#1 MasterBuilderFaber

MasterBuilderFaber

Crewman

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Steam:MasterBuilderFaber
  • LocationMaethrillian, Forerunner Ecumene

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:17 AM

There is a Rebellion mod known as FOC Alliance that utilises the vanilla dark fleet ability to call in heroes upon researching different tiers of research. This would be a great system to consider for a future implementation into the Mod. For example of heroes to add:

• UNSC Everest [Admiral Preston Cole]
  • UNSC Spirit of Fire [Captain James Cutter]
  • UNSC Pillar of Autumn [Captain Jacob Keyes]
  • Shadow of Intent [Rtas 'Vadumee]
  • Solemn Penance [Prophet of Regret]
  • Incorruptible [Voro Nar' Mantakree]

I know we can just have ships, rename them and use them as flagships, but it would be great to see buffed up hero ships with unique abilities that are relevant to the vessel's history.

• Riftis likes this
"I am the Warden Eternal! Keeper of the Domain and her secrets. The Master Chief was called. But you, your passage has been denied"
Spoiler

#2 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:49 AM

If I remeber correctly hero units was discussed some while ago and the idea was discarded at the time for various reasons, one being the extra work needed to balance heros, another being that hero units would detract from SOTPs focus on strategy and tactics.

Edited by MrChippings, 11 July 2015 - 03:51 AM.

Sweden can into gender!

#3 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

I mean... Prowler spam is a strategy. I suppose.

Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#4 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

I think the main issue with this is other than a few tactical abilities (the Everest had extra armor but that's about it) there's nothing really different about them. We aren't giving the Spirit of Fire more health than an average Phoemix refut, cause that's all it is.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 MasterBuilderFaber

MasterBuilderFaber

Crewman

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

Well actually the Spirit of Fire can have the Spartan Hijack ability due to it having Fireteam Omega.

"I am the Warden Eternal! Keeper of the Domain and her secrets. The Master Chief was called. But you, your passage has been denied"
Spoiler

#6 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hero's are happening in a unconventional sense via randpm events. They won't be much different from there normal counterparts.
  • Riftis likes this

#7 MasterBuilderFaber

MasterBuilderFaber

Crewman

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:06 PM

Random events? I am intrigued. Elaborate?

Spoiler

#8 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Random events? I am intrigued. Elaborate?

At random intervals, the player will receive a hero ship if random events are enabled. Such as our dear SoF for UNSC, and Shadow of Intent for the Covenant (and more). Currently we are focusing on other areas, but eventually we plan to put them in.

• Lord Stark, Crisiss and MasterBuilderFaber like this

#9 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

Well actually the Spirit of Fire can have the Spartan Hijack ability due to it having Fireteam Omega.

I said tactical abilities m80. That would be a tactical ability. But yeah refer to Cole's comment. No queueable heroes.
  • Cole Protocol likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#10 MasterBuilderFaber

MasterBuilderFaber

Crewman

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

Queueable heroes? I was not proposing that whatsoever. They would not be available through factories but a beacon at the player's home world instead. These heroes would be completely gone after their destruction. They are a one time thing and cannot be rebuilt. Nevertheless I prefer Cole's idea and I agree with it unanimously.

Spoiler

#11 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • Steam:sird31mos
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Nevertheless I prefer Cole's idea and I agree with it unanimously.

Good to hear all one of you agrees on something :P
  • MrChipps, 베이클라이트, Cole Protocol and 1 other like this

I am a naturally philosophical and industrious evil.

It's all or nothin' baby, it's never ever maybe

You think I might be crazy, but I gotta be ALL IN

Spoiler
Spoiler

#12 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

Queueable heroes? I was not proposing that whatsoever. They would not be available through factories but a beacon at the player's home world instead. These heroes would be completely gone after their destruction. They are a one time thing and cannot be rebuilt. Nevertheless I prefer Cole's idea and I agree with it unanimously.

Queueable heroes and spawnable heroes are the same things in my mind. Poor choice of words, maybe.

But yeah that has been the plan for a while but the rebuild took precedent over everything else until recently.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#13 cagywhiterino

cagywhiterino

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

Would there be any possible way that for the SOF you could like have the bombardment special effect be like this scene?
Spoiler
where those FOB things come off? Just tossing ideas out there. I don't know much about modding or the restrictions so I won't be hurt if it can't be done. That's all :)

We regret being alien bastards! We regret coming to earth! But we most definitely regret that the corps just blew up our raggedy ass fleet! - Sargent Avery J Johnson  

#14 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:17 PM

Would there be any possible way that for the SOF you could like have the bombardment special effect be like this scene? where those FOB things come off? Just tossing ideas out there. I don't know much about modding or the restrictions so I won't be hurt if it can't be done. That's all :)

This is more than possible, and actually something planned for all phoenixes. it wont be as detailed with the ships actually dropping from the Spirit, but we can have a pod or two flying alongside pelicans during invasion.

• Riftis likes this

#15 cagywhiterino

cagywhiterino

Petty Officer Third Class

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 July 2015 - 10:18 PM

This is more than possible, and actually something planned for all phoenixes. it wont be as detailed with the ships actually dropping from the Spirit, but we can have a pod or two flying alongside pelicans during invasion.

awe man that is going to look really cool in game! You guys are the best! I love you <3

We regret being alien bastards! We regret coming to earth! But we most definitely regret that the corps just blew up our raggedy ass fleet! - Sargent Avery J Johnson  

#16 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:11 AM

*Walks in*

Hey guys what's-

"Hero Units"

*The spectre of MoI appears in his mind*

*Walks out*

No seriously, it'd be nice. Just don't make another MoI. Please.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#17 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

*Walks in*
Hey guys what's-
"Hero Units"
*The spectre of FUD appears in his mind*
*Walks out*

No seriously, it'd be nice. Just don't make another FUD. Please.

We had a Forward Unto Dawn? I don't remember that.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#18 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

We had a Forward Unto Dawn? I don't remember that.

Good, good. No one has to remember it.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#19 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

Good, good. No one has to remember it.

explain pl0x

Spoiler

Spoiler

#20 Whitehalomango

Whitehalomango

That One White Guy

• White Name
  • 1,141 posts
  • Steam:bluehalomango
  • LocationSydney HighCom Facility Bravo-6

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

Personally, I like the idea of having heroes. It adds another level of gameplay and tactics, trying to utilise them to their potential but not get them killed. Unless they are making a valiant sacrifice, in which case make it worth it! I doubt this could work but it would be interesting if either certain heroes or all could, sort of, 'sacrifice' themselves. Whether it be detonating a slipspace drive, overloading a reactor or launching a crap ton of nukes every which way but all ending in your ships death. This would probably work better for UNSC. I also think heroes randomly jumping in as random events would be awesome. I can imagine a climatic and important battle, you're about to lose then in comes a hero, say Pillar of Autumn, and saves your sorry arse! But this could work either way, what if Shadow of Intent just popped out of nowhere and went on a killing spree!

Speaking of Heroes, is that blasted Mother of Invention still in? Thats basically a hero but unobtainable unless captured (not sure about this).

I learn from the past, enjoy the present and look forward to the future.

Remember Off-Topic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users