easy

#11 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Faced has shown us the true path with prowler spam.

And what those fuckers can do in the 1000's. Take out 1 whole AI in under 10 mins XD

• ShadowOfIntent and zaun3694 like this

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#12 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

And what those fuckers can do in the 1000's. Take out 1 whole AI in under 10 mins XD

I feel that i should be afraid,very afraid.

• zaun3694 likes this

#13 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

Yes and they were all.... Upgraded > : D

• zaun3694 likes this

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#14 theblitz6794

theblitz6794

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

I normally layer my fleet members roughly how they are in the books, my begining fleets and attack groups to route out the initial outlying colonies start with say-

1x Paris, 3x Charon, 2x Mako

Later after unlocking destroyers it would be-

1x Thanatos, 2x Paris, 4x Charon, 3x Mako

For every tier of ship class I add I increase the ones underneath it so along with cruisers and cap shps the larger simplest form of the fleet would be

1x Phoenix, 3x Marathon, 1-2x  Halcyon, 6x Thanatos, 8-10x Paris, 15-20x Charon, 10-15x Mako.

Fleet composition is always key instead of spamming the same ship class.

While generally a good idea, bad with the corvettes and charons. Add some Paris and Thantos class ships and only have a few Charons and Makos. Charons are siege frigates and Makos are anti corvette units. 

#15 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:34 PM

Something else i found is helpful for engaging covenant: Hold position if you ever attack as the UNSC when you enter the gravity well, they will plow into hundreds of MACS in a uneven fashion while they are destroyed in a slaughter. and all they will do is destroy maybe a few frigs. 

oh and if a star base is there, shivas, LOTS of shivas, and MACS, don't forget MACS. 

#16 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

While generally a good idea, bad with the corvettes and charons. Add some Paris and Thantos class ships and only have a few Charons and Makos. Charons are siege frigates and Makos are anti corvette units. 

I'm with this guy. 10 Charons will take down a planet in seconds. 5-10 makos will keep your bomber fleet safe as well as deal with huge numbers, strike craft and other ships' AAA will do the rest. I'd up the number of Paris and Thanatos or add a few Eions. 

My personal fleet composition for a decent late-, but not endgame fleet is 1 Phoenix, Autumn, Athens and Valiant; 3 marathons; 2 Orions, a thermopylae if I'm lucky. Cruiser compliment is 5 eions, 5 halcyons, 5-10 makos, and around the same number of Charons. Then fill up the rest with Parises and Thanatos in a roughly 3:2 ratio respectively. End up with around 30:20 ideally, though that gets expensive. 

For defence, I've finally discovered mines, and they are fantastic. A layer of mines with a defensive fleet and a SMAC backbone is unbreakable. I managed to leave one planet with no fleet and it still survived.

Edit: Forgot the Athens. Really useful, especially seeing as its level six ability lets you build defences in a flash.

• Cole Protocol likes this

#17 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

Honestly the UNSC is essentially bring the most amount of MACs as possible but sorry but it's a frigate spam. 

That's how the UNSC is designed to be. To bring numerical superiority against the Covenant.

The Marathon and Autumns are the only capitals you ever need. All the other capitals are essentially eye candy.

#18 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

It's almost a shame Sins matches get so big that you resort to just attacking En Masse. Halo battles were rarely that big and almost certainly the size of a maxed fleet. I'm not one for Micromanaging but when you've got less than 10 or 15 units it's really satisfying. One of my favourite moments from my last match was facing a Super Destroyer with a Phoenix and 4 Thanatoses, and a perfectly timed shiva. Another consisted of a battlegroup of about 15 parises jumping into an asteroid field then, after a pause and some frantic clicking, destroying every one of the 5 stationed covenant ships simultaneously. 

#19 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Honestly the UNSC is essentially bring the most amount of MACs as possible but sorry but it's a frigate spam. 

That's how the UNSC is designed to be. To bring numerical superiority against the Covenant.

The Marathon and Autumns are the only capitals you ever need. All the other capitals are essentially eye candy.

This is true, but I know that you play to win. There's nothing wrong with that at all, this is a thread about strategy. I'll usually take a more fun strategy over the statistically correct one. Frigate spam never felt fun to me anyway.

• Cole Protocol likes this

#20 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

This is true, but I know that you play to win. There's nothing wrong with that at all, this is a thread about strategy. I'll usually take a more fun strategy over the statistically correct one. Frigate spam never felt fun to me anyway.

Thank you moustachio, for reassuring me im not the only one who thinks frigate spam and other things like it are strange and feel stupid to use.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users