• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:41 AM

So with the dawn of a new awesome Holographic UI I was wondering if there are any plans to include some more "Holo UI Stuff" what I like to call them.

Like this old breaching effect or what Dawn of Victory did with there new planet icons and other UI stuff.

In my opinion it would pretty much add quite alot to the game in terms of "Immersion" as a fleetcommander.

any plans/though on this?

Spoiler

DOW UI

Spoiler

• Mrbump and Battle8111 like this

YmSsY2C.png

#2 KillaBC

KillaBC

KillaBC cannot into space

• Modding Personality
  • 215 posts
  • LocationWorksop, England

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:51 AM

It's a good idea though particles are notorious resource hogs, used effectively and efficiently is the way to go for them.  

STA3/ST:I Dev 

#3 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:09 AM

I like this idea but it sounds pretty resource intensive. Maybe a graphics option?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

Actually, from those images it doesn't seem like it could get along well with the design of SotP.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#5 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

I do miss the armor breach particle effects.

• David0425 and Crisiss like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#6 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Actually, from those images it doesn't seem like it could get along well with the design of SotP.

How is SotP designed?

It's a good idea though particles are notorious resource hogs, used effectively and efficiently is the way to go for them.  

Guess you could only add that effect to the capital ships since they are capital ships....?

I could Imagine that after a huge battle it would clutter the whole screen if every single ship is damaged and showing of some kind of hull breach.

• Battle8111 likes this

YmSsY2C.png

#7 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

The armor breach could be a Titan thing because well, I know that you can have 42 capital ships at the same time so for those people who just have a massive army, like me, it would be impossible to see what's happening. Plus if on the Titan, it would add a level of importance to your awesome ship and so you don't ignore it as it is quickly obliterated.

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

#8 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

The map screen is just a simple image replacer where instead of the planet icons they are what you see there. It wouldn't be particle intensive at all if you're still using the same amount of particles.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:33 PM

The map screen is just a simple image replacer where instead of the planet icons they are what you see there. It wouldn't be particle intensive at all if you're still using the same amount of particles.

2202ca75470304ff347209073b44cb2c.png

• sloosecannon likes this

#10 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:39 AM

How is SotP designed?

What I meant is that it would take out the focus on little details such as the shields' particle (it lightens up where it gets hit), and overall, big holographics writings are quite...flashy. Not Halo related.

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#11 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:54 AM

Well, you wouldn't have to make the Breaching effect that big, they could be smaller, it was just an example.

Every UI element can be changed to look more "Halo related" If you mean the DOV Planet UI elements. (Even though I like the additions of tempearatures and other misc graphs)

As example Instead of "speak to the enemy in the language of fire" there could be .... "speak to the enemy in the language of glassing".... not quite awesome new but I hope you get what I mean.

YmSsY2C.png

#12 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:09 AM

I think the ideas great as long as it can 'feel' halo. And of course that it doesn't clutter the screen with random crap. You could also have something along the lines of 'Shields Penetrated' for covies. Or even when a ship is captured by flood 'Flood Lifeforms Detected' as a warning that you are losing ships. But i would prefer amazing particles and graphics because im that kinda guy. The kind that likes his graphics up to the point of lag. When you lose a planet to flood 'Flood Gravemind Detected' or 'Flood Infection Detected'. That would be neat.

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

#13 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

10:11 - Bakelit: you know that would be quite awesome if it would be possible to have a red flashing thing pop up if the flood/pirate starts to attack
10:11 - Bluehalomango: maybe 'FLOOD GRAVEMIND ACTIVE' as they start spewing out in all directions xD

@Dev's is that possible?

YmSsY2C.png

#14 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:57 AM

What I meant is that it would take out the focus on little details such as the shields' particle (it lightens up where it gets hit), and overall, big holographics writings are quite...flashy. Not Halo related.

On the contrary, Halo Wars projections had flash graphs and such for map readouts and etc.:

Dome_o%27_Light.png

http://youtu.be/eVHHGhFMUR0?t=1m7s

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:47 AM

Who cares if it's canon, it's the fucking UI.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#16 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:10 AM

Well, you wouldn't have to make the Breaching effect that big, they could be smaller, it was just an example.

Every UI element can be changed to look more "Halo related" If you mean the DOV Planet UI elements. (Even though I like the additions of tempearatures and other misc graphs)

As example Instead of "speak to the enemy in the language of fire" there could be .... "speak to the enemy in the language of glassing".... not quite awesome new but I hope you get what I mean.

On the contrary, Halo Wars projections had flash graphs and such for map readouts and etc.:

-snip-

http://youtu.be/eVHHGhFMUR0?t=1m7s

Indeed it would be nice to have something like that in Halo Wars, furthermore I love tactical maps; but that pertained to a ground situation, and it is actually "tactical", useful, not a decoration, and is activated through a holodeck.

What I suggest is making a tactical/holographic map activating when you zoom out completely, replacing or complementing the current galaxy view, or by pushing a button on the UI. Or make them pop up at a certain distance from the ship, so that I can see the ship "clean" if I zoom in.

#17 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

Indeed it would be nice to have something like that in Halo Wars, furthermore I love tactical maps; but that pertained to a ground situation, and it is actually "tactical", useful, not a decoration, and is activated through a holodeck.

What I suggest is making a tactical/holographic map activating when you zoom out completely, replacing or complementing the current galaxy view, or by pushing a button on the UI. Or make them pop up at a certain distance from the ship, so that I can see the ship "clean" if I zoom in.

like this you mean?

Spoiler

• SternuS likes this

YmSsY2C.png

#18 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

The problem I have with this is if we implement the particle effect like "hull breach" then all that will leak into screenshots people take, even with UI disabled. There would be no way to turn them off short of editing the textures.

Before you ask how we get around that:

hardcoded.xex

But despite what people are saying this wouldn't be very resource intensive if we implemented it. Adding one static, camera facing, particle would not cause any more GPU load than an extra stream of smoke from a damaged ship.

• Unikraken and Whitehalomango like this
"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#19 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:14 AM

like this you mean?

Spoiler

Something of the sort.

The problem I have with this is if we implement the particle effect like "hull breach" then all that will leak into screenshots people take, even with UI disabled. There would be no way to turn them off short of editing the textures.

Yeah if this happens then it's a solid "no" for me.

• Crisiss likes this

#20 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

VD is right. The major reason there aren't many flashy particles for stuff is that they show up on screenshots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users