• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

So who here think's the Mantle is gonna spark a whole new religionist fever on earth and all her colony's in the halo-verse? Or am I just getting my hopes worked up?

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - UNSC play through

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z31qnK9A6Ns Part 1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=36Fxu7LQ-gE Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GvGB87lwebg Part 3

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWpYkrVkiuI Part 4

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - Covenant play through coming soon

#2 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:52 PM

I think you're misunderstanding the Mantle and how public the UNSC was with the Didact's attack.

• MrChipps and Bornstellaris like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#3 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I think you're misunderstanding the Mantle and how public the UNSC was with the Didact's attack.

Perhaps he means the ideal of the Mantle rather than the Mantle warship?
  • Moustachio86 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#4 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:58 PM

How public were they?

Kind of like the Dead Space religious thing that happened with the "reanimation" and shit?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

I doubt there is going to be a religion created on the basis of us taking the Mantle.

1. We already know the Precursors aren't gods and the Forerunners (the previous Mantle holders) weren't gods nor religious.

2. The last civilization to view anything slightly religiously in the way of Forerunners or Precursors were the Covenant so I doubt any human would want to take up any religion with connections to the Covenant.

3. Like was stated the UNSC and/or ONI probably didn't release much, if any (true), information.

But then again the way some of the resent stories have been going anything is possible.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#6 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

Well to be honest there isn't much detail the UNSC as a whole knows about the Forerunners or the Mantle. The only two beings to know everything thus far are the Master Chief and Cortana - Cortana held a lot of data and the Chief got a lot of it first hand. Everyone else that came in contact with the tech died (04, 05) or the installation was destroyed before further studies could be made (04B, the Ark, Requiem). ONI has control of Installation 07 and Trevelyan, but even then they have a hard time deciphering Forerunner technology, as displayed on Ivanoff Station. The only known person to come into contact with the Eld was the Master Chief as far as we know (Halo 4).

• Bornstellaris and SternuS like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:00 AM

ONI has control of Installation 07

You mean 03...Installation 07 is kind of super secret...

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#8 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:40 AM

However, Cortana did interface directly with the rest of the UNSC during her and Johns short sojourn on Earth after the whole installation 04/flying elephant episode. So some information should start filtering through the higher-upps in  the chain of command, especially since there seems to be subcontracted academics scouring known space for forerunner relics, they can never shut up about anything that gives them cred.

Sweden can into gender!

#9 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

However, Cortana did interface directly with the rest of the UNSC during her and Johns short sojourn on Earth after the whole installation 04/flying elephant episode. So some information should start filtering through the higher-upps in  the chain of command, especially since there seems to be subcontracted academics scouring known space for forerunner relics, they can never shut up about anything that gives them cred.

Your english is slipping down to as bad as mine. "Return"?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#10 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Is there any source of this? Thus is the first tome I've heard that a civilian group was looking specifically for forerunner artifacts.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

Is there any source of this? Thus is the first tome I've heard that a civilian group was looking specifically for forerunner artifacts.

Those two typos made that sentence sound very different in my head than it was intended to.

I imagine there would be people at least curious about the Forerunners... After all, I'm sure the UEG couldn't cover up all the Forerunner artifacts, especially after the whole giant slipspace portal in Kenya thing... so at the very least you might have adventurous types going around looking for Forerunner stuff.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#12 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

so at the very least you might have adventurous types going around looking for Forerunner stuff.

I used to be an adventurer like you......

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#13 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

I used to be an adventurer like you......

until you took hard light to the knee?

#14 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:46 AM

I honestly had forgot that the Mantle approach even existed when I made this thread. I was speaking more about the ideals.

How public were they?

Kind of like the Dead Space religious thing that happened with the "reanimation" and shit?

Less... reanimation and more protection of all life forms.

Those two typos made that sentence sound very different in my head than it was intended to.

I imagine there would be people at least curious about the Forerunners... After all, I'm sure the UEG couldn't cover up all the Forerunner artifacts, especially after the whole giant slipspace portal in Kenya thing... so at the very least you might have adventurous types going around looking for Forerunner stuff.

Ya but I figure that there is gonna be a leak pretty soon about this Mantle. I was under the impression that ONI has been making some head-way AFTER the war with access forerunner tech and what not.

One of the reasons why I had even brought this up, is because for some reason only 'some' humans now are able to access Forerunner tech or devices which could be linked to hidden Geneseed's inside the body. So wouldn't it be reasonable that we were 'programed' to finally take back what was stripped from our dead cold hands?

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - UNSC play through

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z31qnK9A6Ns Part 1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=36Fxu7LQ-gE Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GvGB87lwebg Part 3

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWpYkrVkiuI Part 4

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - Covenant play through coming soon

#15 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:22 PM

haha phone swipe. Idk how to change it back right now so I'm rolling with the auto select.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#16 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:19 AM

There is some type of ONI report mentioning them at the end of Halo: Evolutions I believe

Your english is slipping down to as bad as mine. "Return"?

What do you mean?

Sweden can into gender!

#17 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:23 AM

There is some type of ONI report mentioning them at the end of Halo: Evolutions I believe What do you mean?

You used sojourn instead of return. Recently I have also noticed you slip a couple of times.
I've been slipping into my local dialect online.
Sojurn is used in my dialect. But not in most English dialects.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#18 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 04:56 AM

You used sojourn instead of return. Recently I have also noticed you slip a couple of times.
I've been slipping into my local dialect online.
Sojurn is used in my dialect. But not in most English dialects.

That's not a slipup, that's a conscious choice. Sojourn is a recognised word in Recieved Pronounciation, a dialect that I have been trained to speak and is spoken by roughly 3-4% of the Brittish public but mostly by officials.

Sweden can into gender!

#19 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

That's not a slipup, that's a conscious choice. Sojourn is a recognised word in Recieved Pronounciation, a dialect that I have been trained to speak and is spoken by roughly 3-4% of the Brittish public but mostly by officials.

I know, but what % of the world speaks british english anyway? and i would say more like 2% in the UK as a whole, and maybe as much as 50% in my specific area. Us brits change our dialect and accent in accordance with status (of who we're conversing to) and peerage.

Talking to one of my friends, i would talk with a thick Anglian-Essex accent, and would be talking short term.

Talking to a an elder lord or something i would speak with Recieved Pronounciation.

Talking to a random person without title it is a strange mix of the two, to allow them to understand where your from, and in a clear accent so they can still understand you.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#20 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:39 AM

Holy fucking shit every single thread gets derailed into a conversation about either the UK or the english language fucking stop. We're talking about giant hunks of titanium slinging 3000 tons of metal at 4% the speed of light at giant purple space dildos while they fight over a giant hoola hoop. This is getting extremely stupid and I hope a mod addresses this at some point. If you want to talk about this either message him or post in Jail or Off Topic about it.
  • Defender0 likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users