• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kit

Kit

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 03:44 PM

Hey everybody. First post here. I tinkered with Sins of the Prophets for a long time now. On some Windows 10 installations the game refused to acknowledge that LAA was enabled for SOASE:R but it was tested to be working with other games. I toiled over the forums and internet for hours trying to get it work, when suddenly I had an epiphany. What if I just remove the flag for the error, since it's an error that the error shows up anyways? Well, that worked. By removing the string ID's for the LAA prompts the game runs smoothly and as bug free as any other Windows 7 installation. If you're not comfortable making these changes yourself (By opening the file with notepad) then I've made a patched copy that you can download here. Hope anyone having issues with SotP on Windows 10 benefit from this!

English.str

Edit: Oh right. The path is C:/Users/(your username)/Documents/My Games/Ironclad Games/Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion/Mods-Rebellion v1.85/SotP Alpha v.0.81.2/String

• Alux likes this

#2 Alux

Alux

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Steam:Alux
  • LocationThe Void between Universes, where the terrible ideas and tortures of the internet are laid to rest.

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

You sir, are a miracle worker.

Have a virtual cookie.

THE HOLY WORD OF CRISISS

I'm not calling you an asshole, I'm just saying that preemptively. 

-Crisiss

Spoiler

#3 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:17 PM

Removing the crash string doesn't change the conditions that cause the crash. Further, that message is not purely related to LAA; in truth it is a general message for whenever the game minidumps and we changed it to mention LAA as 99% of crashes in the public release are related to LAA. Going to change the topic title to avoid people being unintentionally misled.

That being said, as you are having issues with LAA, can you open up LAA, put it into Advanced Mode, and then add in the Sins exes? Check if under "LAA" it says True. If it reads True, then you correctly have enabled LAA, and thus likely have a corrupt download and/or broken installation of Sins proper. If it reads False, then obviously LAA is not properly enabled.

#4 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

You sir, are a miracle worker.

Have a virtual cookie.

This worked for you or are you just replying in hopes it does?

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#5 Alux

Alux

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Steam:Alux
  • LocationThe Void between Universes, where the terrible ideas and tortures of the internet are laid to rest.

Posted 16 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

It worked for my brother and me (but I have no idea about other people).

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

THE HOLY WORD OF CRISISS

I'm not calling you an asshole, I'm just saying that preemptively. 

-Crisiss

Spoiler

#6 Kit

Kit

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:20 AM

Removing the crash string doesn't change the conditions that cause the crash. Further, that message is not purely related to LAA; in truth it is a general message for whenever the game minidumps and we changed it to mention LAA as 99% of crashes in the public release are related to LAA. Going to change the topic title to avoid people being unintentionally misled.

That being said, as you are having issues with LAA, can you open up LAA, put it into Advanced Mode, and then add in the Sins exes? Check if under "LAA" it says True. If it reads True, then you correctly have enabled LAA, and thus likely have a corrupt download and/or broken installation of Sins proper. If it reads False, then obviously LAA is not properly enabled.

Nope. As I said, I tried everything for hours. All that you described and more. None of it worked. Another mod requiring LAA worked when it was active. SotP did not. So I tinkered with some things and got it to work. I'm aware that it's just the strings associated with the exception handle and wouldn't mess with the conditions for the error, but it's working for me, and apparently other people too. Maybe something to consider or look into for the next update :)

It should also be noted that with this patch applied, a friend of mine tried to play SotP but forgot to activate LAA, which threw up the error again, only this time the message showed missing string ID of course. So yes the error still throws because those strings aren't associated with a specific error, but when LAA is enabled, and my patch is installed, the game runs smoothly. That much cannot be denied.

Kit: 1

Windows 10: 0

#7 Lavo

Lavo

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

That's a very nice way of avoiding to check if LAA is enabled or not. You can remove that error, you might even magically remove a start up crash, however you will not stop the 2 GB RAM limit crash, which is what LAA prevents. If you want to pull wool over your eyes and ignore reality when we try and help you properly fix your installation, by all means.

Not activating LAA doesn't cause Sins to crash immediately. It never has; that isn't what LAA is there to prevent. Now you're saying that LAA is properly enabled, which is shifting the goal posts from how you started this thread, where it was mentioned that "the game refused to acknowledge that LAA was enabled" which indicates that LAA either was not applied or something is terribly wrong. Of course properly enabling LAA would make Sins stable, that's the whole point of using it.

#8 Kit

Kit

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:57 AM

That's a very nice way of avoiding to check if LAA is enabled or not. You can remove that error, you might even magically remove a start up crash, however you will not stop the 2 GB RAM limit crash, which is what LAA prevents. If you want to pull wool over your eyes and ignore reality when we try and help you properly fix your installation, by all means.

Not activating LAA doesn't cause Sins to crash immediately. It never has; that isn't what LAA is there to prevent. Now you're saying that LAA is properly enabled, which is shifting the goal posts from how you started this thread, where it was mentioned that "the game refused to acknowledge that LAA was enabled" which indicates that LAA either was not applied or something is terribly wrong. Of course properly enabling LAA would make Sins stable, that's the whole point of using it.

Please stop trying to talk down to me.

"the game refused to acknowledge that LAA was enabled" Implies that LAA is enabled. My problem was that the mod crashed whenever I tried to run SotP, and LAA was always on. I tested with it off, on, backwards, upside down. You name it. The only way I got the mod to work was with LAA on and those 4 lines of code deleted.

To you, it probably doesn't make any sense. To me, it doesn't make any sense. But it works. I can send you crash dumps if you want to do a PROPER patch, but other than that, this works for Win 10 users.

I never shifted my standpoint. No evildoing is going on here. Just a friendly guy who likes your mod and wants more people to be able to play it.

#9 Lavo

Lavo

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Now that you've explained it a bit more, this makes more sense. Odds are you have a corrupted string file or something of that sort and that your editting fixed it. I'd recommend trying a clean re-extraction in that case, or failing that, re-downloading. I'll note that we tested this build of the mod on Windows 10 before and after uploading, to ensure there are no OS compatibility issues. Unfortunately corrupted downloads is not an uncommon occurance on ModDB.

#10 SmokeTinyTom

SmokeTinyTom

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

open up LAA, put it into Advanced Mode, and then add in the Sins exes?

I'm an idiot when it comes to LAA... Could you make a step by step on what to do in advanced mode?

Cheers,

SmokeTinyTom

Side Note to the one who is called "Kit": Tried you 'fix' and my game refused to load up properly, I replace the string back to the original and BOOM it works great, until it crashes for another reason.

#11 Lavo

Lavo

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

With the LAA program open, click on "Mode" and then hit "Advanced".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users