11 replies to this topic

#1 Redleader102

Redleader102

My name is Redleader, not Purpleleader!

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hello, welcome one and all. I've just had an idea that you may or may not like (isn't that how it generally works anyway? Posted Image).

In any case, here it is: Something about UNSC ships, capital ships in particular, bombarding a planet with nukes has been bothering me for awhile. As far as I know, the UNSC never nuked a planet to death over and over again, that outlook was favored more by the Covenant (with lots of plasma bombardment subbing in for the nukes).

Getting to the point, why not remove most of the UNSC capital ships capacity to bombard worlds in the first place and replace it with an 'invasion' ability that deals damage to the planet and population over time, and recharges at a moderate pace? This would (hopefully) make the mod feel less like vanilla sins in that regard. The Berlin-class frigate would still be an option for those of us who DO like to watch nukes rain from the sky.

Penny for your thoughts?
Out of darkness, these blades will light our way.

Glory and honor guide our acension.

On the blood of our fathers on the blood of our sons.

The true devotee honors our name with actions, not words.

Victory is secured not from the throne, but from the frontlines

#2 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

That's exactly what we had quite a while ago, but unfortunately I didn't bother to re-implement it after the great restructuring of '12. At it's core it's just a particle/sound swap, so updating the art assets (which is the only thing holding it back) has been pushed to the backburner compared to getting the rest of the UNSC fleet settled. Rest assured I'm with you on the idea that the UNSC bombing a planet into dust doesn't sit right canonically.

Pics or it didn't happen:
http://www.moddb.com...asions#imagebox

yLM4TEk.png

#3 Despoiler25

Despoiler25

Old Guard

• Inactive Staff
  • 154 posts
  • LocationAboard the Infinity Class UNSC Inquisitor

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Can't wait till the old way is back it was really cool seeing pelicans being deployed and heading for the planet.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Forerunner Cap Rush!
Lover of the Assault Carrier.
One of the "Old" Guard

#4 spartan-G257

spartan-G257

Gamma Company Recruit

• Contributor
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

question

will you be using the new pelican style or the old pelican style
and will you be adding drop-pods and pelicans or just pelicans
UNSC been beating the covies since 2525
Closed Beta Testing HHF
Hail the Commonwealth of Nations and long live the Queen
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

question

Answer:
I think we'll be going with the old pelican style, just since the date of the mod predates any of the newer designs.
As for using drop-pods with planetary invasions? In a way. Some capital ships have the ability to drop ODSTs on enemy/friendly worlds to drop/raise planet health respectively.
  • All Under Heaven likes this

yLM4TEk.png

#6 Necrontyr

Necrontyr

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I agree that this is an option that should be included at some point. I recently brought this question to light in a comment on the mod homepage. It would be interesting have this "Deploy Ground Forces" option as a way to take control of a planet without the total annihilation option that is there now. While the Berlin-class frigate would still have the option of deploying nukes to submit a enemy held planet, they would also be support vessels for ground operations. This could be seen by the player as the ship holding orbit around the planet, occasionally deploying and recovering additional Pelicans and firing at the planet with rail cannons, missiles, ect. (simulating ground support fire). Taking a planet via Ground Operations could allow for benefits regarding the retaining of upgrades to the planet that would otherwise be destroyed by orbital bombardment.

In addition, I thought it would be interesting to have a "Deploy ODST Company" as an option for a frigate- or destroyer-class as a way to subvert an enemy's hold over a planet (hurting a planets loyalty) or hindering its productivity/destroyer key structures. This ability could be available to multiple vessels, but it would probably be the most useful for a frigate- or destroyer-class vessel to allow them to quickly enter a planets orbit, deploy and escape or at least not be destroyed before completing the operation.

Likewise, the Covenant could have the same ability, but instead of deploying ODST's a Covenant frigate could deploy a team of Special Ops Elites to the planet with the same effects (as seen in Halo: Reach).

Just some thoughts.

#7 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

In addition, I thought it would be interesting to have a "Deploy ODST Company" as an option for a frigate- or destroyer-class as a way to subvert an enemy's hold over a planet (hurting a planets loyalty) or hindering its productivity/destroyer key structures. This ability could be available to multiple vessels, but it would probably be the most useful for a frigate- or destroyer-class vessel to allow them to quickly enter a planets orbit, deploy and escape or at least not be destroyed before completing the operation.

there is something like this in vanilla sins, the vasari Antorak Marauder has an ability that hampers all forms of production on a planet.

#8 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

As far as I know, the UNSC never nuked a planet to death over and over again,

You can't say that for certain.

#9 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Swear I thought there was an instance of the UNSC nuking an entire colony for the sake of combating the Insurrectionists.

#10 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Swear I thought there was an instance of the UNSC nuking an entire colony for the sake of combating the Insurrectionists.

I suppose it would be okay to keep nukes on the Berlin-class, but for the vast majority of cases, the UNSC seemed to use planetary invasions/orbital reinforcements.

yLM4TEk.png

#11 Necrontyr

Necrontyr

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

The UNSC deployed nuclear weapons on the colony of Far Isle in 2492, completely destroying the colony to contain a rebellion that took place on the planet.
  • Emberblaque likes this

#12 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

The UNSC deployed nuclear weapons on the colony of Far Isle in 2492, completely destroying the colony to contain a rebellion that took place on the planet.

Thus the ORION Project was started, in hopes of avoiding future events like these from transpiring.
  • Emberblaque likes this
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users