• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:43 AM

Oh I see well gonna check it out some time then.

Maybe show something of those 2 anims? I dont care about beeing spoiled.

YmSsY2C.png

#42 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

There's very little to show besides promotional material. They're both still ongoing. Thusfar nothing special IMO. You're better off watching Patlabor if you haven't (to name one). 

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#43 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

Patlabor

Did. Not really my cup of tea though.

YmSsY2C.png

#44 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

First Look at the New Macross Anime 

So I really wanna get into Macross again and a bit more heavily. Is there any guide out there in which order to watch them?

Macross-Fighter-Plane-Wallpaper.jpg

• DGaius likes this

YmSsY2C.png

#45 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

Pro:

• Upgrade valkyrie vs. Saab Draken -> hell yes;
  • Action looks like typical Macross dogfighting -> sweet

Cons:

• Boy band vs. Idol group -> for crying out loud, as if there's not enough moe going around;
  • Knight theme -> I am not a fan of it;
  • more fake german -> can the japs get over germany already? We get it, you were both the bad guys fucking 70 years ago...

I just can't get excited about things these days anymore. Dogfights usually cheer me up, but this already looks cheesy. I even have my doubts about a Star Wars movie and I can't get hype for Captain America Civil War either. I would've shit my pants from awesomeness not even 5 years ago if I'd known this would be on the way.

So I really wanna get into Macross again and a bit more heavily. Is there any guide out there in which order to watch them?

I don't think there is. Production order seems to be the best order. I have a feeling you've already seen this image:

Spoiler

Which basically says the same. I personally didn't see the Macross Movie: Do you remember love (I had at the time just finished the TV series) and I also didn't watch 7 due to the diveded opinions on it. I may watch that if this turns out to be a turd. 

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#46 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:26 AM

Pro:

• Upgrade valkyrie vs. Saab Draken -> hell yes;
  • Action looks like typical Macross dogfighting -> sweet

Cool & Cool²

Cons:

• Boy band vs. Idol group -> for crying out loud, as if there's not enough moe going around;
  • Knight theme -> I am not a fan of it;
  • more fake german -> can the japs get over germany already? We get it, you were both the bad guys fucking 70 years ago...
  • The fuck why just why. I mean I get that macross heavily featured singers and stuff but this....
  • Me Either not a fan of this shit. Already hated all that Mars knight thing in Aldnoah Zero
  • I Like it. Yeah. They should not stop it.

I don't think there is. Production order seems to be the best order. I have a feeling you've already seen this image:

Spoiler

Which basically says the same. I personally didn't see the Macross Movie: Do you remember love (I had at the time just finished the TV series) and I also didn't watch 7 due to the diveded opinions on it. I may watch that if this turns out to be a turd. 

Nope haven't seen it. Thanks

Edited by DGaius, 29 October 2015 - 10:08 AM.
Formatting

YmSsY2C.png

#47 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

I found something that might beuseful for some people to get into animes in general because if you get into animes then you sure will get into Mecha animes!

Spoiler

Edited by DGaius, 06 November 2015 - 05:36 PM.
Spoilered a very large image

• DGaius and SternuS like this

YmSsY2C.png

#48 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

That's a pretty decent chart, good mix of old and new. Which makes it a lot better than the majority of charts out there. I'll included it in the opening post.

Since I don't have a lot of time, but do want to share some news/opinions:

• there are rumours that Tomino is making G-Reco (Gundam: Reconquista in G) movies;
  • Mobile suit Gundam The Origin II is out and it's as good as the first one IMO;
  • Pacific Rim: Tales of the Drift 1 is out. It's basically what Travis Beacham wrote about Tacit Ronan in the original script. It doesn't look as epic...bummer;

I wish I could include a link to the 'news' of Tomino making compilation movies again, but unfortunately the 'news' is a series of Japanese tweets. So I can only count it as a rumour right now. 

#49 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

• Mobile suit Gundam The Origin II is out and it's as good as the first one IMO;

dang it too tired to watch it now gonna do it tomorrow, im so excited.

And so the next day....

Spoilers for Gundam origins episode 2 

Spoiler

also I kinda stopped watching the Orphan Gundam. Kinda lost my interest in it even though I still love the Gundam Barbados so badass that thing.

YmSsY2C.png

#50 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • Steam:sird31mos
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:45 AM

Package from one Mr. Bakelit:

Because he couldn't post it himself for some reason.

• DGaius likes this

I am a naturally philosophical and industrious evil.

It's all or nothin' baby, it's never ever maybe

You think I might be crazy, but I gotta be ALL IN

Spoiler
Spoiler

#51 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

Et encore.

• DGaius likes this

Spoiler
Spoiler

#52 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

You are aware that you are also allowed to be part of the thread/discussion, instead of relaying messages?

Nonetheless looking foward to Part III indeed. While the Manga has ended already in Japan, it'll also end with the publication of the final translated volume in 2 weeks. Very much worth the wait. Unlike other entries, the story here is very consistent and keeps hitting the right beats for me thusfar. Great, great ride.

Another thing, promo related, which seems like an interesting ride (also an UC variation, so sort of an alternate universe similar to The Origin) is Gundam Thunderbolt. As many stated before me: Gundam + Jazz? Hell yes!

Slightly concerned about the 'edge'  factor here. Since it doesn't do all works justice. Time will tell.

#53 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:29 AM

You are aware that you are also allowed to be part of the thread/discussion, instead of relaying messages?

Of course. I simply have nothing to say. Unless you count my anticipation of the release of the next Evangelion movie, I've neither the investment nor the knowledge to contribute anything worthwhile to a mecha discussion. I treat this thread like something of a repository for future perusal; bookmark and forget, as it were.
  • DGaius likes this

Spoiler
Spoiler

#54 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

I simply have nothing to say. Unless you count my anticipation of the release of the next Evangelion movie.

I do. Because while the original TV series totally took me on a wild ride (which I enjoyed), the movies really didn't do anything for me thusfar. Given I've seen so much discussion (and shitposting) regarding NGE, it somewhat dulls the experience. Truth be told, I did like the first two movies. They felt like good updates to me. The third movie however. I have no idea what was happening. Hence I would very  much like to pick your brain about it. I've found that while the overall Mecha community sometimes has trouble expressing and accepting differing views, they generally enhance the experience for me. Granted that sharing experiences is done in a civil way, much like what is seen on the majority of this forum :)

#55 Mrripley9

Mrripley9

Chief Petty Officer

• Authorized Playtester
  • 569 posts
  • Steam:The Rip-meister
  • LocationReach :P

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

I haven't  watched  Gundam in YEARS. Not since when I  was  a child.  Would  anyone have a  good  place to start?

“Usually, the good Lord works in mysterious ways. But not today! This here is 66 tons of straight-up, H.E-spewing dee-vine intervention! If God is love, then you can call me 'Cupid'!”

76561198099678337.png

#56 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 04 December 2015 - 02:45 PM

I haven't  watched  Gundam in YEARS. Not since when I  was  a child.  Would  anyone have a  good  place to start?

There's a chart in the first post I made that lists all Gundam shows made up untill Iron Blooded Orphans (which started airing this october). The chart shows you which series are connected and presents a (biased) point of view on how to watch it. There's also a recommendation list by Anime News Network, which is generally in line with what I would recommend. The reasoning however is odd as the auther herself just started watching and seems to miss the finer details. So she's right for the wrong reasons. However the list is highly debated within the community and has not been received very well, considering the rather odd reasoning. If that doesn't matter to you then here are two links to make your life easier:

If you do care about an informed recommendation (my words), then I'd suggest the following few options:

1. series you can start watching:

• Mobile Suit Gundam: the original, made in 1979. It's old and it shows. The quality of the animation was poor even for its time. It does however introduce you to everything you need to know and all tropes that the genre knows. There's the TV series or the compilation movies. Either is fine as a starting point. The TV series is the full package, the compilation movies are a little too compact but a lot more serious in tone;
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: you mentioned you haven't seen Gundam since your childhood and judging by the demographic I am guessing that this is the show you saw. Basically like the majority of us. You should watch it for the nostalgia factor. Don't expect it to have any of the depth Bakelit and I give Gundam credit for though;

Generally Gundam SEED and Gundam 00 are mentioned as good starters (because they're alternate universes and popular in America). They're fairly modern adaptations. Gundam 00 more original then SEED (SEED is basically a modern rehash and combines everything that was 'cool'  in UC into one entry).

2. Series that are not good starting points:

• Turn A/G no Reconquista: both shows are hard to understand without having seen the UC quadrology (MSG, Z, ZZ and Chars' Counterattack) and preferably even all of UC (which includes side stories and late UC movies/series). While you will be able to appreciate the stories, the more philosophical aspects will probably not surface. I personally experienced this with Turn A;
  • The Origin: a retelling and partial retcon of Mobile Suit Gundam. While the overall story is the same, the changes in details and additions to the story will only make sense if you've seen the original. This is of course relative, you could sign up for a great ride, but a lot of the enjoyment I have with the series is because of it's additions. I don't think it would work standalone, because the author somewhat expects the reader to know about MSG;
  • AGE: Tried to do what Gundam SEED did. It utterly failed, because it tried to be crossplatform.

If you have a prefference for a particular type of story, I may give you an even more detailed recommendation. But I think this will be more then enough to get you started in combination with the two links above. Fair warning: Gundam is quite an investment, but it's worth it in the long run. Have fun watching :)

#57 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:32 PM

Truth be told, I did like the first two movies. They felt like good updates to me. The third movie however. I have no idea what was happening. Hence I would very  much like to pick your brain about it.

It's been a while, so I'll probably miss a couple important points somewhere in here.

I didn't like it. That said, I thought it was brilliant. For anyone who knows Evangelion, 3.0 was essentially a sudden left turn through the playground of an orphanage. From the very beginning it shucks all pretense of adhering to the original source material and thrusts the viewer into a frighteningly different world that somehow manages to be filled with more uncertainty than it was before. Every step in the story serves to make you uncomfortable, either through your own insights of how the original series went, or simply being uncannily disturbing.

You mentioned you didn't know what was happening; this was intentional. You're being led through the same unfamiliar hoops as Shinji, barely (or perhaps not at all) keeping up as you try to acclimate. Alongside him, you try to reconcile the ungodly differences between what you knew and what's being told to you, finding whatever solace you may, even as you await the inevitable detonation of the powder keg that is Kaworu. However, unlike Shinji, you likely weren't drowned in the bitter poison of hope, that all the wrongs in the world could somehow be fixed. This is where you start to lose your connection with the one character you can truly identify with anymore, and if it had occurred any earlier, or lasted any longer than it did, I would have called that a monumental failure in storytelling.

As it stands, the last half hour saw the utter deconstruction of Shinji as a character. Everything he ever knew and loved is either gone or unrecognizable, and it is largely his responsibility. You can see him at the end, utterly catatonic. He has nothing, he can do nothing, he can be nothing. The entire world has been taken and flipped upside down. It's a beautifully twisted and demented nightmare-scape where the best intentions cause the worst harm.

One thing that did bug me, though, was that NERV/SEELE apparently could build those drones that were basically as dangerous as Angels. They apparently just magically harnessed the power to literally vaporize entire warships. It seems so laughably out of place, I just can't find any justification for it.

• DGaius likes this

Spoiler
Spoiler

#58 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:41 PM

For anyone who knows Evangelion, 3.0 was essentially a sudden left turn through the playground of an orphanage. From the very beginning it shucks all pretense of adhering to the original source material and thrusts the viewer into a frighteningly different world that somehow manages to be filled with more uncertainty than it was before. Every step in the story serves to make you uncomfortable, either through your own insights of how the original series went, or simply being uncannily disturbing.
That certainly is an appropriate summary of what happened. Good to see I am not the only one who felt the whole thing was plain weird.

You mentioned you didn't know what was happening; this was intentional. You're being led through the same unfamiliar hoops as Shinji, barely (or perhaps not at all) keeping up as you try to acclimate. Alongside him, you try to reconcile the ungodly differences between what you knew and what's being told to you, finding whatever solace you may, even as you await the inevitable detonation of the powder keg that is Kaworu. However, unlike Shinji, you likely weren't drowned in the bitter poison of hope, that all the wrongs in the world could somehow be fixed. This is where you start to lose your connection with the one character you can truly identify with anymore, and if it had occurred any earlier, or lasted any longer than it did, I would have called that a monumental failure in storytelling.

I've never really considered that Anno's goal would be to make the viewer as uncomfortable as the main character. It would make sense though, as Anno has always tried to steer away from existing clichés and try something new. Still I sincerely doubt this was entirely intentional. Anno has (similarly to his mentor Miyazaki) lamented about 'otaku-culture' or rather the state of the anime-industry and the people attracted to it (viewers and creators alike), in numerous interviews. Which is strange considering it is exactly that crowd that has made him this popular. I am aware this sounds like an argument that could have been opted by a bunch of butthurt fans. But for me it holds some truth in the sense that Anno has always been very contradictive about NGE in interviews (assuming all interviews were translated correctly and the editors didn't forget to mention he was joking). So while he may have had good reasons do so in terms of storytelling, 3.0 still felt like a waste of time.

Especially considering the execution. One of the reasons I feel that NGE works so well in the west is the edge factor that made it popular to a mainstream audience. An earlier work of Anno, Gunbuster, isn't nearly as psychotic, but still deals with relatively heavy themes. It's parodying a lot of tropes and clichés of it's time, but does something intelligent with it. It's also one of the few Mech series that properly applies physics to anything that doesn't concern the Mech (LOL). Guess which one I find the superior work. The point I am trying to make though is that Anno might have a double agenda and based on that and the execution, 3.0 feels like a huge waste of time.

To put this argument in perspective: Tomino, creator of gundam, recently did a similar thing with his series. The construction and airing of G no Reconquista was highly devisive. Some people love it, some people really hate it. EIther way, it was both different and similar to what Tomino has done in the past. He's trying to tell a familiar tale, in an entirely new way. He's also no stranger when it comes to taking stabs at the audience and fanbase. So his goal here is quite similar to Anno. Yet I found G-Reco to be an extension of what was already told. It had an updated message, that only a added modern point of view. His changes were a lot more intelligent instead of provocative. Especially considering he too alienated a whole bunch of fans.

As it stands, the last half hour saw the utter deconstruction of Shinji as a character. Everything he ever knew and loved is either gone or unrecognizable, and it is largely his responsibility. You can see him at the end, utterly catatonic. He has nothing, he can do nothing, he can be nothing. The entire world has been taken and flipped upside down. It's a beautifully twisted and demented nightmare-scape where the best intentions cause the worst harm.

This is the only thing I therefor disagree with. Shinji was always this type of character. At the start of the TV series, this worked for him. If a kid gets pushed into a giant Mech, to fight a bunch of creatures, it is indeed reasonable that he will get PTSD. And by halfway the story you feel bad for him. Then shit hits the fan and you're wondering what the hell he is doing. Not to mention the weird ending of the series by means of a movie. It makes it hard to relate. In terms of character, the exact same is happening now in the rebuild movies. I do agree with the notion that the whole world has changed and he no longer has a part in it, which is the exact oppositive of the original series. This would've been the kind of thing I'd consider 'intelligent', as it invites a new way of looking at themes in the original TVS series.  The changes could've been a great thing, if this series of movies wasn't advertised as a reboot.

#59 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

Still I sincerely doubt this was entirely intentional. Anno has (similarly to his mentor Miyazaki) lamented about 'otaku-culture' or rather the state of the anime-industry and the people attracted to it (viewers and creators alike), in numerous interviews.

A man can dream. Though, it's entirely possible I saw what I wanted to see.

Shinji was always this type of character.

He was always distressed. He didn't have his soul crushed after every struggle. There was always something that made him keep fighting, kept him moving forward, in the series. Asuka almost has to physically drag him at the end of 3.0. He has no purpose, it was stripped from him. He has no friends, they despise him for the consequences of his actions. He has nowhere to run, it's all been destroyed. His last hope was a lie. He was unceremoniously thrust into a world in which he doesn't belong. He is dead.

• DGaius likes this

Spoiler
Spoiler

#60 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:10 PM

I've been trying to come up with a good response. These are all such fine observations. Your describtion reminded me of one of those movies

Spoiler
If the end of 3 and the beginning of 4 is the equivalent of that in the reboot, then I must give Anno a lot more credit for his work. I will still hate the overall experience, but the way you present it seems very well thought out and makes my time investement a little more bearable :P

In other news: Star Wars is Mecha, but considering the scope of the franchise I figured I should post my initial thoughts about the movie in a seperate topic. Which I've done. Looking forward to see what people thought of The Force Awakens. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users