mmeier

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Steam:mmeier1986
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:55 PM

Good evening everyone,

I'm Michael, and having been invited to SotP recently by Lavo, I thought I should introduce myself. First of all, I should probably say that I'm into SotP because it is a Sins mod, not because it is a Halo mod. I've actually never played any of the Halo games.

I've come to Sins modding via Lavo's Sins of a Galactic Empire mod, for which I was only a lowly playtester at first. Then I realised that it would take me about as long to write up some of my bugs as it would take me to actually fix them, and I started doing that. After wearing Lavo down with a stream of pull requests on Bitbucket, he finally caved and gave me write access to the SoGE repository. ;-)

Being a CS masters student, I helped Lavo avoid a number of boring drudgework tasks by writing automated scripts. That was about the point where I realized that basically all of Sins modding consists of text files. And text files can be parsed into objects and after that, you can do everything with them in a programming language. At that moment, my hubris kicked into overdrive. I decided to recreate a Sins mod in Python, for the purpose of automated checking of just about everything. Staring with the syntax of the text files like entities, to checking that all referenced files like models or sound files are actually present.

That piece of software, or at least what currently exists of it, made Lavo ask me if I would check SotP too. Which naturally I'm happy to do, and have already done in the past week. To the devs: I'm that M Meier who keeps peskering you with Pull Requests. ;-) Sorry for not having introduced myself earlier.

I intend to make said Python tool publicly available someday. But at the moment, it is mostly a loose collection of functions and classes, utterly unuseable for laypeople. Besides that, I'm also decidedly embaressed about some of the code. For the time being, it is better that no person shall risk his sanity by laying eyes on that Lovecraftian horror. ;-)

In addition to automated checks, I will also use my access to the Dev version to play SotP and report any bugs, should I find them.

Finally, I would like to say thanks to all the SotP modders. As I've said to Lavo quite often, I suffer from a complete lack of visual creativity or any kind of artistic sense or skill. I respect those who do posses those skills the more for it.

• Unikraken, 베이클라이트 and Aunt Gruntie like this

#2 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:56 PM

Ich mag dich.

YmSsY2C.png

#3 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

Welcome! Don't eat the brownies, ignore Bakelit, don't ask for the CS0, and always worship Unikraken.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#4 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

Wow, sounds like we're doing the same thing (I'm writing it in Java, but meh)

Welcome to the team and the forum!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#5 mmeier

mmeier

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Wow, sounds like we're doing the same thing (I'm writing it in Java, but meh)

Welcome to the team and the forum!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I had already considered that I'm not the only person with this idea. In the end, I think Java is the better choice. I had originally choosen Python because I thought having one of those dynamic interpreted languages in my portfolio might be a nice idea, and because I knew Python to run on my native Linux as well as on Windows, where most Sins modders probably work. I've only recently realised that that also meant that those same modders probably won't enjoy having to work on a terminal as much as I do. Not entirely certain what to do about it.

Welcome! Don't eat the brownies, ignore Bakelit, don't ask for the CS0, and always worship Unikraken.

Worshipping a multi-tentacled overlord? I think i can do that. ;-)

• sloosecannon likes this

#6 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:32 PM

I had already considered that I'm not the only person with this idea. In the end, I think Java is the better choice. I had originally choosen Python because I thought having one of those dynamic interpreted languages in my portfolio might be a nice idea, and because I knew Python to run on my native Linux as well as on Windows, where most Sins modders probably work. I've only recently realised that that also meant that those same modders probably won't enjoy having to work on a terminal as much as I do. Not entirely certain what to do about it.

You know Java at all? If you're interested in helping I'd be happy to share the project. I *think* my codebase isn't absolutely terrifying :P
#define true false

Spoiler

#7 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

As someone coming to SotP from outside the Halo community, what do you think of our little mod?

• sloosecannon and Fleet Admiral agigabyte like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#8 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:45 PM

ignore Bakelit

He can't do that. He's German I am German. That means German people stick together. Because we have a greater goal in mind.

YmSsY2C.png

#9 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:17 PM

He can't do that. He's German I am German. That means German people stick together. Because we have a greater goal in mind.

O.O
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#10 MrChipps

MrChipps

Having a beer with Colonel Jack O'Neill

• Contributor
  • 789 posts
  • LocationThe Commonwealth wasteland

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:28 AM

Who let you out of the padded cell?

Oh, and welcome mmeier to our slice of insanity!
  • Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this
Sweden can into gender!

#11 mmeier

mmeier

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:17 AM

You know Java at all? If you're interested in helping I'd be happy to share the project. I *think* my codebase isn't absolutely terrifying :P

Yep, I know Java, it was the main teaching language during my BSc program and I've worked on a scientific simulation program using it for a few years. That is also the reason I never used it for private projects - I was simply fed up with it. ;-) That said, I would really like to have a look at your code, out of professional curiosity, to see how you tackled the problem. In return, I will add you to my repository on Bitbucket. I would just ask that you do not judge me based on the things you will see in that source code. ;-)

As someone coming to SotP from outside the Halo community, what do you think of our little mod?

In Short: I like it! What I like the most is the difference in playstyle you achieved between Cov and UNSC. In Sins, most factions just differ in looks and stats. But in SotP, you achieved real difference. First, by the difference in supply - the Cov with only 11 Capital points but the UNSC with a lot more. Second, the UNSC MAC also make for a nice difference in combat, by really having to think, for example, which ships to target first due to the long reload times. Plus, the mods artwork is gorgeous, a UNSC fleet of heavy cruisers salvoing their missiles really is a sight to see.

Pssssssst Bakelit, you can't talk about "greater goals" in public - people tend to get very very nervous when Germans say things like that. ;-)

Who let you out of the padded cell?

Oh, and welcome mmeier to our slice of insanity!

Thanks!

• Unikraken and sloosecannon like this

#12 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:09 AM

Yep, I know Java, it was the main teaching language during my BSc program and I've worked on a scientific simulation program using it for a few years. That is also the reason I never used it for private projects - I was simply fed up with it. ;-) That said, I would really like to have a look at your code, out of professional curiosity, to see how you tackled the problem. In return, I will add you to my repository on Bitbucket. I would just ask that you do not judge me based on the things you will see in that source code. ;-)

Sounds good - I'll just need to push everything up :)

My code's probably just as bad, I have an unfortunate tendency to work on projects past midnight. Leads to... interesting results....
#define true false

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users