26 replies to this topic

#1 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

***Yes I'm aware we can't just hand out copyrighted music, but hear me out***

What if there was a feature for SotP where if you had the Halo OST (I'm thinking the 3rd) and placed in the approiate file path, it would play ingame, and interactivly.

So I'm thinking we would need a seprate installer to specifically overwrite SotP's music, convert, and split (becasue some songs are joined in one file) the Halo OST. A batch process can easilly convert it (mp3 or aac), spliting is a little more tricky.

Thoughts? Even doable?
"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#2 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

***Yes I'm aware we can't just hand out copyrighted music, but hear me out***

What if there was a feature for SotP where if you had the Halo OST (I'm thinking the 3rd) and placed in the approiate file path, it would play ingame, and interactivly.

So I'm thinking we would need a seprate installer to specifically overwrite SotP's music, convert, and split (becasue some songs are joined in one file) the Halo OST. A batch process can easilly convert it (mp3 or aac), spliting is a little more tricky.

Thoughts? Even doable?

I suppose, if you figured out a way to do it easily, that could be possible. That's just speculation, though, as I'm not a lead dev so can't make the final say.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#3 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Thoughts? Even doable?

Of course it's do-able, just requires some patience and a willingness to learn the song naming conventions.
But I'd never publicly support it in any official form, just since our composer worked damn hard on those songs and that'd basically be a big "F U" to him if I was saying "hey, here's a download to replace all of his work".

yLM4TEk.png

#4 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

^^This. This is exactly what I was going to write when I read then name of the thread.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#5 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Of course it's do-able, just requires some patience and a willingness to learn the song naming conventions.
But I'd never publicly support it in any official form, just since our composer worked damn hard on those songs and that'd basically be a big "F U" to him if I was saying "hey, here's a download to replace all of his work".

Also true.
#define true false

Spoiler

#6 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Thoughts? Even doable?

We've already had people mod their copies of the beta and put Halo OST music into the mod themselves. I don't know if you'll be able to play multiplayer like that, but you can play with the traditional Halo music. In other words, do it yourself! We have more important and more complicated things to implement. We've found 22 new bugs in the short time that the beta was released based on testers' feedback. And we have four potential new feature requests that we're seeking to implement, the most obvious of which will be the Thermopylae-class supercarrier cost increase and the Infection nerf.

#7 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

To put Halo OST music in might be crossing the line. Microsoft has not, and i do not believe, intends to make a game like this one as Halo is a console game and they have semi refused to go PC with it to give people incentives to buy Xboxs to get the Halo experience. Therefore this game is not threatening their financial interests. If you were to start putting in Halo OST, that would be undercutting the market of Halo OST which is currently sold by microsoft/bungie. If you have problems with the music I would suggest you mute the music, play your own soundtrack in the background, and kindly keep it to yourself. Im sure the music director for the mod worked hard to bring us this soundtrack which is very good. Although I am saddened that Some of the tracks from the Dev Diaries off the moddb page are not listed, especially the ambient theme 1.
  • Defender0 likes this

bDNWw7L.png

#8 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

It would be legal for us to use the Halo 3 OST soundtrack in the mod, and as long as you don't distribute your modified version with Halo OST music, you probably wouldn't end up in trouble.

#9 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Yeah...I don't support this at all. A lot of hard work has been put into the music of this mod. Waseem is a professional composer who's giving up his free time to help us. I understand a lot of you kids don't appreciate this kind of stuff, but I can't support this.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#10 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

You can just play the OST music on wmp or itunes if its that bad

#11 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

All right jeez, you have crusify me putting it out out there lol what is hyperbole?. I didn't say SotP soundtrack was bad. Wanting to listen to something else doesn't equal shaming the composer.
"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

#12 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

All right jeez, you have crusify me putting it out out there. I didn't say SotP soundtrack was bad. Wanting to listen to something else doesn't equal shaming the composer.

lol this isnt even close to crusifixion on here

#13 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

Does the heathan want a demonstration of crucifixion?

#14 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

lol this isnt even close to crusifixion on here

This...

Yea we're not being harsh and we're not saying that bro... We're just saying IF we supported Halo OSTs in the mod we would be shaming the awesome composer here, which would be a foul on our part...
#define true false

Spoiler

#15 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Does the heathan want a demonstration of crucifixion?

*slap* No. Bad Golly.
#define true false

Spoiler

#16 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

ok, while were on the topic of in game music, is the fact that the original sins music being in the game going to be fixed? i get sad when it starts playing lol

#17 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I reported it. The SotP music is better.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#18 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

The SotP music is better.

agreed

#19 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

This...

Yea we're not being harsh and we're not saying that bro... We're just saying IF we supported Halo OSTs in the mod we would be shaming the awesome composer here, which would be a foul on our part...

I get that, and thankyou for the input, but that's not really how Uni or Defender made it sound.

#20 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Stop being so sensitive.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me