• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

Ok, so as most of you know I'm not great with Halo lore (no books, seen legends, played all games minus halo 2).

One thing I noticed in Halo 4 was Roland, I've got a soft spot for A.I. (Especially ones dressed as WWI Fighter pilots) and I noticed that the bastard overrode his override code? Is that supposed to be spectacular; is Roland a new generation of A.I. or am I missing something, because initially I was quite impressed and wondered if I could get the experts' opinions on it.

#2 Scorpii

Scorpii

Code Monkey #777

• Mod Staff
  • 359 posts
  • Steam:acbrother1

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:11 AM

Ok, so as most of you know I'm not great with Halo lore (no books, seen legends, played all games minus halo 2).

One thing I noticed in Halo 4 was Roland, I've got a soft spot for A.I. (Especially ones dressed as WWI Fighter pilots) and I noticed that the bastard overrode his override code? Is that supposed to be spectacular; is Roland a new generation of A.I. or am I missing something, because initially I was quite impressed and wondered if I could get the experts' opinions on it.

I'm not exactly an expert on Halo lore, but due to the fact that the Infinity does have Forerunner technology integrated into it, I think it would be fair to guess that Roland is a new generation of AIs that might have Forerunner tech integrated into his systems. Again, not 100% sure if that's a good assumption

SPAM ALL THE CHARONS AND HAIL THE MOD STAFF

"Let's Get It On" -The Flood whispering to me

Posted Image

#3 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

In Thursday War the AI B.B. mentions the idea that he is an AI created by other AIs but this may have been in jest, to wind up Halsey.

• SPECTRE likes this

#4 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:27 AM

I don't think it was a legitimate overwrite code, probably more of a backdoor/bug type deal. Even if it was legit I am pretty sure Cortana or Black Box talks about overwrite codes and being able to turn them off/ overwrite them.

In fact in Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian Mo Ye (the AI) says although she is designed and taught to follow the three laws of robotics she can overwrite them when ever she wants.

Also I think Roland is dressed as an American WW2 pilot.

In Thursday War the AI B.B. mentions the idea that he is an AI created by other AIs but this may have been in jest, to wind up Halsey.

That is exactly what it was, a hoax to mess with Halsey, which B/B admits to. In fact in Mortal Dictata it is confirmed that he had a human brain donated.

I think the idea of AI helping build other AI (not independently) is quite interesting though... But things could turn all Terminator-y real fast.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#5 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:25 AM

I don't think it was a legitimate overwrite code, probably more of a backdoor/bug type deal. Even if it was legit I am pretty sure Cortana or Black Box talks about overwrite codes and being able to turn them off/ overwrite them.

In fact in Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian Mo Ye (the AI) says although she is designed and taught to follow the three laws of robotics she can overwrite them when ever she wants.

Mo ye cant overwrite the three laws, they are always present in her decision making its just that she is able to bend the rules not break them entirely, btw to overwrite something means to permenantly replace it with something else thats independant of the original.

Also didnt Halsey invent the method of creating smart AIs, I recall she secretly kept 6 of the cores, some would later become Kalmya(sp) and Cortana and if she did invent this tech and make it widespread available to the UNSC it would be feasable that she would leave overide codes in the software that may be overlooked by those that would be using them, strange the similarity to that thinking and how SOTP is being made, think if our modders attempted to make the game from scratch, it would take a long time to reinvent every line of code rather than just modding the existing game that is successful without needing to know the entirity of the SOASE coding,

so to put it simply Halsey(or who ever created the AI core) has already done all the leg work, it just needs the doner brain to be burned into it.

#6 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

Mo ye cant overwrite the three laws, they are always present in her decision making its just that she is able to bend the rules not break them entirely, btw to overwrite something means to permenantly replace it with something else thats independant of the original.

"Two reasons," she said. "First, in my present state of coherence and security clearance, I‘m hamstrung by adefault safety precaution—Asimov‘s First Law of Robotics. I cannot under any circumstances harm or by inaction cause harm to come to a human. When I‘m running at full capacity I can ignore that one at will. I used to ignore it all the time, in fact"

Halsey didn't invent the method, just broke laws and improved it. Cortana was made from a living, or freshly harvested (not clear), human brain (incidentally from Halsey's clone) which... I don't know... made the Smart AI smarter... I guess. In any case Cortana was advanced for her time but I am pretty sure BB is a newer, and therefore better, generation of AI.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#7 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:30 AM

I'm not exactly an expert on Halo lore, but due to the fact that the Infinity does have Forerunner technology integrated into it, I think it would be fair to guess that Roland is a new generation of AIs that might have Forerunner tech integrated into his systems. Again, not 100% sure if that's a good assumption

Only the engines are Forerunner, nothing else on Infinity is Forerunner.

• CanadaMan7 likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:42 AM

Halsey didn't invent the method, just broke laws and improved it. Cortana was made from a living, or freshly harvested (not clear), human brain (incidentally from Halsey's clone) which... I don't know... made the Smart AI smarter... I guess. In any case Cortana was advanced for her time but I am pretty sure BB is a newer, and therefore better, generation of AI.

the laws for creating smart ais pointed toward only being create them from brains of deceased doners, it was illegal to flash clone your own brain and use that, which halsey had done on more than one occasion(think she prepared 6 AI matrixes and only used 2 or 3), she would have been passed over for the selection candidate list to have it done legally even upon her death as she would not have met the mentally stable cryteria needed, no brain defects, no personality abnormalities, no psycopaths otherwise those flaws would manifest in the emergent AI.

As for Mo Ye, that is pretty much what I said, you just incorrectly used the term overwrite which changes how you ment it, when she is in full control of her faculties she has almost as much free will as any human but when she is splintered off from the whole it seems that Mo Ye has less freedom than a dumb AI and if they all begin with the 3 laws at the heart of their programming then this would have created issues during the Innie wars(being forced to target ships with other humans onboard)

#9 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:55 AM

When you think about it Windows OS has a lot of junk code (c++) in it dating back from when it was first wrote, from what i hear you can still activate said codes, which really have no functionality on a modern computer.

AI's are technology, so when they have programming added, perhaps they have snippets of coding from previous gens of AI, so when Halsey undid the iridium, perhaps it was just an older code, which rather than imprisons Rolands personality, it just locks him out until he can hack it again.

Perhaps rather than deleting explorer .exe, it just shuts it down until it can reboot.

Or in this case personality interface/free will.exe or something like that.

On a side note my grandmother deleted explorer.exe and windows:C once and wondered why it didn't work after being told it would make her computer run faster...

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#10 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

When you think about it Windows OS has a lot of junk code (c++) in it dating back from when it was first wrote, from what i hear you can still activate said codes, which really have no functionality on a modern computer.

AI's are technology, so when they have programming added, perhaps they have snippets of coding from previous gens of AI, so when Halsey undid the iridium, perhaps it was just an older code, which rather than imprisons Rolands personality, it just locks him out until he can hack it again.

Perhaps rather than deleting explorer .exe, it just shuts it down until it can reboot.

Or in this case personality interface/free will.exe or something like that.

On a side note my grandmother deleted explorer.exe and windows:C once and wondered why it didn't work after being told it would make her computer run faster...

when you put it like that it might be closer to Terminator 3, towards the end the T-X corrupts Arnies system but a full shutdown restores him, Arnie must run on linux, no way a Windows based OS would survive that unscathed, be funny if he did run on windows, during a fight he suffers lag and prone to viruses and excessively large updates. :D

• SPECTRE likes this

#11 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:30 AM

when you put it like that it might be closer to Terminator 3, towards the end the T-X corrupts Arnies system but a full shutdown restores him, Arnie must run on linux, no way a Windows based OS would survive that unscathed, be funny if he did run on windows, during a fight he suffers lag and prone to viruses and excessively large updates. :D

It's crazy how many Windows problems are fixed by a reboot though... I kid you not, the number 1 problem fixer for Windows is to reboot.

As some Linux banner thingy says:

"Windows problems? Reboot! Linux problems? beRoot!"
  • D4RKST0RM99 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#12 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'm not updated to Mortal Dictata, but in the first two books BB was described as the culmination of AI achievement. It is possible that in 4 years UNSC managed to further evolve AIs, and it is highly probable that Roland was assigned to the Infinity because it is the best of the best.

Surely though, it isn't Forerunner.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#13 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

I'm not updated to Mortal Dictata, but in the first two books BB was described as the culmination of AI achievement. It is possible that in 4 years UNSC managed to further evolve AIs, and it is highly probable that Roland was assigned to the Infinity because it is the best of the best.

Surely though, it isn't Forerunner.

Well the brain that BB comes from was very old (from being harvested).

No spoilers for SternuS

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#14 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Well the brain that BB comes from was very old (from being harvested).

No spoilers for SternuS

pq4f88beee.jpg

• Moustachio86 and D4RKST0RM99 like this

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#15 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

It was poorly worded. I should say it took some time from being harvested to being formed into an AI.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#16 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

It was poorly worded. I should say it took some time from being harvested to being formed into an AI.

So no more shocking-revelation thing?

#17 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

So no more shocking-revelation thing?

No is revelation, gives much insight to BB.

• SternuS likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#18 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

I'm sure it was in one of the kilo 5 books a monitor is compared to a UNSC AI with a simplistic reason for the 7 year lifespan and how forerunner AIs dont have this problem,

an AI is explained a starting from a centerpoint that expands on a 2 or even 3 dimensional plane, the more it learns or thinks- the more ground it covers and begins to take up more room and continues to radiate outwards until it reaches its limit say after 7 years it collapes in on itself, forerunner AI do expand by learning in the same way but(if you can imagine it) in 4 dimensional space.

Spoiler

#19 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I thought it was similar to human memories, where you classify memories and knowledge, the more related information the more connections, but there comes a point where there are too many connections. Thats why generally more intelligent people are much more eccentric.  

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#20 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

I thought it was similar to human memories, where you classify memories and knowledge, the more related information the more connections, but there comes a point where there are too many connections. Thats why generally more intelligent people are much more eccentric.  

Their is that aspect of it, it was a simplistic explanation, safe to say the AI gets weighed down by its own ever expanding intellect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users