#1 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:15 AM

HSOI-Cover.jpg

"After decades of grim combat against the humans and then the traitorous Covenant Prophets, the Sangheili warrior Rtas ‘Vadum—the Half-Jaw—has earned a long rest. But not all of the Prophets perished in their holy city, High Charity, and now one of their fearsome Prelates has sworn his vengeance. This powerful threat has set a cataclysmic plan in motion—a plan to lure the Half-Jaw into a trap that will herald the utter destruction of the entire Sangheili race…"

Cover art is here! And its badass.  As the recent canon fodder has suggested, that Sangheili warrior wielding that badass energy spear isn't Thel, but a female Sangheili warrior, the first in history that we've seen in the canon.  So pumped.  Below is the link to the full article in this week's canon fodder

https://www.halowayp...adow-of-intense

• MrChipps, SternuS and Riftis like this

#2 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

Pretty damn excited for this one since its written by Joe.

I know a guy that would rather bang Rtas then a female elite or like a decent human, another human.

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#3 Centurian128

Centurian128

Crewman

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationKaalann, Skaro

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:32 AM

Groovy!

Spoiler

#4 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:32 AM

They better not kill Rtas or destroy the Intent in this book.

They better not.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#5 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:51 AM

They better not.

They make it seem that both happened but then in Halo 5 just as Blue Team is about to die Rtas,Thel , and the SoI come in to kick ass and save the day Sangheili style. Joking of course.

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#6 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

They make it seem that both happened but then in Halo 5 just as Blue Team is about to die Rtas,Thel , and the SoI come in to kick ass and save the day Sangheili style. Joking of course.

I....I would like that, actually.

I would love it.

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#7 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:32 AM

They better not.

Intent is definitely not destroyed if this takes place before Halo 5 since it takes place in 2558.  It survived a battle with Jul's Covenant (albeit with significant damage).  Apparently one of the devs for Fleet Battles said SoI with its new upgrades would lose to Infinity only after a long and prolonged battle.  

"Vessel dispatched with support fleet [June 1, 2557 - March 3, 2558] to protect [macto cognatus] core [sphere]. Recent [frumentarii] records [naufragum] of three [speculatoria navigia] tasked to monitor vessel's fleet activities. Losses not reported to Human naval authorities."

It did however vaporize three ONI prowlers spying on it like a boss.  Rtas don't take no shit from space Nazis.

• SternuS and SiRD31M0S like this

#8 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

I....I would like that, actually.

I would love it.

Imagine this. (Warning: its probably shit)

Blue team is backed against a wall with Linda on a small ledge high up as her sniper rifle booms over and over, the barrel warping from the constant firing. Below Linda at the bottom of the cliff Kelly and Fred are running amok in the Covenant ranks one with his knives and the other with her shotgun. At one point Kelly runs out of ammo for her shotgun so she resorts to using it as a club caving in Grunts and Elites skulls alike while Fred is taking on several Elites at once and as he is about to get killed Kelly just slams the 3 elites in one go with her gun turned club saving him from death. Closer to the cliff we see John with AR in hand just absolutely wrecking Elites, Jackals, and Grunts alike. 

Soon Blue gets backed up into a small group of rocks forced to use Covenant weapons. Things do not look good especially considering 3 Corvettes sitting above them waiting for the Demons to die. Just as all seems lost and Blue team is going to go out in a blaze of glory a blue portal violently rips a tear in reality next to one Corvette. Before the tiny ship can even react the Intent comes screaming out destroying the Corvette and forcing the other two into evasive maneuvers. Here we see the Arbiter and his Elites come screaming down in pods and Phantoms crashing into the rear of the Storm Covenants ranks like a tsunami of Swords and Plasma.

PS: Must be by Blur or it won't be shown fully IMO.

I know no current Human or Covie ship can slipspace into Atmosphere but fuck it I haven't slept for 29 hours.

• SternuS likes this

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#9 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

Imagine this. (Warning: its probably shit)

Blue team is backed against a wall with Linda on a small ledge high up as her sniper rifle booms over and over, the barrel warping from the constant firing. Below Linda at the bottom of the cliff Kelly and Fred are running amok in the Covenant ranks one with his knives and the other with her shotgun. At one point Kelly runs out of ammo for her shotgun so she resorts to using it as a club caving in Grunts and Elites skulls alike while Fred is taking on several Elites at once and as he is about to get killed Kelly just slams the 3 elites in one go with her gun turned club saving him from death. Closer to the cliff we see John with AR in hand just absolutely wrecking Elites, Jackals, and Grunts alike. 

Soon Blue gets backed up into a small group of rocks forced to use Covenant weapons. Things do not look good especially considering 3 Corvettes sitting above them waiting for the Demons to die. Just as all seems lost and Blue team is going to go out in a blaze of glory a blue portal violently rips a tear in reality next to one Corvette. Before the tiny ship can even react the Intent comes screaming out destroying the Corvette and forcing the other two into evasive maneuvers. Here we see the Arbiter and his Elites come screaming down in pods and Phantoms crashing into the rear of the Storm Covenants ranks like a tsunami of Swords and Plasma.

PS: Must be by Blur or it won't be shown fully IMO.

I know no current Human or Covie ship can slipspace into Atmosphere but fuck it I haven't slept for 29 hours.

Pretty sure they can.  Indulgence of Conviction and Shadow of Intent did during Halo 3.

• Jaeger likes this

#10 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

Pretty sure they can.  Indulgence of Conviction and Shadow of Intent did during Halo 3.

Ah yes, I forgot about Floodgate. I need to do my Halo replay before Halo 5 releases.

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#11 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

Yea, they can. When Cortana interfaced with a covenant flagship she discovered that covvie slip drives had better hardware but inferior software, she uppgraded the drive to function in atmo but the design was stolen by an enemy AI
Sweden can into gender!

#12 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

So I'm calling this now

At the end of Halo 5, or maybe at the end of the whole saga, they won't kill definitively Master Chief. He'll be with Blue Team in a Forerunner Structure, and to find Cortana he'll have to enter this Forerunner machinery that will make him like a Forerunner, composed maybe, and he'll turn around and salute Blue Team, all the while Locke will be following him and about to breach in the structure, while the Arbiter's forces are keeping him at bay giving time to Blue team to finish the mission, and then MC will enter this beam of light, obviously everything in due time, he'll be very careful, and the door closes behind him and that's the end of MC, forever living with Cortana, his mission finished, his life completed. And then Fred turns around and prepares to fight team osiris.

it's also 23:22 and I'm tired

• MrChipps and Riftis like this

#13 Riftis

Riftis

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Steam:Riftis

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:48 AM

I stopped reading after The Cole Protocol, wasn't too much interested in the pre-history stuff, but I really enjoyed Joe's writing style for Contact Harvest and the premise of Shadow of Intent sounds good, I'll definitely give it a read.

Interested to find out more about the Prophets's fate.

#14 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:11 AM

Spoiler

#15 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

Spoiler

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#16 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

Actually screw it.  This is a discussion thread, no more spoiler tags.

Yes there are a couple

1. There are allegedly only CAS-class assault carriers in the entire High Charity Defense fleet, both at the start of the battle, Sangheili held...ridiculous considering Truth himself had 2-3 at the Ark.  Additionally H2A shows several in orbit during the battle.  Now if you consider the Battle of High Charity and the Battle of Installation 05 separate that could be rectified however (the wiki does this).  

2. Half-Jaw glasses the city of High Charity, like in the dome to prevent flood infestation even though the Flood not only survives but has completely consumed the city.

3. The Shadow of Intent is crewed by some 200 soldiers due to 'limited recruitment'.

• This is slightly more bearable because Thel wanted to make sure the vessel was kept out of his enemy's hands and we know in Escalation how easy it is for traitors to emerge *cough Sali *cough.  And there were traitors even in his camp and keep lol.  So it makes sense for him to send Rtas on a long range mission with a small crew to keep it out of harms way (easier to screen 200 than 200,000) still the number was low and could have been explained a bit better than 'war killed the rest of the crew'.

4. SoI is the only assault carrier in the Swords of Sanghelios fleet.  This is simply false.  Even in 2559 based on the Return we see at least one other (if not more) assault carriers still in the SoS's fleet.  There were a few other minor ones as well like an assault carrier only having seven plasma cannons and stuff.

5. And this is perhaps the big one.  Shadow of Intent is stated to have started in Sangheili hands and Rtas is heavily implied to be aboard in the opening hours of the Great Schism when the Brutes betray the Sangheili.  We know this to be false as Rtas was present on Installation 05 leading quarantine operations on the ground, then he is seen moments before the Arbiter's betrayal at the library.  Then finally he's seen at 05 telling the Arbiter he'd take a cruiser back once he helped him reach the Scarab. + SoI is said to have started in Jiralhanae hands and taken back by Rtas.

"Very little is known of the Shadow of Intent’s operational history before the Great Schism. However, at the start of the Covenant civil war it was seized by Jiralhanae forces and turned against the Sangheili fleet staged outside High Charity. As the Arbiter fought to stop the firing of Delta Halo, special operations commander Rtas ‘Vadum led a strikeforce aboard the ship to retake control."- Waypoint

There's also the uber Grunt who I personally love, but some might find to be an offense to the canon.

"Stolt had survived encounters with human soldiers that saw many of his comrades fall. When he wasn’t battling the enemy, he outfought any Sangheili who sparred against him, enduring their melee strikes until they tired, and then pummeling them into submission with his chitinous fists and feet. After a chance encounter with one of the humans’ fearsome Spartans, in which the Unggoy wounded the enhanced human so grievously that it was forced to withdraw, even the Blademaster approved Stolt’s promotion to ranger leader."

#17 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

To be honest I had a good chuckle at the image of a grunt beating the shit out of Spartan.

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#18 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

^ Now i really want a Novel that follows this Super Grunt and that would reveal that this Grunt was the one that stopped Truth (remember all the dead Brutes shortly before you arrive at truth, lets just say it wasn't the flood that killed them), the Flood (it wasn't the blast doors that keept them out of the Control room from Installation 04b) and later would beat the crap out of the Didact shortly before the Master Chief arrives and takes all the credit for stopping the Didact (he is the Grunt we deserve, not the one we need right now).

Edit: He also killed all reinforcing Guards/Scarabs/Plot Device(for reasons) shortly before you kill Jul in halo 5, so to say it shortly, he is the reason Jul was so easy to kill.

Bonus: He is also the reason for the crashing cruiser in the opening cinematic from Halo 5.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte, SternuS and Lord Stark like this

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#19 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

I'm a bit late to this.

This novel is excellent simply because Rtas doesn't die, the Shadow od Intent isn't destroyed and Sangheili are awesome as fuck again, not that shitty slow-tard enemies shown in halo 5 cutscenes (they swing the Energy Sword slower than a grunt, for God's sake)

Speaking of Grunts, love that Grunt. He isn't a prominent character, but he is really well done.

That being said, I'm kind of tired of reading about San 'Shyuum's sexual relationships.

P.S. was it just me fagocitating this book, or was it effectively short? I've finished it in 2 days.

#20 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:00 PM

That being said, I'm kind of tired of reading about San 'Shyuum's sexual relationships.

Hey man, wanna buy some erotic truth/mercy/regret fanfic?

• cagywhiterino likes this

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users