10 replies to this topic

#1 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

I am unsure if CaW has a galactic conquest mode, however for it, or whenever it is created, I advise that since race and AI specific starts can be modeled in EaW, I highly recommend having the AI start with a large amount of mines/income generators and some factories, as the AI has great difficulty in building these vital structures and rarely does so.

• DGaius likes this

#2 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

We do not have a GC mode yet, but it is in the works. We're all pretty much noobs when it comes to GC, so this is some great advice. I never heard of this problem though. Would you mind sharing where you picked this up?

Also, thanks for keeping the format (putting GC in the title). I greatly appreciate this as it makes things more organised!

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#3 Lavo

Lavo

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

I've found out the resource mine bit from my own experience. When you kill AI planets you will notice few will have mines, and they aren't always put in decent quantities on good planets (ex. Coruscant, Naboo) for whatever reason. I bought EaW, the original, on the first week of release, in CD format, so I have experience with modding the game. Oddly enough the base game did not make use of the fact that AI players can have different starts from human players, and I believe no mods have taken advantage of this either.

• DGaius likes this

#4 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Yeah, the AI will attack you with super strong fleets at first, depending on the mod, and then will peter off to using lots and lots of frigates and corvettes because they can't afford capital ships.

GC will be interesting though, however, all the maps will have to be custom made, because the vanilla maps suck for CaW gameplay

Spoiler

#5 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

That all sounds awfully familiar indeed. Good to see there's someone on SotP who's had the game as long as most of the CaW staff :) This advice is gold, thanks Lavo!

GC will be interesting though, however, all the maps will have to be custom made, because the vanilla maps suck for CaW gameplay

Wrong thread, but you're right :P And (obviously) it has always been the plan to replace vanilla levels. 

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#6 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

If you wanna see the "not enough money" difficulty in play, I can tell you the result of it. Look at Republic at War. The AI gets insane modifiers since it won't do anything without enough money.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Lavo

Lavo

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

And that could have been solved with proper GC maps, rather than absurd modifiers. Or, if it's possible to make a script that does this, give the AI a few free resource mines (and possibly factories) when they conquer a planet.

#8 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Yes, that's possible. Thrawn's Revenge did it so there's a random chance you get X building on X planet, so I'm sure that can be adjusted for an AI. Or just make the modifiers not retarded

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:37 AM

Best and balanced GC map I've every seen is from Awakening of the Rebellion 2.5.

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#10 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:35 AM

Best and balanced GC map I've every seen is from Awakening of the Rebellion 2.5.

I've been thinking about a propper response to this and I have come up with the following: This is, to you, a wonderfull statement. I have seen your affection for the AotR mod in your status and although it's been a while since I played it, I think I enjoyed previous versions too. However, a statement, either driven by opinion or not, is not much of a suggestion. Considering this is the suggestion and feedback subsection, particularly a topic about how to create a more efficient AI opponent, I feel this statement is inappropriate. It derails the thread (from AI related problems to 'best balanced GC') without even explaining why you think so. 

So here's what I think should be done: If you wish to help this mod and feel you can do so by stating AotR has created something worth emulating, start a topic about it and explain why this is so. If you do not wish to do so, I will go ahead and remove your and my comment. Despite the fact that our plans for GC are quite different from any other mod out there (dare I say, we're doing something completely different and far more interesting), we obviously have to build with the same blocks. We have to adhere to the same rules and thus I'd like to see why you think those GC maps work well. But again, in a new thread. That would than be a suggestion. 

#11 Michael_2553

Michael_2553

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Locationrock hill S.c

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

I am unsure if CaW has a galactic conquest mode, however for it, or whenever it is created, I advise that since race and AI specific starts can be modeled in EaW, I highly recommend having the AI start with a large amount of mines/income generators and some factories, as the AI has great difficulty in building these vital structures and rarely does so.

ok so i read this and i remembered something about GC and the ai.

the Ai builds mines in the original game and expantion as they lose planets. the more planets they lose the more they invest in building up.

for example. as soon as i start a game of GC in unmoded game, i take all my starting forces and attacked the zann (i hate the zann ability's) anyway in one game i left the zann one planet (the level 5 one that they always get at start) when i moved and attacked the planet i thought it was the last one. however when i broke through i saw that the zann had taken 8 other planets behind it. and every planet was maxed. i repeated this on many GC game mods and tested it out with other factions. the ai did it 7/10 times. using this i can make the ai build large scale ships if i give them back there planets after i tricked them into maxing out the planets.

this is now what i do in every GC game to get a more wealthy Ai if im willing to put a hour into setting up.

The rebellion took kaut! BUILD THE DEATH STAR!!! THEY MUST PAAYYYY!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users