• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ser_Fergus

Ser_Fergus

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:02 PM

Hey, new to the mod but really enjoying it so far. Loving the sticking to canon, battles can turn on a dime. I'm having some trouble leveraging my apparent advantage lategame as the UNSC to press forward when there are multiple players. Is there a UNSC guide or general tactics I could follow?    

What I've grasped so far is that I need to get a strong industrial complex running to keep the paris-class running to the front, and have my capitals hang back to launch nukes but generally stay away from covenant deathballs (Are the AI programmed to target capital ships by the way? Feels that way). However, by the late game the covenant strong points simply melt my paris class as soon as they arrive at too atrocious a rate for me to be winning against even a few covenant worlds. I have most if not all of the ship upgrades completed in these playthroughs, so I'm assuming it's how I'm using the ships that's incorrect. 

Any tips?

#2 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • Steam:sird31mos
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:02 PM

Are the AI programmed to target capital ships by the way? Feels that way

The AI focuses them down hard. Your ships will do it as well because of how the basic ship AI works, but the player AI will drop everything if you throw a titan in firing range.

What I've grasped so far is that I need to get a strong industrial complex running to keep the paris-class running to the front, and have my capitals hang back to launch nukes but generally stay away from covenant deathballs

You're right in that it's critical to maintain numbers, but generally speaking you benefit from mostly phasing out Paris frigates from your fleet later on. I usually keep 8-10 around for their aoe in my fleet of doom, but I've never actually been able to tell if this even matters. For the most part my fleets are comprised of nearly equal numbers of Halberds and Halcyons, leaning slightly higher on the Halberds. You also shouldn't be shy about getting your capitals in the fray; even apart from Shivas, they're still the powerhouse of your fleet in addition to tanking a huge amount of damage to buy your fleet more time to reload. The goodness only gets better the more you have.

However, by the late game the covenant strong points simply melt my paris class as soon as they arrive at too atrocious a rate for me to be winning against even a few covenant worlds.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I'm going to take this to mean defense structures like Havens and Patrol Stations. The short answer is Infinity. It's the best at destroying structures and absorbing fire. Truth be told, Patrol Stations are the entire reason I use the damn thing.

• Ser_Fergus likes this

I am a naturally philosophical and industrious evil.

It's all or nothin' baby, it's never ever maybe

You think I might be crazy, but I gotta be ALL IN

Spoiler
Spoiler

#3 Ser_Fergus

Ser_Fergus

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

Okay, so mass paris is probably a significant portion of my problem then. I'll report back in a bit. Should I just expect capital losses?

What should I be taking ability wise on the infinity, by the way? 

#4 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

Not always, but expect damage and be ready to replace them. On a brand new Infinity I choose the pinpoint Slipspace jump for shotgunning a target/safely retreating (because of the aforementioned focusing down of capitals and titans), and deploy Stridents for fire support/leaving a combat presence if Infinity has to bug out.

Spoiler
Spoiler

#5 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:57 AM

As a huge Covenant player, I can tell you that whenever I get stomped from a UNSC AI, it happens because of my lack of counter-capital ships. UNSC favors building Caps over cruisers, and as soon as you get to the Autumn you should basically have more Autumns than any other capital ship or cruiser.

The Covenant suffers of alpha damage, so keep that MACs flowing. Best way, as SFIR said, is to rely heavily on Halberds.

Keep a couple of Artemis-es in the rearways, they'll get useful to snipe Patrol Stations when encountered.

Infinity gets the job done too, but let's be realistic, if you get the Infinity out, there's no need for tactics. Keep it alive, pinpoint jump here and there, and victory will be yours.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte and SiRD31M0S like this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#6 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:50 AM

Infinity gets the job done too, but let's be realistic, if you get the Infinity out, there's no need for tactics.

This is kind of painfully accurate. When I'm invading with my entire fleet, I basically let the armada do as it will and focus on managing Infinity. Very rarely I'll issue a move order to avoid enemy reinforcements for as long as possible, or an attack order to focus down an OAS while Infinity is busy, but otherwise they just take care of themselves.

Spoiler
Spoiler

#7 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

Agreed. Occasionally, the AI will field a Super Mega Death Fleet and force you to retreat with the Infinity badly damaged and everything else dead, but that happens almost never.

WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#8 Emperorfluffball

Emperorfluffball

Crewman

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Eridani

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

other thing to remember is that Basic AI will also engage the FIRST ship that enters a system defending so if you are okay with Micro you can send in something like your Infinity with pinpoint jumps to disctract the enemy fleet while Artemis Cruisers engage from afar. 
also Focus Firing Covenant Capitals with a Mass Volley of MACs (especially from Artemis/Orions) will help with Covie Deathballs, Such as the OAS

“Listen to me, Covenant. I am Vice Admiral  Preston J. Cole commanding the human flagship, Everest You claim to be the holy and glorious inheritors of the universe? I spit on your so-called holiness. You dare judge us unfit? After I have personally sent more than three hundred of your vainglorious ships to hell? After kicking your collective butts off Harvest - not once - but twice? From where I sit, we are the worthy inheritors. You think otherwise, you can come and try to prove me wrong. Is that the best you can do? Watch what one unworthy human can do!”

"How do we go?" "WE GO FEET FIRST!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users