38 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:43 AM

After being hyped as the "Culmination of Human Achievement", Infinity's brief track record has been pretty damned embarrassing.  I mean before the vessel was even christened it was boarded by rebel forces and nearly hijacked.  Then it crash landed on Requiem, and sure it scored a few kills on CRS-class light cruisers (lol), but it was boarded again.  Then during the Requiem Campaign it did pretty well in space against an ORS-class and a few light cruisers, but then it got disabled and infiltrated again.  Now against the New Colonial Alliance and some mercs it got pierced in an outright space battle.  

I dunno if its gross incompetence or what, but hell, the Pillar of Autumn has a better battle record than Infinity.  It was able to down a Supercruiser during the Battle of Reach, survived the bloodiest battle of the war, and scored three kills on vastly superior CCS-class battlecruisers.  

So far Infinity has been shown to not really be worth half the UNSC defense budget for decades.

#2 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

It got boarded when there were almost no guard on board, second time, it got boarded because of teleporting, it crashed on Requiem because Requiem just pulled everything to it.

Posted Image

#3 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:24 PM

second time, it got boarded because of teleporting

It's not teleporting, or at least, it hasn't been specified yet.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#4 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

It's not teleporting, or at least, it hasn't been specified yet.

Mini slipspace things

Posted Image

#5 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

It got boarded when there were almost no guard on board, second time, it got boarded because of teleporting, it crashed on Requiem because Requiem just pulled everything to 

And how retarded does it sound to have something taking up half your military budget having no guards on board.  Not even a Spartan detachment.  Yes because in spite of having the "most brilliant scientists" aboard they brought a forerunner relic aboard the ship in spite of knowing from the MC's briefing that the Didact turned the entire world against them.  Which was fine until the vessel was nearly overrun.  

#6 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:51 PM

And how retarded does it sound to have something taking up half your military budget having no guards on board.  Not even a Spartan detachment.  Yes because in spite of having the "most brilliant scientists" aboard they brought a forerunner relic aboard the ship in spite of knowing from the MC's briefing that the Didact turned the entire world against them.  Which was fine until the vessel was nearly overrun.  

It was supposed to be a secret, the more guards you have, more chance it gets leaked

Posted Image

#7 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

It was supposed to be a secret, the more guards you have, more chance it gets leaked

Not if you station Spartan-IIs and IIIs aboard it.  

#8 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Not if you station Spartan-IIs and IIIs aboard it.  

Yeah, because a lot of those still lived.... Most were trapped in onyx, and god knows how many SPARTAN IIIs survived the war

Posted Image

#9 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

This, some of the worlds most secure locations have no guards at all.
A lot of army bases in Northern Ireland don't have guards, fences, signs or anything. It just looks like a big house.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#10 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

Yeah, because a lot of those still lived.... Most were trapped in onyx, and god knows how many SPARTAN IIIs survived the war

Infinity has been under construction for like 2 decades bro.  When they were creating hundreds of Spartan IIIs it makes no sense why they wouldn't have a detachment of people guarding it.  I mean the thing was taking up half the defense budget already, what's a dozen Spartans to that?

#11 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Infinity has been under construction for like 2 decades bro.  When they were creating hundreds of Spartan IIIs it makes no sense why they wouldn't have a detachment of people guarding it.  I mean the thing was taking up half the defense budget already, what's a dozen Spartans to that?

In the time of war 'bro', they kind of needed every soldier they have on the front lines, or training more super soldiers

• Defender0 likes this
Posted Image

#12 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

In the time of war 'bro', they kind of needed every soldier they have on the front lines, or training more super soldiers

With the investment put into Infinity they could likely buy a hundred thousand Spartan-IIIs.  Its stupid to leave an investment like that unguarded.  Take the Mass Effect Universe.  When the Crucible was under construction its existence was kept secret, its location even more secret and yet it had the entire Turian Seventh Fleet, Alliance Fifth Fleet, and likely elements of other fleets protecting it.  Why?  Because you don't leave your trump card (and the Cruicble cost a hell of a lot less than Infinity and took far less time) unguarded and susceptible to a handful of rogue agents taking it.  

#13 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

With the investment put into Infinity they could likely buy a hundred thousand Spartan-IIIs.  Its stupid to leave an investment like that unguarded.  Take the Mass Effect Universe.  When the Crucible was under construction its existence was kept secret, its location even more secret and yet it had the entire Turian Seventh Fleet, Alliance Fifth Fleet, and likely elements of other fleets protecting it.  Why?  Because you don't leave your trump card (and the Cruicble cost a hell of a lot less than Infinity and took far less time) unguarded and susceptible to a handful of rogue agents taking it.  

The Infinity couldn't win the war on it's own, and how many ships do you think the UNSC had left?

And it's in space, the chances of finding are so small, and don't compare two universes together, it just doesn't work

Posted Image

#14 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:11 PM

The UNSC Infinity at the time of the requiem Boarding i believe had most UNSC Marines and Spartans IVs on the ground with likely a few Marines and Spartan IVs on board. Thing is they were not expecting the Promeathens to board via slipspace or what ever. Also wasn't the Infinity built like right outside Sol or something so i mean really its unlikely the covies would of seen it anyways since it was so far from Earth. Another thing Spartan 3s just like the 2s were teenagers when given the Augs and before that they had a less extreme version of the 2s training so you know it took a quite a bit of time for a batch of spartan 3s they aren't like the IVs that they pluck out of the marines and ODSTs

Also I have no idea Chief was during the boarding likely in his quarters bitching and moaning that Cortana is dead while looking at Halo Rule 34 or something (for the idiots note the sarcasm in that last sentence)

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#15 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:29 PM

The Infinity is going to have the worst track record ever because its where all the action is always going to go down. Its now like a central deployment ship for the UNSC so its always going to be targeted. I wouldn't be surprised if the Covenant made a weapon with the sole intent of destroying Infinity.

• Bornstellaris likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#16 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

The Infinity couldn't win the war on it's own, and how many ships do you think the UNSC had left?

And it's in space, the chances of finding are so small, and don't compare two universes together, it just doesn't work

^Are you serious?  Its blatantly stated that Infinity was a fallback if Earth fell.  Not really that small in the Halo Universe.  Uh the situations are comparable, if anything the risk is even higher in the Mass Effect Universe due to indoctrination and the like.  I also don't think you are fathoming what a massive investment Infinity is.

The US spends 3.8% of its economy on the military, however based on historical precedence military totalitarian regimes it wouldn't be surprising if the UNSC spent 10% of their GDP.  Half of that means Infinity was costing 5% of the UNSC's total GDP per year for 15 years.  

So lets say the US built something worth of a military budget of 10% of total GDP per year.  That'd be 842.10 billion dollars a year, 1.26 trillion dollars over 15 years.  So yes leaving what would be in modern day equivalencies (which its not its worth much much more than that) a 1.26 trillion dollar investment sitting undefended and susceptible to hijacking is stupid.  Stupider still is having Spartan-IIIs like Jun walking around in suits when MJOLNIR armor is readily available.  

The point is that when they were spending all that money on Infinity they could have invested a tiny fraction of that to make sure something retarded like the incident in Initiation never occurred.

#17 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

^Are you serious? Its blatantly stated that Infinity was a fallback if Earth fell. Not really that small in the Halo Universe. Uh the situations are comparable, if anything the risk is even higher in the Mass Effect Universe due to indoctrination and the like. I also don't think you are fathoming what a massive investment Infinity is.
The US spends 3.8% of its economy on the military, however based on historical precedence military totalitarian regimes it wouldn't be surprising if the UNSC spent 10% of their GDP. Half of that means Infinity was costing 5% of the UNSC's total GDP per year for 15 years.

So lets say the US built something worth of a military budget of 10% of total GDP per year. That'd be 842.10 billion dollars a year, 1.26 trillion dollars over 15 years. So yes leaving what would be in modern day equivalencies (which its not its worth much much more than that) a 1.26 trillion dollar investment sitting undefended and susceptible to hijacking is stupid. Stupider still is having Spartan-IIIs like Jun walking around in suits when MJOLNIR armor is readily available.

The point is that when they were spending all that money on Infinity they could have invested a tiny fraction of that to make sure something retarded like the incident in Initiation never occurred.

Unless orbital elevators and surface-space cargo shipping reduced costs THAT much, that's insane to think it was only that expensive. We need to see some economics in upcoming Halo books. I'm interested in seeing the cost of each ship, Infinity, and how much debt the UNSC racked up. Would that even be debt if you're fighting for the survival of your own race?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#18 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Unless orbital elevators and surface-space cargo shipping reduced costs THAT much, that's insane to think it was only that expensive. We need to see some economics in upcoming Halo books. I'm interested in seeing the cost of each ship, Infinity, and how much debt the UNSC racked up. Would that even be debt if you're fighting for the survival of your own race?

I think fighting for your right to live makes debt kinda null. Really think about if your fighting for the right of your species to live I don't think anybody gives a damn if you spend every credit or coin you have

But yeah having economics for Halo would be nice as I'd love to see the cost of a standard UNSC Cruiser or even better the cost of a plot device

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#19 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

I am saying that if the US were to build a vessel relatively the same cost Infinity was to the UNSC that'd be the cost. 

#20 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

I am saying that if the US were to build a vessel relatively the same cost Infinity was to the UNSC that'd be the cost.

Holy fuck. Economy must be huge.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users