#1 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

I'll restart this thread from after the Great Purge...

So who all plays MTG here? And what all do you guys play?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
  • SternuS likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#2 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:27 PM

My primary deck is a mono-white Angel/Soldier themed deck with a side serving of life-gain... Here's a picture of the mythics in the deck. Top row is foil, bottom isn't...

9dc118d8b29a90d72d2dd25cd2c5381a.jpg

Top left to bottom right, this is...
Hero of Bladehold. Mikaus the Lunarch. Elspeth, Knight-Errant. Akroma, Angel of Wrath. Elspeth Tirel. Ajani Goldmane. Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite. Entreat the Angels.

• SternuS likes this
#define true false

Spoiler

#3 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:44 PM

I occasionally play. Mainly with a friend of my parents who has 5 or 6 balanced decks and 2 cheat decks.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#4 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:22 AM

and 2 cheat decks.

Uhm, you mean decks that are OP?

Anyway, I've been playing Magic since Mirrodin, when my brothers initiated me to the saga. I was about 9 years old and couldn't get much of the game yet, so I was mainly watching them playign with their friends. They bought a shitton of cards up until Shadowmoor, and, for reasons that are oblivious to me, abruptly interrupted at Eventide. Probably because they were tired, and heard that rules would change with the next release.

Disappointingly, with all the cardsw that they bought, they never found, as far as I know, a Command, a Sword, or a Goyf. But I recently found out that actually, they found one sword:

Sword%20of%20Fire%20and%20Ice.full.jpg

I found it in an old deck my borther used to play. That'd be the most valuable card I have, along with a foil Mystic Gate, and some others.

But then, when my brothers stopped buying Magic, I kind of lost the interest in it too, and apart from seldomly buying boosters, I detached from the game up until...well, very recently, actually. I got interested in Theros for its amazing artwork and storyline, and when I reunited with a friend who shared the same passion, I managed to get back fully operational. And now I'm trying to catch up with what I lost, and managed to buy a lot of 7500 cards, divided in 40€ from me and 60€ from my friend, containing this guy, a dozen other good cards, and many of those that I missed (but unfortunately, no Jace, the Mind Sculptor. Eh.)

And here I am, playing casually, attending prereleases.

I currently have some decks, the decklist of which I still have to put online. I'll do ASAP.

EDIT:

Link to my WB Sunlance

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#5 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

Oh cool you've got a one shot robot... I had one of those at one point in time. I also got a FTV:L pack so I've got a ton of nice mythics that are very foily indeed

#define true false

Spoiler

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

By cheat decks I mean one that allows for Infinite draining of ebeny life points, and another that allows you to have invincible creatures with Flying and First Strike.

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:54 AM

By cheat decks I mean one that allows for Infinite draining of ebeny life points, and another that allows you to have invincible creatures with Flying and First Strike.

Define invincible...

Akroma's memorial plus Elspeth Knight-Errant can make that (and more) happen relatively easily :)

It's all about stopping that before it happens.
Also infect is a thing... Infect decks are evil. And unless they've got protection from everything or protection from all colors they aren't immune to infect.

A lot of cheat and combo decks have fatal weaknesses you can exploit to shut down the combo before it starts

• SternuS likes this
#define true false

Spoiler

#8 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:01 AM

Interesting deck there SternuS. You don't have any mythics though - do you have any you could add in? They have a tendency to be strictly better than lower rarities so adding in mythics (that work with the deck obviously) almost always is a good idea

• SternuS likes this
#define true false

Spoiler

#9 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

Oh cool you've got a one shot robot... I had one of those at one point in time. I also got a FTV:L pack so I've got a ton of nice mythics that are very foily indeed

Oh yes, FTV. I'll get one as soon as I have some money to spare.

Interesting deck there SternuS. You don't have any mythics though - do you have any you could add in? They have a tendency to be strictly better than lower rarities so adding in mythics (that work with the deck obviously) almost always is a good idea

Heh, not that I recall. I hope I'll get Athreos sooner or later, 'cause that would definitely go in.

The first one is pesky and not my favourite type of meta. Infinite combos are an instant win, not something I support in Magic. *Glares at Emrakul*

The second one sounds very legit as a strategy. Depends on which creatures and which colours do you have at your disposal. If invincibel and flying are your weak spots, try with Blue for counterspells/bouncings or with White for removals.

One card I've come to love with is Celestial Flare. Why is it good? Because it targets the player. And usually, heavy hitters are used alone.

• sloosecannon likes this

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#10 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

The first one is pesky and not my favourite type of meta. Infinite combos are an instant win, not something I support in Magic. *Glares at Emrakul*
The second one sounds very legit as a strategy. Depends on which creatures and which colours do you have at your disposal. If invincibel and flying are your weak spots, try with Blue for counterspells/bouncings or with White for removals.

QFT.

But realistically, unless it's a deck like the one I mentioned on the other thread (kiki jiki turn 3 guaranteed infinite) if he's going infinite, you're probably doing something wrong at some point. Almost all infinite combos can be stopped either with a well placed counter or creature kill or some other disruption.

Agig, what kind of deck do you run? What colors and what kind of flavor?

#define true false

Spoiler

#11 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:49 AM

I don't have any myself, but want to start playing. If I do, I'd probably go with Black, White, and Blue as my favored colors.

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#12 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

I don't have any myself, but want to start playing. If I do, I'd probably go with Black, White, and Blue as my favored colors.

Well see BWU is perfect to shut down someone else's combos. B to kill, W to remove, U to counter.

If you'd like to start playing and learning the cards, something like Cockatrice can get you into the game and let you play online without throwing a ton of money or time at WotC. It lets you playtest your decks against real people and see how you do. Plus it's free. You might even be able to find me or SternuS online (no idea if he uses it) and we can help build a deck.
  • SternuS likes this
#define true false

Spoiler

#13 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

Well see BWU is perfect to shut down someone else's combos. B to kill, W to remove, U to counter.

If you'd like to start playing and learning the cards, something like Cockatrice can get you into the game and let you play online without throwing a ton of money or time at WotC. It lets you playtest your decks against real people and see how you do. Plus it's free. You might even be able to find me or SternuS online (no idea if he uses it) and we can help build a deck.

You can find me as SternuS over there. Been a fan of Cockatrice since I first tried it, and needless to say, it's way better than any bullshit WotC will try and make you buy.

Whenever you're up for something, I'm more than glad to help you starting. If you like that colours, than Esper would be a perfect point to start with. Basically, you control the shit out of your opponent. That pesky combo he used to always make? How about "You-mill-your-whole-deck-in-4-turns" instead?

#14 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:32 AM

How about "You-mill-your-whole-deck-in-4-turns" instead?

Wild and Free ™*, the EVIL deck a friend of mine has, is a mana-drain deck. He shuts down your ability to do anything by preventing untaps, lands enter tapped, and making attacks cost mana. It's absolutely evil. Playing against that deck is probably the most fustrating thing you can possibly do. It's great to use when someone's acting troll-y and combo-ing you.

*Named after the cardsleeves he puts the deck in: Link. Also ironic because when you play against it you aren't wild and free. At all...
  • SternuS likes this
#define true false

Spoiler

#15 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

Wild and Free ™*, the EVIL deck a friend of mine has, is a mana-drain deck. He shuts down your ability to do anything by preventing untaps, lands enter tapped, and making attacks cost mana. It's absolutely evil. Playing against that deck is probably the most fustrating thing you can possibly do. It's great to use when someone's acting troll-y and combo-ing you.

*Named after the cardsleeves he puts the deck in: Link. Also ironic because when you play against it you aren't wild and free. At all...

Oh, I forgot to mention. Tap-your-things instants, sorceries, and abilities. So even if you manage to have an untapped land, it doesn't even matter because he'll tap it anyways.
#define true false

Spoiler

#16 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Link to my Pauper Heroic

Yeah, uhm, that tapping, er...those bastards! I don't really understand who...ehm...does that...filthy people!

Note to self: Never upload that deck

#17 Riftis

Riftis

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Steam:Riftis

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:21 AM

I play, sporadically started around 11th and got serious with strong RTR and Theros standard decks but I really didn't like Khans. I've just stuck to Commander for the past year or so, currently got Bant, Esper and Izzet decks. I was building a black/blue zombie tribal deck but there's not enough strong zombies so I had to use filler bad cards which just made the deck unviable. Not sure what I'll build next, waiting for something interesting or silly to catch my eye.

Really looking forward to Zendikar though, waiting for the spoilers to decide if I'll get back into playing standard.

• SternuS likes this

#18 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 August 2015 - 11:00 AM

I play, sporadically started around 11th and got serious with strong RTR and Theros standard decks but I really didn't like Khans. I've just stuck to Commander for the past year or so, currently got Bant, Esper and Izzet decks. I was building a black/blue zombie tribal deck but there's not enough strong zombies so I had to use filler bad cards which just made the deck unviable. Not sure what I'll build next, waiting for something interesting or silly to catch my eye.

Really looking forward to Zendikar though, waiting for the spoilers to decide if I'll get back into playing standard.

Unfortunately, Khans, for I dislike it too (not Dragons, though, which I found quite good), has had a strong impact in Standard. Abzan Control always makes it in the top 8, and I remember Sidisi Whip and generally Anafenza doing great.

Basically, Siege Rhino is going to be one of the best cards even when it will cycle out of Standard.

• Riftis likes this

#19 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:33 AM

I'm sure you know this, and if you didn't, shame on you, but I'm getting it so I'll post it here.

Tomorrow, this beauty comes out.

EN_6rvvchitua.png

Article link: http://magic.wizards...razi-2015-08-17

I don't know if it will have value in it, I don't honestly care. The fact that there are previews of the new abilities coming in Battle for Zendikar, and Eldrazi cards themselves, is enough to make me buy it. It will also be my, sadly, first buy of a Duel Deck. I missed some very good ones. But this is going to be awesome. Zendikar is one of my favourite planes (Oh, don't you say?), so yeah.

H3eURMvTnq.jpg

4AfWZrTMSp.jpg

• Riftis likes this

#20 Riftis

Riftis

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Steam:Riftis

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:25 AM

I'm excited after seeing the Zendikar spoilers, I was worried WoTC wouldn't feature the Eldrazi until the later part of the block. I'll definitely be getting back into M:TG.

I normally only pick up the dual decks with planeswalkers as the decks are normally made for new player accessibility rather than card value, so there's been some bad ones (Heroes Verses Monsters for Theros was particularly bad). But the new dual deck looks excellent, some really good commander cards, at a guess I would say reasonably valuable cards include Avenger of Zendikar (~£5), Stirring Wildwood (~£3, though it might go for a bit more as dual manlands are always popular in modern) and Primal Command (~£4), with Seer's Sundial and Scute Mob both being popular in Commander even though they're not worth much. And the Eldrazi decklist hasn't even been released yet, but you can bet they'll be worth a bit.

• SternuS likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users