• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

As 343 said in a recent post, Covenant vessels are classified in a 3 letter code that denotes there particular use in the fleet, or showing that they have a modification of some kind. Gleaming off what 343 said here, I took a crack at figuring out what the rest of the many letters might mean, such as C and A. Below are my predictions on what they might mean based off the roles of ships possessing the letter and what they have in common. Naming of a certain letter is by no means ideal, as of my admittedly limited knowledge on "religious" vocabulary terms. O, R, and S are terms and classifications already coined by 343, mind you.

A (Anointed) - Allowed to have a degree of Autonomy in the fleet, being able to pursue objectives, or command ships without prior approval by Ship/Fleetmasters. Looking at ships that have this classification, (CAS, DAV, CAR), and analyzing how the Covenant use them, this is an understandable classification. As CAS Carriers, unsurprising given their size, are often seen acting alone if they are not commanding a larger force. This is reflected in how DAV Corvettes are scouts, thus needing some Autonomy to function in the event of communications being unavailable.
C (Conversion) - Denotes that the Vessel in question is a mainstay of the Covenant armada, and is used extensively in Naval operations. Consider what ships possess this classification (CCS, CAS, CRS, CPV, CAR, RCS, Plot Device *cringe*) and analyze their role in the fleet. Most, if not all of these ships are seen as staples of the Covenant navy, and are a common sight in Covenant fleets. To my knowing, any ship that has not shown ‘C’ in its classification are, coincidentally, not used by the Covenant as a staple.
D (Divine) - Designates that the vessel in question is a dedicated support craft. The three known ships that use the code ‘D’ (DDS, DAV, SDV) have the code for a different reason. The DDS provides fighters and troops in massive droves, making it a true supportive carrier. The other, the DAV, is a reconnaissance craft that supports fleet operations by giving intelligence. The SDV, as seen in Halo reach, is really only used to support larger vessels or ground operations.
O (Ordained) - Forerunner mod of some sort
P (Pious) - Vessels with the Pious designation share a similar role to destroyers when compared to UNSC classifications (Functions as a destroyer, essentially). Had a difficult time making this one, as only the CPV nad RPV use the classification. If someone has any better ideas i'm more than open.
R (Reverence) - Excavation and Recon
S (Salvation) - Dedicated Warship
V (Vigilance) - Shows that ships with this classification are sent ahead of the main force as scouting ships or for other uses. Looking at the role of the ships with V in the name (CPV, RPV, DAV, SDV), these ships are often sent in advance of the main armada, especially the DAV and SDV. 

Thoughts?

• SternuS, Lord Stark, MasterBuilderFaber and 1 other like this

#2 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:02 PM

You learn something new everyday. One thing to note, you forgot a few ships. Namely, SDV, RPV, RCS and ORS. Not sure if there was a reason behind that or not but hey, I'd let you know.

Another thing I noticed, the only ships classed 'Pious' are there two destroyer classes from what we know, CPV and RPV, so it might relate to that.

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

#3 Insert IGN

Insert IGN

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Steam:<Insert IGN Here>
  • LocationHarvard & Trustee

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:06 AM

What about ships with same letters? Example: CCS, any theories on why 2 C's? Would love to hear em.

• ANNISTY likes this
"Economy, Unemployment, Education. These are all words."
Spoiler

#4 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:20 AM

CCS is the only example but one thing to note is that C is for ships which are common and the CCS is THE most common ship, so it just could be showing that it is a VERY common ship, fielded in the hundreds.

• Cole Protocol likes this

Remember Off-Topic!

#5 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 04:24 AM

You learn something new everyday. One thing to note, you forgot a few ships. Namely, SDV, RPV, RCS and ORS. Not sure if there was a reason behind that or not but hey, I'd let you know.

Another thing I noticed, the only ships classed 'Pious' are there two destroyer classes from what we know, CPV and RPV, so it might relate to that.

Whoops. K fixed the appropriate letters. Namely V and P. Thanks lol

CCS is the only example but one thing to note is that C is for ships which are common and the CCS is THE most common ship, so it just could be showing that it is a VERY common ship, fielded in the hundreds.

Essentially this, yes, so much this. CCS Cruisers are deployed in alarming volumes, the only comparable vessel being the CRS in terms of mass deployment.

EDIT: To elaborate further than the CCS on double letters, the only other ship to use double lettering is the DDS carrier. This, in my mind, cements that the DDS is a supportive carrier, not a flying hulk of death and doom you see on the CAS. For that reason, as detailed in books such as fall of Reach, it was used in slightly higher numbers if it was used when compared to the CAS, simply to actually make the flagships of the fleet actually comparable to a CAS or other large command vessel. As 3 of the craft lead 1 task force on Reach. Take 3 Assault carriers, and you just made that 1 fleet nearly double in strength. My point? My point really is that just because a ship does not have a C classification does not in turn mean it cannot be used in higher numbers, rather, it still relies on the net strength of the ship to determine this.

#6 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

To be honest, the double letters for CCS and DDS is a quite dull explanation.

E.g., U.S.S. Constitution truly is american, although it's United States Ships and not United States STATES!

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#7 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

To be honest, the double letters for CCS and DDS is a quite dull explanation.

E.g., U.S.S. Constitution truly is american, although it's United States Ships and not United States STATES!

That's because U.S.S. denotes the ownership of the vessel, not it's role type. Which, with a double term clarifies that it is more dedicated to it's own role than if it had but one letter. Still, I do see your point. 

#8 MasterBuilderFaber

MasterBuilderFaber

Crewman

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Steam:MasterBuilderFaber
  • LocationMaethrillian, Forerunner Ecumene

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Impressive work Cole, I always assumed these were English abbreviations for Covenant language abbreviations as you never hear one of the Covenant refer to them by CAS or CCS etc. (At least not what I recall). However it would seem I have learnt something very enlightening today. Great job yet again.

"I am the Warden Eternal! Keeper of the Domain and her secrets. The Master Chief was called. But you, your passage has been denied"
Spoiler

#9 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:04 AM

I just throw this into the room then Plot Salvation Device.

YmSsY2C.png

#10 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

Impressive work Cole, I always assumed these were English abbreviations for Covenant language abbreviations as you never hear one of the Covenant refer to them by CAS or CCS etc. (At least not what I recall). However it would seem I have learnt something very enlightening today. Great job yet again.

Thanks, researching it was an interesting ordeal.

Well, really, in my mind that was how it worked at first. Bungie kept it vague but implied that the three letters were human in origin. It was still vague enough however that 343 retconned it to make sense in Covenant systems as well.

I just throw this into the room then Conversion Salvation Ordained.

For that I point you to the cannon example, Ordained Reverence Salvation. Does that make any more sense either? No.

#11 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

For that I point you to the cannon example, Ordained Reverence Salvation. Does that make any more sense either? No.

I just wanted to say  P L O T D E V I C E
  • Cole Protocol and Whitehalomango like this

YmSsY2C.png

#12 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

Ohh. Whoops then :P
  • 베이클라이트 and Fleet Admiral agigabyte like this

#13 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

I just throw this into the room then Plot Salvation Device.

Burn him at the stake!
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#14 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Erm hurgh... Wazzitden? Someone said Plot Device?
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#15 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

Erm hurgh... Wazzitden? Someone said Plot Device?

I hate you gais!

YmSsY2C.png

#16 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

I hate you gais!

We love you too
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#17 Sev

Sev

CAW Tester

• CAW Tester
  • 309 posts
  • Steam:Jazza!!!!!!!
  • LocationERROR: 001 To lazy to check

Posted 20 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

Hey Cole, you made a slight mistake in your post. In the news post you linked to, it says 'O' means a ship has a forerunner upgrade, but in the case of the ORS it was a weapon mod.

#18 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

Well we don't currently know of any 'O' ships besides the ORS and the Plot Salvation Device so we can kind of assume that because it's a weapons mod on the ORS, there is no reason it can't be the same for that other ship.

Remember Off-Topic!

#19 Sev

Sev

CAW Tester

• CAW Tester
  • 309 posts
  • Steam:Jazza!!!!!!!
  • LocationERROR: 001 To lazy to check

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

There's no reason why it can't be something else, considering the size of the covenant's territory during the war. I doubt the covenant would only find weapon kits during their expansion.

But I guess the prophets would've confiscated such systems for use on their flagships.

#20 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

Hey Cole, you made a slight mistake in your post. In the news post you linked to, it says 'O' means a ship has a forerunner upgrade, but in the case of the ORS it was a weapon mod.

Whoops, noted and fixed.

There's no reason why it can't be something else, considering the size of the covenant's territory during the war. I doubt the covenant would only find weapon kits during their expansion.

But I guess the prophets would've confiscated such systems for use on their flagships.

QFT, while the Covenant did probably find a large amount of artifacts, they more than likely were, like you said, of a different variety than just weapons cores.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users