• Create Account

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Poll: Updating Player Portraits

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Updating Playter Portraits (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Should we scrap the old player portraits or just add more to the list?

1. Scrap old player potraits and start over with whatever is chosen. (2 votes [2.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.53%

2. Keep the old and add more. (37 votes [46.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.84%

3. Try to update some and scrap the rest while adding new characters. (40 votes [50.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.63%

Should we include historical characters from the Halo universe or not?

1. Include historical characters from the Halo universe. (60 votes [75.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 75.95%

2. Do not include historical characters, keep player portraits generic. (19 votes [24.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

I've just contacted Kawassass00, the gentleman who did our new win/lose screens, about possibly helping us update/improve our player portraits. The big question I have is whether or not we should include known characters from the Halo universe. Our previous stance on this was that we kept the characters generic so that the player could become the admiral/fleetmaster rather than the player taking over a known character with defined behaviors and actions within the lore, which can impact player decisions (everyone loves to role-play).

However, as the team has grown this position isn't as monolithic anymore. This is the kind of issue that the community can have a say in and it not affect the health of the mod if you choose a less favorable outcome, so I thought it best to create a poll. You will need to create an account to vote, but account creation is fast and easy. Voting will help us make the decision, so it's very important you participate if you'd rather we not do a particular thing.

If you're not familiar with Kawassass00's work, take a look at his deviantArt page here: http://kawassass00.deviantart.com/

After you vote feel free to comment below with your own suggestions about characters to include or remove (including something more generic like "make more admirals that are not white males"), likes on those comments or agreeing comments will bolster the likelihood of us taking the post into consideration.

I think we have a lot of room for improvement here and I'd like you to help us figure out the best way to continue.

• SternuS, Battle8111 and Trooper like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#2 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:11 AM

The pickup is the best portrait. Also I always liked the ones we have, though if someone's willing to add more that'd be swell.

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#3 HTRK74JR

HTRK74JR

t(-_-)t

• Members
  • 585 posts
  • LocationUNSC Horizon

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

Obviously we need more portraits, maybe you guys should try and get a spartan or two

Spoiler

#4 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:29 AM

Obviously we need more portraits, maybe you guys should try and get a spartan or two

Only problem there is that they would not know the first thing about piloting a ship. None the less leading a entire detachment of the Navy. But who knows, up to the community as a whole to decide that.

#5 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

Why would a spartan be in charge of a fleet or large section of space? Come up with solid reasoning I can accept and we'll do it.

It's very important to remember this is a spaceship game.

#6 TwitchyFireStick

TwitchyFireStick

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

Maybe, and I say maybe, you don't need "solid" reasoning? Who wouldn't like to be the all-powerful spartan managing fleets and assault planets?

I'd like it, i'm not everyone though, but I do see the "issue" as more of a "fashion-statement" than anything else, in the end, your portrait doesn't matter in any way but how you come across to the other races or any other players..

You might ask the same question with the truck, why would a truck be capable of leading fleets and advanced machinery? Is it a super-truck? Is it Admiral Truck?

I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything, I'm just trying to get my spartan-portrait because I'd like the idea :3

Halo_Signature_II_by_Loupu.png

#7 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

Regardless of the poll outcome, the truck won't be surviving this update.

• Battle8111 likes this

#8 DrummDragon

DrummDragon

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Steam:DrummDragon

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

Why would a Spartan be in charge of a fleet? Well, they could be a Spartan who physically washed out during the augmentation process; you should include portraits of Admirals in wheelchairs for starters. This would be a good thing to do anyways, physically challenged people don't always get enough representation in games as it stands.

I think you should include historical portraits. This will allow people to get more into the role playing experience if they so choose. For instance, if I'm setting up a game type that re-creates the re-taking of Harvest, I might want to role play as Admiral Preston Cole, and a portrait would help that. Besides, who doesn't want a protocol named after them. 

• Unleashed and TwitchyFireStick like this

Do you like video game based comedy starring Master Chief? Then check out my website and youtube channel below:

http://www.smartaleckcomedy.com

http://www.youtube.c...martaleckcomedy

#9 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

I think maybe adding admiral Parangosky or Admiral Osman would be a great idea as they are the heads of ONI and they would fit perfectly in the game .

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#10 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

Besides, who doesn't want a protocol named after them. 

I know someone who does want one named after him...

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#11 TwitchyFireStick

TwitchyFireStick

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

Regardless of the poll outcome, the truck won't be surviving this update.

But.. but.. Admiral Truck is going!?

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte, Unleashed and Mrbump like this

Halo_Signature_II_by_Loupu.png

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Id like to see some AI for the UNSC at least. The AI serina was in charge of a lot of things on the spirit of fire, including giving orders. Is it not impossible that an AI would be given, at the very least, a supporting position in commanding and coordinating a fleet?
  • MrChipps, Unleashed, Cole Protocol and 1 other like this

#13 Inferius707

Inferius707

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

The closest a Spartan got to command was Kurt Trevelyan wasn't it? He was a Lieutenant Commander when he died if I remember right. Commanding a fleet isn't the same as a training camp though. I could foresee a Spartan commanding ground bases but never really a fleet. I do like the idea of Spartan "washouts" being included. Especially Osman.

#14 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

No historic figures. There was like two at any given moment that knew how to command a ship (Jacob, Miranda) and only Lord Hood was in a position to command a fleet. Fans are going to beg for Spartans and everything else but it doesn't make sense logically to put these figures in the game.

Besides the only ones I could remotely think of would be Cole, Hood, Parangosky and Osman, which would fill a roster, but none of them were in their status at the same time as the mod except Parangosky and maybe Hood.

• Unleashed and Crisiss like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

I was thinking an Admiral in a office on a SMAC station overlooking Earth or Reach with other SMACS and UNSC ships seeabe throught the window behind the admiral. Also maybe make it female admiral since you rarely see women in game in high ranks like a fleet admiral or general.

• TwitchyFireStick likes this
When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#16 Scorpii

Scorpii

Code Monkey #777

• Mod Staff
  • 359 posts
  • Steam:acbrother1

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:01 PM

Truck is love. Truck is life

Aside from the joking, I think some racial diversity would be beneficial other than the generic white man or woman.

Also I wouldn't like adding popular historical characters from the games into the portraits. Maybe some less known characters

• Metanator and TwitchyFireStick like this
SPAM ALL THE CHARONS AND HAIL THE MOD STAFF

"Let's Get It On" -The Flood whispering to me

Posted Image

#17 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

Fans are going to beg for Spartans and everything else but it doesn't make sense logically to put these figures in the game.

I really do value your opinion as a fellow mod dev who has to deal with stuff like this. We spend a lot of time telling the fans no. You know how we are about our vision for the mod, but this is one area I don't think really breaks immersion that much. We can have a collection of generic admirals, and if we choose to do so, a handful of popular characters from the series. Off all the things we could give the fans that isn't a serious part of the vision we're creating, this is it. If we ever gave an inch, it would be on player portraits. A few less serious portraits, I don't think, would do us a great disservice, but I'm always willing to hear out any arguments to the counter.

• Defender0, Fleet Admiral agigabyte, Unleashed and 1 other like this

#18 theselfescaping

theselfescaping

Crewman Apprentice

• Mod Staff
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

The generic feel of the current portraits allows the player to imagine themselves more in the role, but I think the lack of recognition in the portraits can also be a disconnect. It's unfortunate that the game code presumably doesn't allow for animated portraits like StarCraft.

In any case, I think it would be nice if at least some of the portraits were updated, and newer portraits to have more gender and ethnic heterogeneity. I understand not wanting titular character player portraits for canonical reasons, but a lot of people do seem to want them, so it could make the overall experience more fun too.

Posted Image

CAMPAIGN MAPS

The Long Night (Sins of the Prophets 0.75.1)

Warday (Sins of the Prophets 0.75.1)

Warlords (Thrawn's Revenge II: Ascendancy)

New Frontiers (Star Trek: Sacrifice of Angels 2)

#19 ElOscar24

ElOscar24

Crewman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

Ackerson and Sav Fel would probably make good portrait additions. Or maybe some Flood pictures like a Gravemind.

#20 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:14 AM

I want to see a mix of famous Halo characters and generic ones. Some suggestions: Lord Hood, Ur Didact, Iso Didact and 2401 Penitent Tangent.

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users