#21 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:07 AM

Q:

How will UNSC hero type vessels compensate for being killed so quickly? Seeing as SOTP has a fast style gameplay, surely if the hero type ships take X1.25 (just throwing out a random firgure) longer to build, but get killed in 3 seconds then they're never going to be used by me, as it's almost impossible for me to build ships at a rate that matches the cov player on even a 1:1 level, yet alone accounting for faster expansion of colonisation that cov can do.

For example I never build marathon class cruisers, they die too quickly, and every time you build one you end up having to manage the abilities. It works fine for an AI, as they can do multiple shit at once.

I'm sorry if this was answered in the steam chat.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#22 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:09 AM

I think STA3 did hero units quite well, but battles can last up to half an hour if you keep throwing in reinforcements, and ships don't exactly die quickly.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#23 SiRD31M0S

SiRD31M0S

Forum Jester

• Authorized Playtester
  • 859 posts
  • Steam:sird31mos
  • LocationThe infinitesimal space between thoughts, on the cusp of uncountable instances of possibility.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:31 AM

I will add the caveat that we're currently designing the system that will bring you the hero ships, so we're not super privvy to discuss the mechanics used.

Sounds like they're going for something more inspired than a build menu there, Spectre.

I am a naturally philosophical and industrious evil.

It's all or nothin' baby, it's never ever maybe

You think I might be crazy, but I gotta be ALL IN

Spoiler
Spoiler

#24 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:24 AM

Sook, I meant the original Phoenix. The placeholder model from the early releases.

Also, something with the Noryang model.
  • Sookendestroy1 likes this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#25 Sookendestroy1

Sookendestroy1

3D Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 11:38 AM

Q:

How will UNSC hero type vessels compensate for being killed so quickly? Seeing as SOTP has a fast style gameplay, surely if the hero type ships take X1.25 (just throwing out a random firgure) longer to build, but get killed in 3 seconds then they're never going to be used by me, as it's almost impossible for me to build ships at a rate that matches the cov player on even a 1:1 level, yet alone accounting for faster expansion of colonisation that cov can do.

For example I never build marathon class cruisers, they die too quickly, and every time you build one you end up having to manage the abilities. It works fine for an AI, as they can do multiple shit at once.

I'm sorry if this was answered in the steam chat.

I believe we may be able to address this issue, I am not part of balance but I believe the hero ships, especially certain ones will be decently durable.

Sook, I meant the original Phoenix. The placeholder model from the early releases.

Also, something with the Noryang model.

Do you mean the Athens? cause that is a completely different ship, unless im missing something of course, and the Noryang is a pretty good suggestion, adding that to consideration.

• SPECTRE likes this

87598435209fc7b5d06a99b124fd8a27.png

#26 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:08 PM

The hero system we're intending to create will be mostly random from the perspective of the user. You'll have a station you start the game with. It will may do other things, but will also allow for notable ships from the lore to arrive in your system under your control at semi-random intervals. They'll be stronger than their normal counterparts, but will not individually turn the tide of battles. They will die in an appropriately quick manner. You will eventually lose your Pillar of Autumn should she show up. Your Spirit of Fire will eventually be overwhelmed by enemy fire. They will explode. Their hulks will float through the void of space as the universe is indifferent to their passing.

A major theme in Halo is sacrifice for the greater good. A common theme is apparent useless death. Use your heroes wisely to ensure they are the former.

• 베이클라이트 and SPECTRE like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#27 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

The hero system we're intending to create will be mostly random from the perspective of the user. You'll have a station you start the game with. It will may do other things, but will also allow for notable ships from the lore to arrive in your system under your control at semi-random intervals. They'll be stronger than their normal counterparts, but will not individually turn the tide of battles. They will die in an appropriately quick manner. You will eventually lose your Pillar of Autumn should she show up. Your Spirit of Fire will eventually be overwhelmed by enemy fire. They will explode. Their hulks will float through the void of space as the universe is indifferent to their passing.

A major theme in Halo is sacrifice for the greater good. A common theme is apparent useless death. Use your heroes wisely to ensure they are the former.

Hearing cool yo, so respawn? no respawn?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#28 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Hearing cool yo, so respawn? no respawn?

They will not specifically respawn.

#29 베이클라이트

베이클라이트

SPARTAN-I

• Contributor
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:59 PM

They will not specifically respawn.

Would sure be awkward to send the pillar of autumm into its death just to get a new one after some time.

YmSsY2C.png

#30 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

Do you mean the Athens? cause that is a completely different ship, unless im missing something of course[/quote]

http://www.moddb.com...ngame1#imagebox

Gaze upon it and scream. (Tbh not super bad model wise but still rather mediocre)

Also, maybe something using the Mako? Or Athens? Or Thermop- oh wait no that was shot down. Uh... maybe Regret's ship can be a CAS-sized OAS with a different texture and less health and shields 'n shit?

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#31 Sookendestroy1

Sookendestroy1

3D Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:11 PM

My Eyes! I think the current model would suffice, Innie/Pre-War/Old ship classes arent the most likely to appear as a hero ship, unless theres a significant reason for them to. Though all your suggestions of having these old ships as heros has made me go and do a thing! A non hero related thing, but a thing lol

#32 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:50 PM

Ships that will be hero ships are going to be ships that would actually be able to withstand a little punishment. You're not going to get a pre-mac destroyer or anything like that. That would be an incredibly stupid waste of our time.

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this

#33 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:10 PM

Midsummer Night or something similar?
  • SPECTRE likes this

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#34 Sookendestroy1

Sookendestroy1

3D Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

On the Facebook page someone suggested the Port Stanley, thats an interesting idea for a post war ship in my opinion.

#35 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:09 AM

On the Facebook page someone suggested the Port Stanley, thats an interesting idea for a post war ship in my opinion.

yet another hip i will never use because it requires too much micro management.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#36 Sookendestroy1

Sookendestroy1

3D Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

yet another hip i will never use because it requires too much micro management.

Well the Oni ships along with things like the marathon really shine during long multiplayer games, the marathon is good for doing sprints back and forth reinforcing positions as battlemage pointed out wonderfully, the Sahara is great for giving you an edge by reducing the enemies economy and logistical capabilities while laying traps to weaken forces before engagements. Certain Hero ships will most likely be similar to this though not all, for example I believe we were concepting the Autumn as a ship that could participate in a battle deal some damage, take some damage, and have the capabilities to escape from the engagement if you pay close enough attention to it.

#37 USMC_Motard

USMC_Motard

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

Maybe a split hero system. One part consisting of hero's of lore and their corresponding ships and another part consisting of fictional hero's and a randomly generated buffed ship. Thus allowing for common hero ships and rare hero ships.

• 베이클라이트 likes this

#38 USMC_Motard

USMC_Motard

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 22 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

You could theoretically create a array of names and match them to corresponding ships that are buffed accordingly. Mixing these in with the less common hero's of lore and their corresponding ships would allow for a more diverse base for the hero system.

• 베이클라이트 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users