4 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:32 PM

So playing through the other day I was thinking about how Covenant faction names were the names of Prophets mostly.  I thought it'd be cool if they were named after the Ministries that seem to have influence in the military/ the various remnant factions.

[CORE RULEBOOK PAGE 7]
THE COVENANT
The Covenant is a confederation of diverse alien species, joined together by a singular religious vision. A strictly hierarchical social caste system dominates the relationship between the various species that make up the Covenant. Ruled over by Prophets and their enforcers, the Elites, the Covenant is unified in the belief that an ancient civilization known as the Forerunners built a series of Holy Rings which were used to transcend the mundane world and enter a higher plane of existence. The pursuit of these rings and following the path of the Forerunners is known as the The Great Journey, and the punishment for those who interfere is death.
MINISTRY FLEETS
Strictly speaking, the Covenant lacks a standing military. Instead, it possesses a bewildering variety of martial organizations under the control or influence of one or more Ministries: governing bodies who direct vital religious and secular activities. The power and prestige of their groups waxed and waned as they waged bloody internal wars for bureaucratic dominance and promotion of their particular brand of orthodoxy, but only three were of significance (to humans) during the Covenant War.
Ministry of Resolution:
Originally a minor organization tasked with countering piracy and ensuring the safety of trade and conversion ships, assignment to the Ministry of Resolution was considered an honorable posting that implicitly removed members from regular society due to long missions outside the explored rim of Covenant space. Under the direction of the High Prophets, the Ministry of Resolution grew rapidly in the early years of the Covenant War as it provided cover to send fleets beyond the fringe and then hide combat losses to stall inconvenient questions by Sangheili military leaders.
Ministry of Fervent Intercession:
Justly famous for the sheer number of Zealots in their ranks, the Ministry of Fervent Intercession was a semi-monastic organization obsessed with the discovery and control of Forerunner sites.
Held in awe by many in the Covenant, these fleets could call upon resources and volunteers directly from the colonies and even other Ministries as a result of their prestige and force of ancient writs dating back to the founding of the alliance. Their fanaticism in defending Forerunner sites made them useful during the war against humanity, though their independent commanders often paid little heed to orders that did not deal directly with the safety of reliquaries.
Ministry of Tranquility:
A Ministry with ambitions that far exceeded its reach, the Ministry of Tranquility worked to extend its influence and power by acquiring Forerunner artifacts and bringing new species into the Covenant, and wasn't picky about how they accomplished their goals.
Caring little for the opinions of even the High Prophets, privateers preying on Covenant artifact depositories were often traced back to the Ministry of Tranquility, and their missionaries were often little more than slavers and raiders. Ministry of Tranquility forces almost never participated in major fleet action during the War, instead swooping in to steal artifacts from human and Covenant forces alike in the chaotic aftermath.

Maybe throw in the Ministry of Preservation that quelled internal conflicts, and the Ministry of Abnegation that had the Ascetic Guards then add in the Rh'tol Skein and the Vheiloth Skein for the Jiralhanae and the Swords of Sanghelios and the Didact's Hand (since Jul's faction doesn't really have an official name yet).  

tl;dr  Take it or leave it these could be pretty cool, I dunno if there's some limitation on text size that'd make this a no go. +its aesthetic change so kinda low on the list.

• Unikraken, MasterBuilderFaber and SiRD31M0S like this

#2 Daringpear

Daringpear

Crewman

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Steam:daringpear

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

So like an advent loyalist/separatist kind of thing?

Planks3.png

#3 Azo 'Salcam

Azo 'Salcam

Crewman

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationLooking for Forerunner artifacts...

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:49 PM

Maybe have them be Fleet names?

Like Covenant group, "Particular Justice" and such?

The Storm

Swords of Sangheilios (if the name will fit)

• Centurian128 and Fleet Admiral agigabyte like this
Spoiler

Spoilered that gif for ya... -Sloose

#4 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • Steam:sird31mos
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

I like that. I like that a lot.

I am a naturally philosophical and industrious evil.

It's all or nothin' baby, it's never ever maybe

You think I might be crazy, but I gotta be ALL IN

Spoiler
Spoiler

#5 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:01 AM

Nice idea.

I was thinking, maybe we can give these names to AI behaviours. Since it appears by reading the traits that Resolution is the trader, Fervent Intercession is the aggressor, Tranquility is the researcher, etc. etc. but that wouldn't work, I don't think it can be spearated from UNSC, and generally I'm not sure how many that play this mod actually choose the AI behaviour.

• MasterBuilderFaber and Riftis like this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users