• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#21 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

The problem is, with a fleet of CCS, and some DDS, and CAS, you can have so many seraphs that they can alpha an SMAC platform easily.

you can alpha anything with enough fighters. the problem is that any competant UNSC opponent will have his SMACs surrounded by a fleet, and that fleet will have stalwarts and fighter support. this is where the supercruiser comes in, being able to just zap the SMACs from safety.

#22 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Thats why i rage about SVD spam.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#23 Antigeist

Antigeist

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

you can alpha anything with enough fighters. the problem is that any competant UNSC opponent will have his SMACs surrounded by a fleet, and that fleet will have stalwarts and fighter support. this is where the supercruiser comes in, being able to just zap the SMACs from safety.

Firstly, while you might be able to alpha anything with enough strikecraft, there's a difference between intentionally massing hilariously huge numbers of strikecraft and having 4 or 5 capitals with a combined total of 40 or seraphs. That's an easily achievable, practical number which doesn't require you to gimp your fleet by just spamming SDVs or something. Even if we assume it's true that seraphs wouldn't be effective in that situation and would get picked off too quickly to do any appreciable damage to SMAC defenses, what we're left with is essentially a 50-supply, 4000 credit structure-bashing capital.

And I still don't think that where you have a couple DDS and a couple Assault Carriers all loaded down with seraphs that static defenses/a defensive fleet can do enough damage to prevent you from killing a fair number of SMACs. Eventually they'll wipe the floor with the seraphs and you'll be left with no strikecraft, but you'll do enough damage to the static defenses to be effective. If one seraph does around 11 dps, 40 squadrons x however many seraphs per squadron is probably enough to alpha multiple SMACs at once on the first pass, which is way easier and cheaper than building Adjudicators for the sole purpose of bashing SMACs.

• Unikraken, VDNKh, Unleashed and 2 others like this

#24 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

The problem is, with a fleet of CCS, and some DDS, and CAS, you can have so many seraphs that they can alpha an SMAC platform easily. I've been having all my CCS sport fighters while my capitals use seraphs. A UNSC player might pepper in hangars and Stalwarts to provide AAA cover, but there's no way you can provide enough AAA cover to prevent a horde of 30-40+ squadrons of seraphs from running roughshod over a lot of your SMAC defenses in a very short amount of time. Even if you can't take out all of the SMAC platforms before your bombers are chewed up by AAA, you can always jump out and let your strikecraft regenerate; it'll take less time than it takes the debuff on newly-constructed SMACs to clear.

Actually, about 15 stalwarts has enough firepower to knock out pretty much any fleet before they do major damage. Also, a misconception a lot of people have: SMACs are not standalone defenses. They need a supporting fleet to do their job right or you will get crushed.

• Defender0, Lavo and Rocket1615 like this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#25 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Antigeist, the hero SotP needs. Now that 0.56 is released we're doing a massive overhaul of game balance, so informed comments like yours are invaluable to that effort.

• David0425 and Crisiss like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#26 Antigeist

Antigeist

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

Antigeist, the hero SotP needs. Now that 0.56 is released we're doing a massive overhaul of game balance, so informed comments like yours are invaluable to that effort.

That's very kind of you. Just trying to give a perspective that may or may not help. I still need to give the UNSC a shot after today's update.

As an aside, I typically am just stuck playing the AI, so if people want would like to throw down, I'd almost always prefer to play against a person than an AI; it's too easy to exploit the AI's idiocy and I think it hurts getting a full picture of where balance needs tweaking. My Steam ID is Antigeist.

• Unleashed likes this

#27 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Open up the SOTP file, double click and you'll see another SOTP file. Take it out of the SOTP file and put her in the mod folder. Then enable via the .txt.

If the problem persists download from this link. http://www.nexusmods...es/?id=13&pUp=1

I was being dumb. I was just putting the first SOTP folder in by mod folder, didn't realize you had to open it to get the right folder. Derp

• Stephan-338 likes this

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#28 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Antigeist I'd love to see you play Rovert...
  • Bornstellaris, Stephan-338 and Crisiss like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#29 Fleet ADM. Drian

Fleet ADM. Drian

Waging some sort of War for Terra

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationDeep Space

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:17 AM

My pretty feedback

First off I have been gone awhile, life takes it's toll and what not. So onto the review:

• I have found an interesting issue, and am not sure if something went awry in the download, install or what, but whenever I play against the UNSC, they use Covy things and vise versa, I will post some screen shots tomorrow when I get back, trust me, I was kinda going what is going on,  UNSC has a titan??, not fun trying to remake the fall of Reach, when an armada of Covys stand guard in place of the UNSC
  • I have to say the new models are beautiful, the old DDS, really never set right with me, don't ask why but it just looked wrong, the new one however feels to fit right in with the array of covy ships, I am not going to get into the demon placeholder of a titan
  • I assume you all already know this but the SDV corvette, has an incomplete model/texture not sure which, pic coming tomorrow to show
  • No major bugs to report, so congrats on that

I know this idea will probably be shot down, but why not give SMACs AF weaponry, I really never understood why there are no smaller guns on it, I mean really a multi-million if not billion orbital space gun and you don't give it the ability to deal with a wide range of hostile threats you already know about 

#30 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:00 AM

Mercy and Missionary classes both use the same VO

Shadows on the Halcyon don't work properly
Spoiler

Can't research research
Spoiler

Texture For Marathon is backwards.
Spoiler

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#31 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:22 AM

Kheva do you own the dlc?

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#32 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

I do.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#33 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:39 AM

I think the marathon was just inverted for its right side texture.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#34 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

The texture was to fix tangent maps, the research should have been removed, because culture is removed, with the Halcyon it's probably the tangent things

Posted Image

#35 Antigeist

Antigeist

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Antigeist I'd love to see you play Rovert...

I've never held myself out as some sort of Sins savant or anything. I can generally hold my own, but if it would please people to watch me get crushed by one of the developers, I'd be happy to play along. For science.

• Stephan-338 likes this

#36 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

I've never held myself out as some sort of Sins savant or anything. I can generally hold my own, but if it would please people to watch me get crushed by one of the developers, I'd be happy to play along. For science.

I like your spirit

Posted Image

#37 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:41 AM

I like your spirit

Aktually every PT has to endure this pain  :rolleyes:

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#38 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

Praise: 
New Planet Models make for amazing immersive gameplay. 
New DDS looks amazing in fleet movements and battles.
New Banshee model is amazing.
New SDV model is a vast improvement over the old.
CAS's resistance makes the vessel feel much more powerful. 
Banshee Interceptors are incredible.
Picket is amazing at annihilating UNSC scum.

Suggestions: 
The old shield and health buffs from the support CCS-capital be added to the CAS.
Titan be upscaled to feel more like a Titan.
Maybe the CCS should have 2 squadrons the SDV should have 1? 

Nitpicks:
Sanghelios doesn't have city lights.

#39 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

Oh dear god that would make the CCS and CAS so OP.

But would solves SDV spam.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#40 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:04 AM

Oh dear god that would make the CCS and CAS so OP.

But would solves SDV spam.

Isn't the purpose of the CCS and CAS to be the end all be all for the Covenant armada with pickets and SDVs sprinkled here and there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users