• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sev40

Sev40

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:24 PM

Seeing as people are having trouble with beating the Covenant, I thought I'd write a few that help me a bit.

• Use prowlers to bring the enemy's mining factilities and stations out of fog-of-war, then from across the map, use any ship with the 'MAC' ability to snipe it from afar (and any defensive stations nearby).
  • Build prowlers, lots and lots of prowlers
  • Start building a large force ASAP. I build mainly frigates, led by a larger cruiser. If the covenant's ships start getting too close to your starbase, you can just send a prowler down near their base and deploy the battlegroup. Depending on how many ships you dedicate, and how much time you have to severly damage/destroy their starbase, determins whenever its a destraction or a rout for the covenant.
  • Don't engage the covenant head-on, unless your forces outnumber the covenants. Rather, take them out from behind.
  • Build defensive satilites (Archers, Point-defence and SMACs) around your mining factilities to better protect them.
  • Use the prowler's mine ability to set up minefields to take out the waves of fighters
  • In the early-game, be on guard for Covenant Picket attacks
  • When engaging the covenant ships, always take out their PT's first.
  • Building at least 2 SMAC platforms behind your base always helps

• DGaius and Battle8111 like this

#2 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 07 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

Well, truth be told, in the public release beating the Covenant as UNSC is quite easy. You just have to put those Anchor stations up everywhere and you get an incredible economical boost. Not to mention they can be upgraded with construction bays.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#3 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

SternuS, this the Covenant at War section. We don't have Anchor Stations...

• DGaius, Rocket1615, Crisiss and 1 other like this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#4 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:40 AM

Seeing as people are having trouble with beating the Covenant, I thought I'd write a few that help me a bit.

• Use prowlers to bring the enemy's mining factilities and stations out of fog-of-war, then from across the map, use any ship with the 'MAC' ability to snipe it from afar (and any defensive stations nearby).
  • Build prowlers, lots and lots of prowlers
  • Start building a large force ASAP. I build mainly frigates, led by a larger cruiser. If the covenant's ships start getting too close to your starbase, you can just send a prowler down near their base and deploy the battlegroup. Depending on how many ships you dedicate, and how much time you have to severly damage/destroy their starbase, determins whenever its a destraction or a rout for the covenant.
  • Don't engage the covenant head-on, unless your forces outnumber the covenants. Rather, take them out from behind.
  • Build defensive satilites (Archers, Point-defence and SMACs) around your mining factilities to better protect them.
  • Use the prowler's mine ability to set up minefields to take out the waves of fighters
  • In the early-game, be on guard for Covenant Picket attacks
  • When engaging the covenant ships, always take out their PT's first.
  • Building at least 2 SMAC platforms behind your base always helps

Excellent suggestions. I'd like to add that the 3:1 ratio we based our balancing on. This is a rule of thumb and it works pretty well considering some of the comments I've seen. I'd also like to add that there's a reason the Covies DO have hardpoints and the UNSC doesn't. Pick your target wisely (as Sev mentioned too). 

• Michael_2553 likes this

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#5 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

Prowlers are only good for as long as they aren't too spread out.

The biggest issue is that you shouldn't have to frigate spam to win. That's just dumb.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

The biggest issue is that you shouldn't have to frigate spam to win. That's just dumb.

We discussed this. Stop repeating yourself, so that I don't have to repeat myself. Thanks :P

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#7 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

I don't have to frigspam, it takes me longer, but I can win with diversity.
  • DGaius and Sherlock B221 like this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#8 Sherlock B221

Sherlock B221

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

It's more fun to use a variety of vessels to win, just like how real fleets have ships that serve specific purposes. Most of us are in this for the role playing value right?

#9 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

I'm in it for the 'splosions.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#10 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:54 AM

I'm in it for the 'splosions.

I'm in it for kicking ass.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users