• Create Account

Photo

Anyway we could get the SotP soundtrack in a mp3 format?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

I already have a program that can convert the music files into MP3s, but I haven't bothered since I'm not sure the devs are cool with it.

If not, a MP3 version of the soundtrack would be great. I'd even be willing to pay for it. Waseem did a fine job.
"For Melisandre's vagina is dark and full of terror. Trust me, I know."

#2 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

Id be willing to bet waseemalready has mp3 files of his music, or a file type that can be easily converted to mp3

I will say this though, the music is fantastic background music, its not the best music for just listening to. This is not in any way waseems fault, this is just how most ambient music is. That being said, id buy it

#3 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Honestly, I'd be happy with just the MP3 versions of the UNSC battle themes. Those were amazing.

#4 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

The sentiment is nice, but just to be clear we cannot profit in any way from this mod, that includes selling the music created for it. We can only, at the most, accept donations, according to our license terms.

#5 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

The sentiment is nice, but just to be clear we cannot profit in any way from this mod, that includes selling the music created for it. We can only, at the most, accept donations, according to our license terms.

Wait, wasn't Waseem going to sell the soundtrack afterwards? Since it's not in any way Microsoft IP? I know I remember reading that somewhere...
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#6 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Wait, wasn't Waseem going to sell the soundtrack afterwards? Since it's not in any way Microsoft IP? I know I remember reading that somewhere...

It was said in that news piece about the soundtrack on ModDB. I PM'd Canadaman and explained the legal issues, he said he'd explain. Anything included in the mod becomes Microsoft's intellectual property.

#7 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

It was said in that news piece about the soundtrack on ModDB. I PM'd Canadaman and explained the legal issues, he said he'd explain. Anything included in the mod becomes Microsoft's intellectual property.

Very well. I bow to the superior knowledge of the SOTP Legal department
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#8 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

That's a shame. Would it be alright for me to convert the music files on my own then? If not, it's totally fine.

#9 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Well, maybe 343/Microsoft will hire you guys for a SOTP2 when the mod is finished, because your work is in my eyes really profesionell and just fantastic.

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#10 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Well it beats the only official Halo strategy game...
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#11 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

Well it beats the only official Halo strategy game...

In Halo Wars' defense, ensemble was being raped by microsoft at the time of development, and wasnt recieving enough funding to make as good of a game as it was supposed to be. That being said, we ARE doing a great job according to many people on Moddb

#12 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

But still, i find Halo Wars is still great and i really enjoyed it, even it was only a normal rts with no spaceships.
(i really enjoyed it to make a scarab rush after 8min muhaha(only possible on the flood map with the forrunner reactor))

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#13 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

That's a shame. Would it be alright for me to convert the music files on my own then? If not, it's totally fine.

Every asset we make for the mod is supposed to be shared freely, it's yet another license term. I don't know if waseem agreed to help us with full knowledge of the license terms, so there's always the possibility that he won't be happy that you're doing things without his consent, but his consent isn't a legal necessity. He probably won't care, but it's in your hands.

#14 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

Every asset we make for the mod is supposed to be shared freely, it's yet another license term. I don't know if waseem agreed to help us with full knowledge of the license terms, so there's always the possibility that he won't be happy that you're doing things without his consent, but his consent isn't a legal necessity. He probably won't care, but it's in your hands.

considering this, you should at least ask him if its ok, just to be polite

#15 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

But still, i find Halo Wars is still great and i really enjoyed it, even it was only a normal rts with no spaceships.
(i really enjoyed it to make a scarab rush after 8min muhaha(only possible on the flood map with the forrunner reactor))

I enjoy playing it and I guess I should have been more specific... it should have been made available on PC.
  • Defender0 likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#16 MasterOfShips

MasterOfShips

MasterOfPENIS

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

considering this, you should at least ask him if its ok, just to be polite

Yeah that's not a bad idea. I'll be sure to ask him thanks.
  • Defender0 likes this

#17 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Actually I think he would very much appreciate it if you'd inform him about this, he seemed to care a lot at the times I spoke with him about releasing the OST.

Also Ember, you have me intrigued. What exactly are the full license terms? I did read them, but I don't particularly recall that if you make a mod you'll have to share all resources and more importantly that Microsoft becomes the owner of all assets involved (like they don't own enough already). Now I may have misinterpreted this, since English is not my native language (which may also be the reason I did not identify the points you mentioned in the license agreement). So I would very much appreciate it if you could enlighten me (and perhaps others).

And let's not forget to mention that I too would love to see the OST in MP3 or Wav format :P

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#18 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Actually I think he would very much appreciate it if you'd inform him about this, he seemed to care a lot at the times I spoke with him about releasing the OST.

Also Ember, you have me intrigued. What exactly are the full license terms? I did read them, but I don't particularly recall that if you make a mod you'll have to share all resources and more importantly that Microsoft becomes the owner of all assets involved (like they don't own enough already). Now I may have misinterpreted this, since English is not my native language (which may also be the reason I did not identify the points you mentioned in the license agreement). So I would very much appreciate it if you could enlighten me (and perhaps others).

And let's not forget to mention that I too would love to see the OST in MP3 or Wav format :P

I have to say that I would never have thought that you weren't a native English speaker.

I told Canadaman about the issue a long time ago, I was under the impression that waseem already understood that he couldn't sell the tracks and include them in the mod; rather he would have to choose one or the other. Ideally he would've been informed of this before ever helping us, but I had yet to join the team and none of us were intimately familiar with the license terms. They have also been altered in the past.

I'd be happy to explain. First, here's the link for reference: http://www.xbox.com/...developer/rules

This is the term that states that your 'Items' (whatever you make that is based off of Microsoft's intellectual property, or a component of something based off of Microsoft's intellectual property) are basically Microsoft's intellectual property upon distribution: "Distribution of your Item in any form constitutes a grant by you of a royalty-free, non-exclusive, irrevocable, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide, license to Microsoft and any of Microsoft's partners or users to use, modify and distribute that Item (and derivatives of that Item), and use your name if we choose to, for any purpose and without obligation to pay you anything, obtain your approval, or give you credit."

Now I can't say certainly that it is Microsoft's intellectual property once the Item is distributed, but it effectively is, because you're granting to Microsoft, its partners, and its users, every conceivable right that intellectual property ownership grants you under law. Preventing Microsoft, its users, or its partners from using, modifying or distrbuting that Item would be a violation of the license terms.
  • DGaius likes this

#19 DGaius

DGaius

Mecha Man!!

• Mod Staff
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thank you Ember, for the explanation. It has been a while since I read the terms and it seems I certainly missed this particular part the first time. I have to be honest, it doesn't surprise me as with most licenses these days you never really gain something (relatively speaking of course, I value the idea of 'a creator is the owner of his creation' when it comes to creative work/original content. Which in this example works both ways).

Also, on topic: perhaps Waseem himself could elaborate on his plans for the OST here?

Covenant at War Dev and Sins of the Prophets SFX Guy   ---  soundcloud.com/dgaius

#20 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Here's what I don't get. If we get permission from Metalica to use their music in our mod...It doesn't suddenly become Microsoft's music. Waseem is giving us permission to use music he's producing.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users