DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:41 AM

DO IT.

just put it into spoiler tags.

Good suggestion. This is part of the final battle, since the entire strife takes up a whole episode. 

Spoiler

I have also been rereading Gundam: The Origin here and there. I seriously can't wait for the final chapter and this months OVA (carrying the same title). I very much like the art/character design Yoshikazu Yasuhiko does. I find it looks a lot more mature than the character designs we have these days. For example, check out his characters for Gundam compared to those of popular mech series like Code Geass and/or Gundam Seed. To illustrate my point with an anecdote, my mom occasionally walks in on me watching anime. The only times I get a response is when I am watching 80's Mech OVA's (like Venus Wars, done by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko) and it's always a positive response. Take that anime stereotypes... :P

• 베이클라이트 likes this

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#22 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:54 AM

Gundam

I always loved that style. 

But I kinda wanna see another Gundam in the art style of Stardust memory thats my most favorite anime art style by so far.

• DGaius likes this

YmSsY2C.png

#23 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

Spoiler for Gundam 8th ms team

Best part of that episode I wanted to share. So yeah.

Spoiler

So I finally came aorund wathcing Gundam Origins episode 1. Love it so far. The Humor. The Animations. Everything. EVERYTHING.

Spoiler for spoilers

Spoiler

So I just stumbled upon this.

Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS

Posted Image

Watched the first episode and I have to say. Pretty interesting plot so far.
For a change Mars got colonized and wants to be independent instead of the usual space colonies stuff.
On mars it seems that there are different "mechanized companies" that fight each other for political gains and loot.
Main plot seems to be about a Noble Girl flying to Earth trying to claim mars to be independant or so.

Now to the mech designs. Non Gundams look pretty interesting and fuck THE GUNDAM they have is AWESOME.
anyhow can't wait to see more of this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by DGaius, 11 October 2015 - 09:24 AM.

• DGaius likes this

YmSsY2C.png

#24 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

So I finally came aorund wathcing Gundam Origins episode 1. Love it so far. The Humor. The Animations. Everything. EVERYTHING.

Spoiler for spoilers

--------------------------------------
So I just stumbled upon this.

Mobile Suit Gundam IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS
Watched the first episode and I have to say. Pretty interesting plot so far.
For a change Mars got colonized and wants to be independent instead of the usual space colonies stuff.
On mars it seems that there are different "mechanized companies" that fight each other for political gains and loot.
Main plot seems to be about a Noble Girl flying to Earth trying to claim mars to be independant or so.

Now to the mech designs. Non Gundams look pretty interesting and fuck THE GUNDAM they have is AWESOME.
anyhow can't wait to see more of this.

In regards to The Origin

Certainly a nice addition to what we have. The first OVA was very close to the manga, if not identical (which is a big deal to me, since the manga was crafted extremely well). They nailed the auditions for the VA's and I highly enjoyed the soundtrack (I am playing the 'By your side' bartrack daily). The only gripe I (and most likely others) have with the use of the CG is the chaotic and fast movement. There was nothing 'gracefull'  about it, despite it being an OVA. The suits moved way beyond what anything at that point in UC could do. Though I understand that from a creative point of view, they tried to steer away from the more earthish dogfight maneuvers. Since it is space afterall.  Despite that minor issue, I am looking forward to part II this month :)

In regards to Iron Blooded Orphans

I am cautiously optimistic about this. The writer is 'notorious' for melo-drama (Mari Okada). Last time we had that (Seed/Seed Destiny) it became an utter trainwreck IMO. Speaking of trainwrecks, I was also cautiously optimistic about Gundam AGE after the first episode. That quickly changed too and we both know how AGE ended up, don't we Bakelit?. Of course the design rubs me the wrong way, that's a thing you always have to get used to. The YG-111 G-Self grew on me too, though I still don't understand why the majority of G-Reco units had to have bright colors (it's a thing I dislike in a lot of recent anime).

Also mandatory manga alert: Mars was a Zeon colony in some sidestory and they tried to revive Zeon. So the premise isn't entirely new.

What I do like thusfar is that the Noble Girl, naieve as she is, got her ass handed to her in the very first episode. I also like how she is the only one being naive. I like the name Gjallerhorn. Reminds me of 'The Mighty Thor'  written by Walter Simmonson, great times. The characters are actually pretty descent. You'd imagine a fat guy named Biscuit to be a wimp being bullied all the time, but thusfar he seems to have the chops to be more like Musashi (Getter Robo). 

Hence, cautiously optimistic. I am suspecting that (similarly to Gundam 00) this series would be better off without the Gundam-label attached to it. Guess you need the milk the cow untill it dies. Episode 2 airs today, so we'll see how promising this series will really be (I am a great fan of the 3 episodes rule).

• 베이클라이트 likes this

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#25 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:09 AM

In regards to The Origin

Certainly a nice addition to what we have. The first OVA was very close to the manga, if not identical (which is a big deal to me, since the manga was crafted extremely well). They nailed the auditions for the VA's and I highly enjoyed the soundtrack (I am playing the 'By your side' bartrack daily). The only gripe I (and most likely others) have with the use of the CG is the chaotic and fast movement. There was nothing 'gracefull'  about it, despite it being an OVA. The suits moved way beyond what anything at that point in UC could do. Though I understand that from a creative point of view, they tried to steer away from the more earthish dogfight maneuvers. Since it is space afterall.  Despite that minor issue, I am looking forward to part II this month :)

Well depends on what time that space fight was. Wasn't it even the legendary battle one where Char became the Red Comet? It would make sense by the time then that the suits move quick and agile specially the Red Comet.

In regards to Iron Blooded Orphans

I am cautiously optimistic about this. The writer is 'notorious' for melo-drama (Mari Okada). Last time we had that (Seed/Seed Destiny) it became an utter trainwreck IMO. Speaking of trainwrecks, I was also cautiously optimistic about Gundam AGE after the first episode. That quickly changed too and we both know how AGE ended up, don't we Bakelit?. Of course the design rubs me the wrong way, that's a thing you always have to get used to. The YG-111 G-Self grew on me too, though I still don't understand why the majority of G-Reco units had to have bright colors (it's a thing I dislike in a lot of recent anime).

Bright = Attention. Was in Aldnoah Zero too that the main charachter had to have that one special orange mech that overpowerd everything even though it was just a training unit.

Too the story well Episode 2 was good loved the FIght at the start but storywise it did not really advance much.

Also mandatory manga alert: Mars was a Zeon colony in some sidestory and they tried to revive Zeon. So the premise isn't entirely new.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I don't read the mangas so I could not know that.

What I do like thusfar is that the Noble Girl, naieve as she is, got her ass handed to her in the very first episode. I also like how she is the only one being naive. I like the name Gjallerhorn. Reminds me of 'The Mighty Thor'  written by Walter Simmonson, great times. The characters are actually pretty descent. You'd imagine a fat guy named Biscuit to be a wimp being bullied all the time, but thusfar he seems to have the chops to be more like Musashi (Getter Robo).

after watching episode 2 she already goddam annoys me. Reminds me of that one girl from Destiny.

Hence, cautiously optimistic. I am suspecting that (similarly to Gundam 00) this series would be better off without the Gundam-label attached to it. Guess you need the milk the cow untill it dies. Episode 2 airs today, so we'll see how promising this series will really be (I am a great fan of the 3 episodes rule).

I kinda disagree I feel like it does deserve the Gundam name It has Gundams in it after all. Also 00 also pretty much deserved the name. If its because of only Celestial Beeing having Gundams and the rest frames and stuff then Gundam wing shouldnt have Gundam infront of it too since they mostly used Leos too. I mean I'm still wondering how the hell they designed those Gundams if all they had was Tallgeese designs and those weren't really Gundam looking either.

Its still early and I just woke up hope you get my point.

YmSsY2C.png

#26 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:58 AM

Well depends on what time that space fight was. Wasn't it even the legendary battle one where Char became the Red Comet? It would make sense by the time then that the suits move quick and agile specially the Red Comet.

While your initial assumption is correct (it depends on the specific time in the UC era), your argument doesn't quite justify the way the battle was displayed. The battle of Loum was famous for being a huge federation defeat at the hand of a new weapon. That new weapon being the Mobile Suit. It's performance was, in relation to the rest of UC, rudementary at best. The fact Char became the Red Comet was thanks to his personal skills and had very little to do with Mobile Suit performance. Everyone had the same suit. Heck the Zaku I prototype had no limiters, making it faster/more agile then the Zaku II's being used during the battle of Loum. Char outperformed everyone else, which led to him being called the Red Comet. There's no way that a Zaku II moves like the fricking F91 in terms of agility. It's also very inconsistent with 0079 and the way the show and movies portray Mobile Suits (despite internal inconsitencies there and Sunrise not caring a single flipflop about continuity).

I kinda disagree I feel like it does deserve the Gundam name It has Gundams in it after all. Also 00 also pretty much deserved the name. If its because of only Celestial Beeing having Gundams and the rest frames and stuff then Gundam wing shouldnt have Gundam infront of it too since they mostly used Leos too.

There are various criteria you could use to describe a Gundam show. You could simply say that if there's something called a Gundam, it's a Gundam show. But then what makes it different from Code Geass for example. Would you qualify Code Geass as a Gundam show? Pretty sure you won't. Would you qualify Evangelion as a Gundam show? Again, pretty sure you won't. [Obviously I am naming other popular shows]. So then that begs the question, what makes a  Gundam show a Gundam show?

The most obvious answer is: (1) Sunrise decided it should be a Gundam show. Gundam is a cashcow and a huge toy commercial on top of that. So if Sunrise says it's a Gundam show, it's a Gundam show. This is a very narrow definition of course and Sunrise had very little to do with the inception of Gundam.

So let's look at what the creator of Gundam, Yoshiyuki Tomino (with the help of Yoshikazu Yasuhiko and mech designer Kunio Okawara), intended for Gundam. (2) Gundam is supposed to be an anti-war story and occasionally has environmentalist influences. This is all related to the various cultural changes Japan went through after WWII (this has been dissected on Mechatalk and /m/ for quite some time). To be an anti-war story however, Tomino had to create a war story. The fact he treated Mecha as real weapons (possibly analogues for atombombs, much like Godzilla) was what set it apart from earlier Mech shows (often reffered to as Super Robot shows, in which the Mech is more similar to a superhero). Through this more serious approach, Tomino focussed on civilians getting caught up in a war and showing the effects it had on them. In the end

Spoiler
There is however an alternative presented: the newtype. The newtype is an anolgue to people actually communicating and starting to understand each other. Compassion should be used to avoid war (this is a personal interpretation). So in short: Gundam has a philosofical message (anti-war/environmentalist) and deviates from existing conventions (real-robot instead of super robot*). If you look closely at G-Reco, this is exactly what Tomino has done again.

Of course 0079 didn't play out exactly like that. But these elements are visable troughout the quadrology (0079, Zeta, ZZ, Chars' Counterattack), which I personally take as refference for what a Gundam show should be. Other Gundam shows that follow these steps (in some capacity) are 0080, 0083, F91, Victory, Unicorn, Seed, Wing, 00 and G-Reco. Iron Blooded Orphans seems to build up to something similar

Spoiler
Turn A changed the game a little by showing
Spoiler
while G-Reco
Spoiler

Then there's also the more superficial similarities, like having a Haro, a bunch of kids on a ship, the whole carrier aspect, catapults, beam weapons. Etc. These are minor and don't really mean much IMO.

To round up this argument. Other Mech shows have philosophical messages too, like M3, Getter Robo, Gunbuster, Gaogaigar and Evangelion. But never in the same capacity Gundam had or has IMO. This is of course debatable.

As a comparison, I think a concept like After War X and G-Gundam would've worked great without the Gundam label. Gundam Wing, Gundam 00 as well as Gundam Seed could've gone without the Gundam label, but they do utilize similar concepts as the original quadrology so in essence you could consider them Gundam shows. Gundam AGE was a badly worked out concept and it has no depth whatsoever, so this is only a Gundam show in terms of visuals for me.

I do have to point out I am big on the U.C. timeline. I enjoyed Wing (nostalgia goggles), G Gundam, After War X, Gundam 00 and the various mentioned OVAs. I did not enjoy AGE, SEED and somehow Turn-A all that much. So generally I am not so interested in seeing Alternate Universes (AU) being 'Gundam', despite some of them being very true to the story of the original quadrology once told. Whether or not Iron Blooded Orphans will be an exception will be clear after the 25 episodes it runs, but thusfar I am staying skeptical based on my Non-AU perference.

*The real robot - super robot distinction is pretty outdated these days. Just so you know :P

I mean I'm still wondering how the hell they designed those Gundams if all they had was Tallgeese designs and those weren't really Gundam looking either.
Spoiler

• 베이클라이트 likes this

#27 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

Spoiler

I was more referring the look of the Tallgeese and the Gundams sine the Tallgeese looks more like well ... dosent look like a huge Samurai Mech like the actual Gundams.

YmSsY2C.png

#28 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:15 AM

So kinda done with my RX-79 1/100 and almost done with my Gundam Unicorn Full Armor just need to build ... well the full armor the boosters miniguns whatever. Also I kinda wanna LED the whole green psycho frame up.

Spoiler

• DGaius likes this

YmSsY2C.png

#29 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

Looking good though. The 1/144 Graveyard looks way better than the Altron and Wing I once build...not to mention the 'fantastic' paint application I gave my venator class cruiser.

I should start building my 1/144 Stark Jegan and ReZel Typ-C B Defenser unit.

#30 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:15 AM

Looking good though. The 1/144 Graveyard looks way better than the Altron and Wing I once build

mhm guess its because 2 of those are real grades and they look pretty good as they are. 

Got to say since ever I bought my first 1/100 kit im so inlove with them since they have quite more details, posing abilities and arent so fragile like 1/144.

one day ima buy the perfect grade Unicorn. 

YmSsY2C.png

#31 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:15 AM

I've seen Anh Nhan build a real grade Zeta and Zaku II Char's Custom and they indeed look a lot better than 1/144 out of the box. Not to mention they actually have frames within (like the 1/100), that reinfore the overall model. The reason I am hesitant about building the 1/144 is that I need to paint them. Which is a problem because I suck at painting so much. Plus all the money I invest in building kits is money not spent on studio gear (which is still my primary hobby). Not painting them is not really an option, since that would be a disservice to the model and look weird compared to my Robot Damashii.

Model building is a lot more of a hassle then I remember (I build a lot of Revell Star Wars stuff that didn't need painting). Should've stuck with the Robot Damashii, but the Stark Jegan aftermarket price is ridiculous and there is of course no RD ReZel... (I do have the regular Zeta though :P).

Having said that: the Perfect Grade Unicorn is a totall wallet killer. Not sure how it works buying from Amazon, since us dutchies don't have Amazon. But if we take into account importing, shipping and buying the thing. I'd be interested to see anyone build it though. It looks gorgeous and the transforming gimmick looks really neat too.

#32 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:19 AM

Having said that: the Perfect Grade Unicorn is a totall wallet killer.

Only Reason why I haven't imported one form Japan yet.
Dat Price brah
http://www.hlj.com/p...t/BAN994365/Gun
http://hlj.com/product/BAN994366/Gun

I just hope that when it arrives that I dont have to pay another 19% ontop of it like I had too with my Unicorn Fullarmor.

YmSsY2C.png

#33 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

I am sure you all have seen this already...

Spoiler

I am pretty hyped myself. I 'geeked out' when I saw the Falcon - TIE fighter and X-wing - TIE fighter action. It looked pretty epic (albeit a little like a few of the video games we've had in the past. Seriously look at this screenshot). Thusfar nothing really 'new', but nonetheless exciting.

There are still a few people critical people out there, not as hyped as the majority. Some of the posts I've seen floating around make good arguments. One I fully agree with, spoilery as it is:

Spoiler

I'd like to add that I am sincerely hoping for A-wing and B-wing upgrades or at least other new fighters. Not to mention something akin to a TIE defender would be pretty boss. One of the things I love about Star Wars is it's abundance of spaceships and something along the lines of ROTS' battle of Coruscant or ROTJ's battle of Endor always does well imo. Thusfar we've seen a couple of new ships sure, but I'd be pretty dissapointed of all we're getting is 'new' TIE Fighter fights 'new' X-wing.

One thing I am sure as heck not going to be disappointed by is John Williams new and old cues. I mean we're getting some OT themes/motives with glorious new recording techniques and technology AND new themes. Who doesn't want that!?

Curious to see more thoughts :)

#34 Sev

Sev

CAW Tester

• CAW Tester
  • 309 posts
  • Steam:Jazza!!!!!!!
  • LocationERROR: 001 To lazy to check

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:41 PM

The biggest immersion-breaker for me is

30 years after Endor -> Still have TIE fighters on X-Wing action.

We all know what's going to happen, and I'm confused why they didn't at least use the TIE Interceptor shown in Episode 6. I mean, I get they're iconic and all, but I don't think a galaxy-spanning empire's economy couldn't mass-produce it's successor. It's smaller, faster and better armed, when they used a Harrower-ripoff as a replacement for the ISD. New fighters and ships would be much nicer then using the same ship for more than 3 movies...

And now for the movie itself... I think I'm the most hyped person here. I was impressed by the trailers, not so much with the new one (the trench run... Why?). Being someone who grew up being told that there were three trilogies planned... mind you I thought the new one was going to start in the 20s or 30s :/

The only thing I hope they don't do is keep too many things the same in the original trilogy - particularly worried that Disney will portray the good guys as the small rebel faction...

I'm excited about the soundtrack and music. Not sure what to expect in this area though.

But the real question is... Who's going to hire out the cinema for us? :P
  • DGaius likes this

#35 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

But the real question is... Who's going to hire out the cinema for us? :P

I still have to get tickets. Not sure if I should pre-order or not (considering I am not in the US and Star Wars isn't THAT big here...I think).

So I have some free time on my hands, figured I'd pick up one of the goals I mentioned here in this thread: re-watching Ghost in the Shell. I choose to watch Ghost in the Shell: Arise. Alternative Architechture. Apparently it's a retelling of the 4 movies and adds new content in the final two episodes. Now I don't remember all that much from the first movie, but these episodes seem to have nothing in common with the movie. Can anyone (mostlikely Bakelit/Mobious/Whatever-his-name-is-now explain to me whether or not the series is a retelling and what the hell I am missing. The overall narrative is easy to follow, but there is so much being throw out there (terms) and very little infodump (not always a bad thing, but it is when you're setting up a series) that I have a really hard time following. Especially the whole conflict between bureaus and the way too complicated plot that keeps jumping around (it's not as nicely structured as a dectictive) makes it hard to figure out who they're exactly tracing and for what bloody reason.

Anyone care to enlighten me? I am at episode two, but I am planning on 'advancing' a few episodes this evening.

EDIT: I figured it out, I am missing a film and a tv series. Arise is also a series of movies, so the summary was not reffering to any movies I'd seen. Problem solved. Crap how did I miss this. Guess I'll have to watch the other things first.

#36 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:07 PM

ghost enlightment

Order to Watch
-------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost in the Shell: Arise [Feel free to skip this though]
Apparently its a prequel to everything else now. Even though stuff. Confusing. It just feels so disconnected...
------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler

--------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost in the Shell
Original Ghost in the shell watch before 2.0

Ghost in the Shell 2.0
remake of the first film not really a have to watch
--------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell Stand alone Complex 2nd GIG
Follows the Original Ghost in the shell plot with new cases and stuff as a TV series
MUST WATCH

Ghost in the Shell Solid State Society
Ghost in the shell 2: Innocence
Movies after standalone complex also MUST watch
don't quote me on it though just pulled this out of my head might have switched up some titles.

found this. (includes all the mangas too that I haven't read.....) 
Contains some spoilers for standalone complex series!!!!!!! 

also on a personal note I hate arises (plot was good though) style I want my Major back
Ghost_in_the_Shell_S.A.C._2nd_GIG_Motoko

Edited by 베이클라이트, 21 October 2015 - 12:45 PM.

• DGaius likes this

YmSsY2C.png

#37 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:22 PM

Still dont know if I like it or not after episode 4 that was.... kinda... well... nothing happend.

I kinda got interested into the whole political system they have though...

19715156381_9e615f4091_o.jpg

YmSsY2C.png

#38 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:59 PM

The preview for next week was promising, considering we're getting *not space Leo* (I honestly forget the name of the Gjallerhorn mobile suit). 

Are you also following Comet lucifer and Heavy Object by any chance?

#39 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

Are you also following Comet lucifer and Heavy Object by any chance?

Vat and vat?

YmSsY2C.png

#40 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:55 PM

The two other Mech related shows which started airing this Autum season. There's a few more ongoing, which started in summer and even before (and ofcourse we're also getting The Origin II), but these two have my interest at the moment. Together with Gundam:IBO that is. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users