23 replies to this topic

#1 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

So I'm almost done with the book, still have a good 40 pages left that I'm saving for tonight. But I can already tell all ODST fans here that Halo: New Blood is a steaming pile of s**t: the writing per se is not too shabby presented as it is from the view of Buck. My problem lies with the fu**ing up of other charachters and the continued misstreatment of established lore......Stop reading now if you don't wanna se spoilers.

The rookie gets killed of almost immediatly

How? You wonder, well, shot in the head by his rebel hostage-taker right in front of Buck and Romeo.

How is a ODST vet from New Mombasa taken hostage by red-necks on a backwater world?
I'm still waiting for an explanation myself.

Why doesn't Romeo, an elite sniper, take out the rebel holding a gun to the rookies head?
A FORCE FIELD, that's right a friggin force field protects the podium in the local parlament, built before the war and abandoned when the covvies invaded, where the Rookie is held hostage.

The spartan IVs are permiated by traitors AGAIN(so lazy)

OH! and Mickey is one of the traitors and leads Buck into a trap, because a seasoned vet and personal friend who has bled for another friend tends to do that AFTER joining the spartans.

Sigh.....

Any thoughts from you guys?
Sweden can into gender!

#2 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Mickeys betrayal is a super obvious ONI sting op
Sweden can into gender!

#3 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:07 AM

Just finished the book, Mickey is a confirmed traitor
Sweden can into gender!

#4 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:42 AM

So I'm almost done with the book, still have a good 40 pages left that I'm saving for tonight. But I can already tell all ODST fans here that Halo: New Blood is a steaming pile of s**t: the writing per se is not too shabby presented as it is from the view of Buck. My problem lies with the fu**ing up of other charachters and the continued misstreatment of established lore......Stop reading now if you don't wanna se spoilers.

The rookie gets killed of almost immediatly

How? You wonder, well, shot in the head by his rebel hostage-taker right in front of Buck and Romeo.

How is a ODST vet from New Mombasa taken hostage by red-necks on a backwater world?
I'm still waiting for an explanation myself.

Why doesn't Romeo, an elite sniper, take out the rebel holding a gun to the rookies head?
A FORCE FIELD, that's right a friggin force field protects the podium in the local parlament, built before the war and abandoned when the covvies invaded, where the Rookie is held hostage.

The spartan IVs are permiated by traitors AGAIN(so lazy)

OH! and Mickey is one of the traitors and leads Buck into a trap, because a seasoned vet and personal friend who has bled for another friend tends to do that AFTER joining the spartans.

Sigh.....

Any thoughts from you guys?

TLDR: 343 is idiots and the writers of the post Halo 4 books and novels need to be lined and shot IMO.

Dear fucking god. Just dear god. I have no words.

Rookie a man who has seen some shit both on Earth and Jerihco VII get killed by some inbred asshole on some backwater planet? What the fuck. Who ever wrote this book has clearly not played or even read up on ODST

A forcefield? A fucking forcefield? How the hell did the UNSC have forcefield technology PRE WAR! Even then it probably wasn't strong so Im pretty fucking sure the 14.5mm round fired by the SR99 could penatrate and kill the rebel. I mean really its a even bigger round then the 12.7mm and this is the 2550s so the ballistics should be much better.

SIV lead into a trap? Doesn't surprise me. 343 seems to want to make spartans extremely shitty for some god awful reason. No more comment on that

Mickey is a traitor? Why the flying bigfoot humping fuck did he do it? Thats like fucking getting to the final level of Halo 3 and instead of 343 turning on you its Johnson. Aren't ODSTs trained to have a die hard loyalty to the UNSC? Did some rebel offer Mickey like a billion credits? Mickey was my favorite character too.

Overall: At this point 343 needs to scrap EVERY FUCKING BIT OF LORE after made after Halo 4 and fire any all writers who won't fucking read the lore first in my opinion. We have the steaming pile of horse shit known as Escalation and now we have this steaming pile of brute shit. Next thing you know we will have a story on Blue team where it turns out Kelly is a traitor and Fred and Linda have been dating for years while Chief gets taken hostage by a grunt and just for randoness its turns out Noble team has been alive since 2552 and have been doing Irish jigs at Covenant dance clubs around the galaxy.

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#5 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Mickey had some fucked up version of survivors guilt after the Rookie died and blamed Buck for his death.

The weird bit is that the writer references the odst comics and nails obscure lore but then completely drops the ball on the big pieces of lore. Smells of 343 post-editing.
Sweden can into gender!

#6 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:30 AM

Mickey had some fucked up version of survivors guilt after the Rookie died and blamed Buck for his death.

The weird bit is that the writer references the odst comics and nails obscure lore but then completely drops the ball on the big pieces of lore. Smells of 343 post-editing.

Whaaaaaaaat? I mean yeah thats a real thing but Mickey has to have seen some shit. Unless Rookie and Mickey were really buddy buddy I don't see how that  can cause Mickey to go traitor mode. I could see major depression happening and possible suicde but turning into a traitor? That doesn't make sense to me

PS some may not like this but I think it'd be neat to have a book that follows a marine who saw fucked up shit in the war trying to get by after the wars over while dealing with flash backs and shit

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#7 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:43 AM

Mickey was in a position to save the rookie but hesitated for a sec, then it all became Bucks fault for ordering in his squad to begin with......sigh.....it sounds even more stupid when I type it out.

To be fair I only payed 4 bucks for the book tho.....

A Imperial Guard type of book about regular UNSC marines would be neat
Sweden can into gender!

#8 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:57 AM

I still don't get how Rookie a man who went through hell on Jericho VII and then survived an entire night in a city crawling with Covies and activly engaging in combat with them quite a bit gets killed by some rebel. 

• MrChipps likes this

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#9 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

Mickey was in a position to save the rookie but hesitated for a sec, then it all became Bucks fault for ordering in his squad to begin with......sigh.....it sounds even more stupid when I type it out.

Yes, because a guy traumatized by a friend's death will totally go and join the very people who killed him.
*sigh*
  • MrChipps likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#10 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

Yes, because a guy traumatized by a friend's death will totally go and join the very people who killed him.*sigh*

Not to mention his parents were innies and he tried his hardest his whole career to not be like them.....
Sweden can into gender!

#11 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:14 AM

Not to mention his parents were innies and he tried his hardest his whole career to not be like them.....

Just wow. I serisouly wonder if 343 looks at a writers resume for like a second looks up and scream "Your hired!" before going back to doing something that will make Halo 5 be extremely easy to hate.

It really should be a requirement that if your writing something about already established characters you must research them 100% and then take a test on said character. You don't pass? Well your shit out of luck and need a new job.

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#12 MrChipps

MrChipps

• Contributor
  • 789 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

Well, like I said earlier I suspect 343 is to blame for the weird and contradictionary writing. It just feels like someone ripped the book apart in post-editing with "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if" -idiot ideas. Why else would the book nail detailed lore, like the fact that Butch retires happily with Gretchen, and then fail so miserably with big obvius things like a dead rookie or a "force field"?
Sweden can into gender!

#13 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:58 AM

The whole novel is a joke. Breaching 101, don't go in alone. These are elite troopers, they should know better than to clear a room solo, but it was done for the sake of plot and they decided yet again to kill of an important character, a playable character.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:15 AM

The whole novel is a joke. Breaching 101, don't go in alone. These are elite troopers, they should know better than to clear a room solo, but it was done for the sake of plot and they decided yet again to kill of an important character, a playable character.

The funny thing is I'm sure people somewhere on the internet are arguing that it doesn't matter Rookie died since 6 was killed in Reach. Thing is although its highly likely 6 is six feet under there is a small chance he/she are still alive. Rookie is clearly shown getting killed. Personally the death of Rooke doesn't bother me its how he died. He kicked ass in the H-C war and then he dies because apparently all his training was disregarded at the end of the war. I'd much rather have him die in a game instead of a novel a lot of Halo fans likely don't know of.

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark but heres how the next Halo novel goes

- Someone important gets killed

- SIVs are shown as bumbling idiots on steriods

- Blah blah bullshit blah blah tech the UNSC shouldn't have blah blah something blah blah

- We all once again want the writer and 343 lined and shot.(No? Just me? Ok.)

- Something in the established lore will be completely disregarded for some thing new.

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#15 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:23 AM

Well, that's it. I'm never buying extended universe from 343 ever.
  • cagywhiterino likes this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#16 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:46 AM

Wow.

This is it.

Not going to buy Halo 5. Anything ever. This killed it for me.

I'm done. Never wanted to say it, always blamed who said that. but Halo died with Halo 4. Fuck 343i.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#17 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:05 AM

I'm still getting H5 because it was fun, but nothing made after wars (Except for the K5 Trilogy) is canon to me anymore.

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#18 Mrripley9

Mrripley9

Chief Petty Officer

• Authorized Playtester
  • 569 posts
  • Steam:The Rip-meister
  • LocationReach :P

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:36 AM

SWEET MOTHER TERESA ON THE HOOD OF A MERCEDES BENZ. 343i is a double-decker pig fart. I'm done with them. They're idiots. Officially idiots. 

“Usually, the good Lord works in mysterious ways. But not today! This here is 66 tons of straight-up, H.E-spewing dee-vine intervention! If God is love, then you can call me 'Cupid'!”

76561198099678337.png

#19 Mrripley9

Mrripley9

Chief Petty Officer

• Authorized Playtester
  • 569 posts
  • Steam:The Rip-meister
  • LocationReach :P

Posted 12 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Overall: At this point 343 needs to scrap EVERY FUCKING BIT OF LORE after made after Halo 4 and fire any all writers who won't fucking read the lore first in my opinion. We have the steaming pile of horse shit known as Escalation and now we have this steaming pile of brute shit. Next thing you know we will have a story on Blue team where it turns out Kelly is a traitor and Fred and Linda have been dating for years while Chief gets taken hostage by a grunt and just for randoness its turns out Noble team has been alive since 2552 and have been doing Irish jigs at Covenant dance clubs around the galaxy.

They'll make that into a game. Just watch.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte and Sev like this

“Usually, the good Lord works in mysterious ways. But not today! This here is 66 tons of straight-up, H.E-spewing dee-vine intervention! If God is love, then you can call me 'Cupid'!”

76561198099678337.png

#20 cagywhiterino

cagywhiterino

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:56 PM

It's stuff like this that cause me to cry myself to sleep...

We regret being alien bastards! We regret coming to earth! But we most definitely regret that the corps just blew up our raggedy ass fleet! - Sargent Avery J Johnson  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users