#1 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Steam:RalphRoberts
  • LocationMain bridge of [REDACTED]

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Mines + SMAC + Mines + Anchor station w/ full SABRE capacity + Mines + Hangers guarding the SMAC's + Mines + Mines.

"Like the View?"

Once upon a time, I played this game called Neo Scavenger. After being beaten to death several times, I decided I liked it.

#2 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Not me. Sadface. Only person who can't do it.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#3 ElOscar24

ElOscar24

Crewman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

Just build a ton of ships and SMACs to defend your worlds. What I do when I play on a map with more than one star system is I try to conquer the planets around my home star. That way, to prevent any enemy ships from spreading through out my star system, I could build a ton of SMACs is the areas of my gravity wells that are most likely to have phase lanes.

#4 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Not me. Sadface. Only person who can't do it.

Its easy, just make a "wall" of smacs, anchor station/SABRE hangers right behind them, and 150 mines in front of them!

EDIT: Defense coordination also helps.

Once upon a time, I played this game called Neo Scavenger. After being beaten to death several times, I decided I liked it.

#5 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Yeh that really doesn't work for me at least.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#6 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Yeh that really doesn't work for me at least.

Well.... it works best on large gravity wells, and works even better if you back it up with a fleet.

#7 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yeh, i rely on a QRF fleet to defend planets, and a reserve fleet to plug up the gaps, that leaves very little room for an assault fleet.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#8 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Honestly you need both. Defensive platforms should only supplement your fleets, not be a catchall defense.

Really to win as the UNSC you need to turtle and build up your eco, and get their cap ships and support ships, then you can easily kill anyone. Assuming that is if your eco has been built better than your opponent.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#9 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

Honestly you need both. Defensive platforms should only supplement your fleets, not be a catchall defense.

Really to win as the UNSC you need to turtle and build up your eco, and get their cap ships and support ships, then you can easily kill anyone. Assuming that is if your eco has been built better than your opponent.

Yeah, but if you make enough defenses he will not attack with just enough to bomb a planet, he will be forced to craft a massive invasion force. This gives you time to warp in your fleet (because you should have bought both SADAR research).

#10 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Covenant maneuverability is some kind of awesome though.  I've had my Covenant fleet slipspace in, reposition itself and then vaporize the UNSC fleet from behind before they can bring their guns to bare.

#11 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Covenant maneuverability is some kind of awesome though.  I've had my Covenant fleet slipspace in, reposition itself and then vaporize the UNSC fleet from behind before they can bring their guns to bare.

Yes, that is always a risk. :)

#12 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Another tactic is to just bypass the well defended world altogether

#13 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

I play the UNSC with 0 Defensive structures built. You'll find a severe lack of SMACs and mines at my planets.

I rush the Covenant.

• Bornstellaris, zaun3694 and SternuS like this

#14 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

I would love to see that

#15 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

I play the UNSC with 0 Defensive structures built. You'll find a severe lack of SMACs and mines at my planets.

I rush the Covenant.

Rovert10's answer to any problem: RUSH IT!
Flood problems? Rush em!
UNSC problems? Rush em!
Covenant problems? Rush em!
Roommate problems? Rush em! (?)
  • Centurian128, zaun3694, SternuS and 2 others like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#16 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Roommate problems? Rush em! (?)

Unable, I lack the bat to do so.

• sloosecannon, Lavo and RalphRoberts like this

#17 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Who ya gonna call?

#18 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

Unable, I lack the bat to do so.

What the fuck HAHAHA

Believe it or not, SMACs aren't that powerful. Some DDS-class carriers and your defences are gone.

From what I've learned during my long career of RTS gamer, relying completely on your defences is a risk; towers and walls are good, but they won't defend you forever. The best defence is the offence.

• SPECTRE and RalphRoberts like this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#19 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

What the fuck HAHAHA

Believe it or not, SMACs aren't that powerful. Some DDS-class carriers and your defences are gone.

From what I've learned during my long career of RTS gamer, relying completely on your defences is a risk; towers and walls are good, but they won't defend you forever. The best defence is the offence.

Indeed, my point is that if you have a good enough defense, the enemy's attack will be delayed long enough until you are ready to attack him, or at least hold your own when he does attack.

Fleets are of course better than defenses, but if you use defenses to last long enough to build your economy, that enables you to create a large fleet capable of making your opponent(s) think twice about attacking you.

#20 Kevik70

Kevik70

The Infinity Idea Guy

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFolor Base

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Indeed, my point is that if you have a good enough defense, the enemy's attack will be delayed long enough until you are ready to attack him, or at least hold your own when he does attack.

Fleets are of course better than defenses, but if you use defenses to last long enough to build your economy, that enables you to create a large fleet capable of making your opponent(s) think twice about attacking you.

I have almost always found that a good ol Uber fleet of doom works like a charm against any single fleet an AI will toss your way. Mostly cause the AI is only capable of building 3 capital ships at a time (Yes that includes heroic+ difficulties)

Almost the largest fleet i could assemble vs a huge covie fleet ended in a lop sided victory for me. Took 400ish fleet point in losses but not a single capital ship. (They weren't grouped in a fleet so there wasn't that suicidal first cap ship charging in first.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users