#41 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

Actually, the (for the moment) end of the mod is 2557, because Mantle's Approach. So if they could stretch shields over a three mile long warship, I'm sure they can do it on a space station that's maybe 600x600 meters. I like the one guy who drew it's interpretation (I would know your name if you posted more...) Station research NEEDS to be in the defensive tree, offensive upgrading already takes 40-ish minutes overall. Other than that your points are mostly fine. Hangars should be same as vanilla. Construction pods should start with 2 pods but at 0% speed, (they can be ship breaking yards) and gradually upgrade.
Just my opinion.

Ahem...
Technically the mod is build-your-own-canon, starting before the fall of Reach and into the "future"
[/major nitpick]
Looks awesome by the way, although I don't think the upgrade path will be linear (IE you can either get defenses or shipyards or [insert other upgrades here] first - none of them are (can?) be prereqs for each other)
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#42 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

Ahem...
Technically the mod is build-your-own-canon, starting before the fall of Reach and into the "future"
[/major nitpick]
Looks awesome by the way, although I don't think the upgrade path will be linear (IE you can either get defenses or shipyards or [insert other upgrades here] first - none of them are (can?) be prereqs for each other)

Hence the (for the moment) comment. The game for right now isn't projected to include anything beyond 2557.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#43 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

Remember we are going to be rebuilding the research tree of each faction... once a few of us finish the semester ;-)

Good, I hate the research tree as is.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#44 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hence the (for the moment) comment. The game for right now isn't projected to include anything beyond 2557.

But it could...
We don't have an end date because the mod's canon differs from the true Halo canon. Anything (within reason) could happen
#define true false

Spoiler

#45 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Yeh like an older ship like the Athens carrier magically staying in service beyond the eion which was still in service at reach...

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#46 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

But it could...
We don't have an end date because the mod's canon differs from the true Halo canon. Anything (within reason) could happen

.DOM EHT FO NOITULOVE DNA SSERGORP EHT ROF WEIV RUOY OT EREHDA OT DEGNAHC EB TON YAM RO YAM SIHT RETAL .7552 TSOM EHT TA OT NONAC NI SI GNIHTYREVE EMIT TNESERP EHT TA .TNEMOM EHT ROF DIAS I YHW STAHT TINMAD DOG

Yeh like an older ship like the Athens carrier magically staying in service beyond the eion which was still in service at reach...

!wonk reven uoY .ecudorp ot evisnepxe ,ngised xelpmoc ,ytilauq rapbuS ?did nohtaraM eht seussi emas eht decaf noiE eht ebyaM .desirprus eb t'ndluow I os ni si noyclaH eht naem I tuB .ahah edud hcum taht uoy evig ll'I ?uoy t'nera ,rekcufrehtom tnetsisrep a er'uoY

Edited by sloosecannon, 22 April 2014 - 10:37 AM.
Don't shout at an admin. U+200E...

Spoiler

Spoiler

#47 TheFireofPatience

TheFireofPatience

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

personally I'd prefer some of the later research should let you use power generators on the planet, i.e. stopping all resource production for the gravity well, and SEVERELY reducing the MAC reload times for the station, or maybe even the SuperMACs in orbit so that it would be a massive deterent for any 'would be' attackers.

#48 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

Figured I'd make this visual.

First up, the regular Anchor 9 model:

Then with a hangar upgrade

After that a maxed out weapons upgrade (Archer pods not yet showing)

Then a trading upgrade:

And finally it's also able to produce ships with the shipyard upgrade:

Damn. Looks beautiful. Great work there man!

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#49 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

I love this idea. The anchor as-is works pretty well but this would make it a fantastic addition. I agree with the sentiment that it'd be nice to be able to have a fully upgraded station as long as I have the dollar to throw into it. Also that concept art looks great, I can't wait. 

#50 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

This is a cool thread!

The UNSC Hopeful is pretty much an Anchor station where Carter becomes a Spartan-III in the Birth of a Spartan trailer for Reach.  Perhaps the station can have an ability/abilities that have something to do with Spartans or hospital functions?  (not making any real suggestions, just asking if there are suggestions that can spring from that info)

http://halo.wikia.co...ki/UNSC_Hopeful

#51 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

This is a cool thread!

The UNSC Hopeful is pretty much an Anchor station where Carter becomes a Spartan-III in the Birth of a Spartan trailer for Reach.  Perhaps the station can have an ability/abilities that have something to do with Spartans or hospital functions?  (not making any real suggestions, just asking if there are suggestions that can spring from that info)

http://halo.wikia.co...ki/UNSC_Hopeful

The Hopeful is a ship, not a station

• Rocket1615 likes this
Posted Image

#52 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:02 AM

The Hopeful is a ship, not a station

The picture of it looks similar enough to Anchor 9 that I think we can consider them in the same class.  Death Star is a "station" but moves like a ship and can go into hyperspace.  What difference does it make?

#53 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

The picture of it looks similar enough to Anchor 9 that I think we can consider them in the same class.  Death Star is a "station" but moves like a ship and can go into hyperspace.  What difference does it make?

The Death star is the size of a small moon, so it really doesn't compare, while the Hopeful used to be an Anchor station, it is now a ship, since it can move in slipspace and a normal  Anchor Station cannot.

Posted Image

#54 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

By technicality anchor 9 is also a ship, it can also move, it has the same thrusters, UNSC hopeful is essentially two anchor stations welded together with a slipspace drive.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#55 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

By technicality anchor 9 is also a ship, it can also move, it has the same thrusters, UNSC hopeful is essentially two anchor stations welded together with a slipspace drive.

But you wouldn't say the ISS is a ship just because it can move a bit

Posted Image

#56 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

before it's asked, no the starbase won't move...
#define true false

Spoiler

#57 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

before it's asked, no the starbase won't move...

Kind of logical

Posted Image

#58 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

But you wouldn't say the ISS is a ship just because it can move a bit

Actually it can't leave orbit so it can't be a ship.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#59 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Actually it can't leave orbit so it can't be a ship.

Not strictly true...
You could escape from Earth's orbit by golfing if you REALLY wanted to. It's just not feasible to get it to leave orbit
  • Defender0 likes this
#define true false

Spoiler

#60 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Not strictly true...
You could escape from Earth's orbit by golfing if you REALLY wanted to. It's just not feasible to get it to leave orbit

Interesting article. But can't apply to a station. A ship can enter an orbit, but a station can't terminate orbit without a rather large hand still.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users