• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

a bunch of possible suggestions from the new guy...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 aruon

aruon

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:51 AM

so as the title points out, i've got a bunch of suggestions since i'm a massive halo nerd (srsly i could probably give the librarian a run for her money) AND i'm new to not only the SotP forums, but the entire base game as well. so keep in mind i don't have a damn clue about most previous topics about ideas and some stuff. so here goes:

could there be new factions after the forerunners? ala vanilla SotSE:Rs whole 2-pronged selection screen. for the UNSC there could be the United Rebel Front or more simply/universally, Insurrectionists, who would have access to all UNSC, older UNSC and some covenant technology (this is assuming the URF is the post-war and therefore, covenant species accepting version and not the pre-war variety) and would be more focused on sabotage, conversion/boarding, culture and overall offense than the UNSC. in other words, a general all around pain in the ass.

for the covenant there could be the covenant remnants AKA the Storm Faction which is much more focused on direct assault (more frigates and cruisers - less carriers), has some forerunner tech from requiem, and research geared towards weaponry, shields, planetary bombardment (and devoid of slipspace stabilizers!). which is to say- more in your face combat, less carriers and carrier squadrons, and less universal mobility for balance. or maybe just a "reformed covenant" faction utilising the same kind of gimmick the star trek armada mod uses for one faction that gives it the choice to decide what overall path it will take in culture and research. follow the arbiter and be more reserved, or Jul 'Mdama and be aggressive?

hell, even the forerunners could potentially have their own AI-led rebel faction! since their backstory is "a group of awakened forerunners dotdotdot" (right? i only briefly skimmed through the forum) there could be a rebelling AI faction. the halo: escalation "the next 72 hours" arc shows (slight spoiler alert) a sorta-kinda halo monitor (859 Static Carillon) make a deal with a certain angry forerunner, get completely guilty when seeing that whole situation unfold, and then help a certain color coded team of badasses kick ass on his former master. (plus lets face it, a faction inherently immune to the flood opens up some intresting possibilities...)

well that was a mouthful, but i'm not done yet (nows a good time to get coffee or popcorn)

ships:

for UNSC + any future derivatives:

Gorgon-class heavy destroyer (http://halo.wikia.co...heavy_destroyer http://halo.wikia.co...UNSC_destroyer)

the Gorgon could serve as a slower and cost inefficient but stronger defensively and offensively than the paris class frigate (it only has 1 MAC, and was the first to ever HAVE a MAC too!). the only real problem would be making a 3D model since there's not much to go on. however there may be panel in halo wars: Genesis where it is seen, and apparently it looks more primative than the Heart of Midlothian, AKA Halberd class. apparently Dr. Halsey references it in a book, probably fall of reach (oh just click the damn gorgon link already)

UNSC shield-generator ship (http://halo.wikia.co...Generator_Ship)

it's exactly what it sounds like. like a huragok, but it's a spaceship that project an AOE shield. it could also probably capture neutrals too if its description is anything to go by. perfect to take a bit of the edge off of UNSC ships sucking hard against their covie counterparts. but just a bit.

RCS-class armored cruiser (http://halo.wikia.co...armored_cruiser http://www.halopedia.org/RCS-class_armored_cruiser)

a much more defensive-minded counterpart to the CCS. it has less capital ship weapons but is more rugged with better armor and shields, better point defense, planetary bombardment, and has the ability to basically EMP a capital ship for a time. ...i'll take 1000 of 'em.

Covenant Supercruiser (http://halo.wikia.co...nt_supercruiser)

this is the bane of the Pillar of Autumn. and super MACs... and archer missiles... and Reach. ridiculously powerful shields (shrugged off a shiva like it was nothing), bisected a destroyer with it's ultra-long range plasma projector. and snipes orbital platforms as a hobby. replace the sniper that's already in SotP with this beast. who knows, maybe it will win its 1v1 with an Autumn class this time.

ORS-class heavy cruiser (http://www.halopedia...s_heavy_cruiser http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Reverence-class_cruiser)

this is the ship that will make the CCS battlecruiser old news. and it would be a perfect fit for the aformentioned covenant derivative factions. almost twice the size of CCS, forerunner tech enhancements, more weapons, and a sweet ass new design straight out of 2015 (but apparently destined to first be seen and used in a board game?). this chance is just too damn good to pass up! plus hey, get this beast ingame and you can call firsties on it. seriously, if the autumn class is the enhancement of the halcyon, this is the supercharged version of the CCS. (as you can see, i'm fangasming right now) plus it might technically be the reverence class from ghosts of onyx?

Agricultural Support Ships (http://halo.wikia.co...al_Support_Ship)

it may stretch things a bit, but the ASS's (lol) could just be a mobile repair ship or even a specialied support ship to increas the expansion rate of growing populations of newly annexed planets for the covenant.

Keyship. in addition to presumably being part of the forerunner faction could possibly overlap with the covenant by being a potential covie titan? it would make sense seeing as there is only one and nothing could beat it. even when the pre-covenant Sangheili fought against the san 'Shyuum against it, they had to use forerunner technology to just battle it to a draw.

and lastly, structures.

the Unyeilding Hierophant. could it be a counterpart to the haven starbase? it could be a more specialized starbase focusing on repair and being a giant target with insane shields and squadron capacity.

the glassing cannon. thanks to halo: escalation, the covenant have a potential defensive option for their planets! it's exactly what it sounds like, plus it did almost destroy the UNSC infinity (spoiler alert BTW... oh hell i don't care it's just that awesome).  it could be the covie answer to the super MAC, but cost more tac slots for balance.

yes... finally done! after 2 hours! wow i really did my homework this time.

I am a fan of halo. as such, i have a tendancy to aim fans at halos.

#2 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:59 AM

Now I'm sorry, I will complete my response when I'm not falling asleep but first I need to try and kindly address an issue before others get to you and consume your soul for your mistake.

Covenant Supercruiser (http://halo.wikia.co...nt_supercruiser)

this is the bane of the Pillar of Autumn. and super MACs... and archer missiles... and Reach. ridiculously powerful shields (shrugged off a shiva like it was nothing), bisected a destroyer with it's ultra-long range plasma projector. and snipes orbital platforms as a hobby. replace the sniper that's already in SotP with this beast. who knows, maybe it will win its 1v1 with an Autumn class this time.

This. The PLOT-DEVICE  as referred to by just about everybody will never be in this mod. NEVER. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER and EVER. Why, well I could put some nifty links and pics here showcasing all the discussions and topics and I might do that. But I'll quote a few IMPORTANT things first. 

As said before by the beloved Canadaman7 "it's a solid 29 kilometers of never-getting-in-this-goddamn-mod." 

Not only that but there is all this beautiful artwork devoted to this debate.

Spoiler

Here are some links if you want to find out why it's not in the game.

https://sinsofthepro...ro-cso-thread/ 

Now hopefully I got to you before anybody else and cleared this topic up. NEVER MENTION IT AGAIN as your very soul and life will be at the risk of, well, I'd rather not talk about the details.

• Delyruin likes this

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

#3 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:15 AM

Now I'm sorry, I will complete my response when I'm not falling asleep but first I need to try and kindly address an issue before others get to you and consume your soul for your mistake.

This. The PLOT-DEVICE  as referred to by just about everybody will never be in this mod. NEVER. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER and EVER. Why, well I could put some nifty links and pics here showcasing all the discussions and topics and I might do that. But I'll quote a few IMPORTANT things first. 

Might want to reread that Blue he said Super Cruiser not the plot device.

Anyways here is my response to the suggestions

1) Different factions: In game faction splits will be done via tech. Ex UNSC will split where you could down a ONI like tech tree or a HIGHCOM like tech tree iirc. The devs are doing this for all factions.

2) New ships: As far as I know the UNSC and Covenant factions have all the ships they will be getting for now. Also AFAIK the Super Cruiser is in and known as the Adjudicator class.

3) Structures: The starbase is staying as is with some changes iirc. The glassing cannon station will NOT be added. It was not a standard piece of equipment and the Covenant are meant to be a mobile offensive force not a defensive one.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this
When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#4 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

Not only he did not mention the Super Carrier-class, he also kindly posted a link to the Super Cruiser page to show what he was talking about. Friendly notice: do not read threads if you're falling asleep ;)

To respond to the thread:

Most of your suggestions regarding ships and sturctures are currently being implemented (or will be implemented ASAP) and tested already in the build mod. The Super Cruiser, aka Adjudicator-class, is already in the base version of the mod.

Forerunners will be implemented, but do not expect them in the near time.

the glassing cannon. thanks to halo: escalation, the covenant have a potential defensive option for their planets! it's exactly what it sounds like, plus it did almost destroy the UNSC infinity (spoiler alert BTW... oh hell i don't care it's just that awesome).  it could be the covie answer to the super MAC, but cost more tac slots for balance.

In my humble opinion, Escalation is a considerable pile of shit. It has destroyed half of the Halo canon, and made the other half so unbearable even to be acknowledged of that I'd rather burn all of the issues and scourge whoever wrote that horror. Seriously, it sucks hard.

The glassing cannon, afaik, is not going to be in the mod, reason being the Covenant have to rely much on micro-management of the fleet rather than building up defensive positions. However, things might change.

Thanks for your feedback, awaiting a mod answer to clarify better.

• cagywhiterino likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#5 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:54 PM

for the UNSC there could be the United Rebel Front...

for the covenant there could be the covenant remnants AKA the Storm Faction...

hell, even the forerunners could potentially have their own AI-led rebel faction!

We've bounced around the idea for factions within races and we're against it, for simplicity's sake.

Gorgon-class heavy destroyer

There's not really a place for any more direct combat UNSC ships. Between the the Paris, Halberd, and the Halcyon we don't have any more combat roles to fill. Support/Ability suggestions are welcome though.

UNSC shield-generator ship

This is an interesting ship. But since it's cut content and not lore don't hold your breath.

RCS-class armored cruiser

We're working on a model now, expect it in the near future.

Covenant Supercruiser

We have the Adjudicator-class which already fills that role as an EP spamming capital ship. It has a place holder model though so its look in game will change.

ORS-class heavy cruiser

We're unhappy with the design of the ORS-class, and we're not sure what role it will fill for the Covenant fleet.

Agricultural Support Ships

Maybe this could be what we base our trade ship design off of? We're aware of the ship, people have shown us this before.

Keyship

Mantles Approach is the CovenantForerunner titan. The Forerunners are so far off, we haven't begun to pick out the rest of it's fleet yet. What you see in Dev.exe is everything we got planned for them at the moment.

structures

We won't be adding more than 1 star-base per faction, again, for simplicity's sake. But I think you might like what we'll be doing with the Covenant home "world" in the future.

As for Glassing Cannons:

"Now there's another thing I want you to remember. I don't want to get any messages saying that "we are holding our position." We're not holding anything. Let the Hun do that. We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass. We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose!"

That's our philosophy for the Covenant play style.

Edited by VDNKh, 04 March 2015 - 02:19 PM.
Spellar & Gramming

• Unleashed likes this
"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#6 Sev

Sev

CAW Tester

• CAW Tester
  • 309 posts
  • Steam:Jazza!!!!!!!
  • LocationERROR: 001 To lazy to check

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:59 PM

Ok, I'll go over the stuff the others have missed.

1) Gorgon-class Destroyer. As much as it's cool, it's effectively obsolete by the time the mod takes place - I believe it begins from around the 2540. Also, it'd be the counterpart to the Paris Frigate, including having very similar weaponry. It has no use in the mod, and will be underused besides those who want to win with diversity.

2) Shield-generator ship. Not sure what your talking about. The link you posted doesn't work.

3) RCS Battlecruiser. To my knowledge, this has been debated on, but I believe it is a no. The team has expressed before that they don't want the covenant to composed of just CCS and CAS variations.

4) ORS Heavy Cruiser. Not too sure about this either. Someone else has to confirm this.

5) Agricultural Support Ships. I like it. The Covenant lack support ships, and with the Cradle being the Repair Station could add to a bit of asymmetrical warfare.

6) Keyship. Not going in the mod to my knowledge, because if you read Broken Circle I believe it had all it's weapons removed during the formation of the Covenant.

7) The space station. Not sure what's going on here. The devs released a picture of the replacement starbase based on the description of the Unyielding Hierophant, however then Microsoft revealed that the Hierophant was based on Darkstorm's concept for it. I'm assuming they're still designing the new starbase around the concept they made, but I'm not sure anymore.

Take this post with a grain of salt. I'm no dev so I will obviously get a few (or a lot) of things wrong.

EDIT: Nevermind, VD already answered it.

Edited by Sev, 02 March 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#7 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

Mantles Approach is the Covenant titan? What?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • Steam:sird31mos
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

They've really stepped up their game in recent years.

I am a naturally philosophical and industrious evil.

It's all or nothin' baby, it's never ever maybe

You think I might be crazy, but I gotta be ALL IN

Spoiler
Spoiler

#9 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

*snip*

VD, you may need an editor :P. Fixed the spellar and gramming in your post, along with that minor screwup...
  • David0425 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#10 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

Sloose the way you edited Vd's post makes it look like you are a teacher grading him

• Unleashed likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#11 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

Sloose the way you edited Vd's post makes it look like you are a teacher grading him

OK class, we are now in session. Let's start with spellar and gramming.

• Unleashed and Mrripley9 like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#12 Mrripley9

Mrripley9

Chief Petty Officer

• Authorized Playtester
  • 569 posts
  • Steam:The Rip-meister
  • LocationReach :P

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:22 AM

OK class, we are now in session. Let's start with spellar and gramming.

May I teach it? LOL

“Usually, the good Lord works in mysterious ways. But not today! This here is 66 tons of straight-up, H.E-spewing dee-vine intervention! If God is love, then you can call me 'Cupid'!”

76561198099678337.png

#13 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 06 March 2015 - 04:34 AM

May I teach it? LOL

img_2-555_smile_lol.png

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWaukegan, Ilinois, United Republic of North America

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:35 AM

May I teach it? LOL

The Warthog Racing Man the Third

Posted Image

Desolation comes upon the sky

Now I see fire

#15 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 04:25 AM

I was thinking, if the Mako Corvette is added to the Insurrectionist fleets, maybe make another class of ship that is a Mako with a MAC from another older UNSC Frigate cobbled together? Maybe you could also give the Insurrectionist ships a dirty/old texture?

Posted Image

Now I see fire

#16 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:08 AM

I was thinking, if the Mako Corvette is added to the Insurrectionist fleets, maybe make another class of ship that is a Mako with a MAC from another older UNSC Frigate cobbled together? Maybe you could also give the Insurrectionist ships a dirty/old texture?

Mako is already a innie ship with a MAC, and the texture artists that we do have are strained as is.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#17 WarthogRacingMan3

WarthogRacingMan3

Mr. Warthog Racing Man

• Authorized Playtester
  • 387 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

Mako is already a innie ship with a MAC, and the texture artists that we do have are strained as is.

Oh, okay. Maybe the Insurrectionist ships could be re-textured after the important stuff? 

Posted Image

Now I see fire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users