Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:23 PM

ThoseArePulseLasers.jpg

Pulse lasers one-shotting Marathon-class cruisers? idontthinkso.jpg

Also aren't pulse laser animations are faster and less sustained.

#122 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

Pulse lasers one-shotting Marathon-class cruisers? idontthinkso.jpg

Also aren't pulse laser animations are faster and less sustained.

Its not? it just sorta fizzels it.

And the beam animation changes here and there. those are pulse lasers.

#123 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

Its not? it just sorta fizzels it.

And the beam animation changes here and there. those are pulse lasers.

Fizzels? There was an explosion half the size of the cruiser...
Hmm, but I always thought Pulse Lasers were in batteries rather than individual weapon emplacements.

#124 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Fizzels? There was an explosion half the size of the cruiser...Hmm, but I always thought Pulse Lasers were in batteries rather than individual weapon emplacements.

I thought the opposite but hey, what do I know. Those definitely look like pulse lasers to me, though. AFAIK basically any Covenant weaponry would completely assrape UNSC ships, despite what the mod depicts. I would assume, like all other Covenant weapons, they can be tweaked in both firepower and duration. So they could be either really weak energy projectors or really strong pulse lasers. Anywho, the CAS is and always will be a very powerful ship and is in a pretty good spot balance-wise internally. They kill a low level Infinity in the same ratio that Shermans killed Tigers so that should tell you something about their strength.
  • Riftis likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#125 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

I thought the opposite but hey, what do I know. Those definitely look like pulse lasers to me, though. AFAIK basically any Covenant weaponry would completely assrape UNSC ships, despite what the mod depicts. I would assume, like all other Covenant weapons, they can be tweaked in both firepower and duration. So they could be either really weak energy projectors or really strong pulse lasers. Anywho, the CAS is and always will be a very powerful ship and is in a pretty good spot balance-wise internally. They kill a low level Infinity in the same ratio that Shermans killed Tigers so that should tell you something about their strength.

Yeah, it could be either. I was leaning towards projectors mostly because pulse lasers seem to be fired in batteries and are slightly less destructive. Wow, I'm guessing the CAS got buffed from the public build then?

#126 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 29 July 2015 - 08:38 PM

Yeah, it could be either. I was leaning towards projectors mostly because pulse lasers seem to be fired in batteries and are slightly less destructive. Wow, I'm guessing the CAS got buffed from the public build then?

No idea. Ask 343i. Could just be artistic license. Now that I've googled that tank ratio, I will clarify that the ratio is indeed 4-1. The last one will typically survive at low levels. This, of course, depends on the levels of all of the ships in the fight. Both CASs and Infinity.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#127 PLPM

PLPM

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

No idea. Ask 343i. Could just be artistic license. Now that I've googled that tank ratio, I will clarify that the ratio is indeed 4-1. The last one will typically survive at low levels. This, of course, depends on the levels of all of the ships in the fight. Both CASs and Infinity.

The 1-5 1-4 ratio is attibuted to several things.

One, the shermans operating in a "squad" of five and as such, when encountering a tiger sending such a squad setup, in close quarters and similar situation the Tiger would be hard pressed to destroy more than a single sherman before being flanked and destroyed.

Two, the worst case scenario in which it was open terrain, as far as I know it was indeed expected to lose the four shermans as the last one was able to position itself and destroy the tiger, in such scenario the tiger had the complete advantage with the 88 compared to the shermans 75.

And lets not forget that at certain point in the war, tigers tigers began being used to ambush and defend as the allied started closing in on germany. and that the previous numbers stand for the 75mm sherman and not the 76mm one.

there´s more complexity to getting accurate kill ratios than saying the fabled 1-5.

#128 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

The 1-5 1-4 ratio is attibuted to several things.

One, the shermans operating in a "squad" of five and as such, when encountering a tiger sending such a squad setup, in close quarters and similar situation the Tiger would be hard pressed to destroy more than a single sherman before being flanked and destroyed.

Two, the worst case scenario in which it was open terrain, as far as I know it was indeed expected to lose the four shermans as the last one was able to position itself and destroy the tiger, in such scenario the tiger had the complete advantage with the 88 compared to the shermans 75.

And lets not forget that at certain point in the war, tigers tigers began being used to ambush and defend as the allied started closing in on germany. and that the previous numbers stand for the 75mm sherman and not the 76mm one.

there´s more complexity to getting accurate kill ratios than saying the fabled 1-5.

You see, the reason I made the comment is to avoid that type of comment. But yes. 3 to take fire, 1 to flank and kill.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#129 PLPM

PLPM

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

In open terrain...

But lol, sorry if it was the type of comment you wanted to avoid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users