Multiple Titan Types

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Now that it was confirmed by sloose I am curious about the possibilty of creating different types of titans for the individual races. Like one titan that exccels in support and abilities, while one has front line combat, and another which is tank. Is it even possible though? Because if Sloose may decide to increase the number of titans allowed perhaps giving some variety would be warranted? Even though in the halo universe only two ships ever really qualified as possible titan candidates ( infinity and the CAS ) I'm pretty sure making additional titan class ships won't too much of a longshot since I am sure humanity would be much more bolder with the success of the infinity and start to build additional ships (while not quite as large) almost as big as it. 

It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#2 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Um... why bother? it would take time and effort to get the models and textures, and then picking a ship in canon for that role.  There are far bigger priorities, such as the ORIGINAL titans.

#3 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

This would bring little to no benefit for the mod as a whole, a nice waste of time.

• Defender0 likes this

#4 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Um... why bother? it would take time and effort to get the models and textures, and then picking a ship in canon for that role.  There are far bigger priorities, such as the ORIGINAL titans.

Defender, I get that you are the guy who has to be critical of any idea other than your own but for once I am asking for you bear with me. This would be an idea to implemented later on. 

This would bring little to no benefit for the mod as a whole, a nice waste of time.

It could bring a bit of variance rather than everyone rushing to a single titan, giving them a choice. 

#5 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

Defender, I get that you are the guy who has to be critical of any idea other than your own but for once I am asking for you bear with me. This would be an idea to implemented later on. 

Ok, how about this: think about how long it takes for annihilator/zero to texture a ship. Thats just the texturing. Do you really think it is worth wasting that kind of time, period?

Im not being critical of an idea, im being realistic about an idea that is several months to over a year away from consideration.

#6 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Honestly, why do people complain about how long it takes Zero/Annihilater102 to texture? The effort that goes into texturing far exceeds any other aspect of modding, that includes modelling, coding, etc. The amoint of effort that it takes to get the textures to look as good as they do I enormous, unless you're willing to give it a go just wait for them to finish.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#7 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

Honestly, why do people complain about how long it takes Zero/Annihilater102 to texture?

I have no complaints for how long it takes to create a quality model or get a good texture for a ship, however, there are priorities for what needs to be modeled and textured, and right now, even the infinity is low priority for the UNSC since they currently dont have structures. My statement is a matter of what should be focused on, and new titans that dont even have a place right now are not what we should be focusing on.

#8 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Now that it was confirmed by sloose I am curious about the possibilty of creating different types of titans for the individual races. Like one titan that exccels in support and abilities, while one has front line combat, and another which is tank. Is it even possible though? Because if Sloose may decide to increase the number of titans allowed perhaps giving some variety would be warranted? Even though in the halo universe only two ships ever really qualified as possible titan candidates ( infinity and the CAS ) I'm pretty sure making additional titan class ships won't too much of a longshot since I am sure humanity would be much more bolder with the success of the infinity and start to build additional ships (while not quite as large) almost as big as it. 

Spoiler

• Defender0 likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#9 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have no complaints for how long it takes to create a quality model or get a good texture for a ship, however, there are priorities for what needs to be modeled and textured, and right now, even the infinity is low priority for the UNSC since they currently dont have structures. My statement is a matter of what should be focused on, and new titans that dont even have a place right now are not what we should be focusing on.

Swear, we've got an infinity model don't we?

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#10 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Swear, we've got an infinity model don't we?

the only infinity model i know of is one that TheDidact made, and it was far too high a poly count to work in sins (aka, the game would crash)

#11 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

Because if Sloose may decide to increase the number of titans allowed

It must be said that this isn't possible without throwing out the regular Titan build system, which isn't worth it unless you need to do so. As in, this in and of itself is a bad idea.

• Defender0 likes this

#12 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

the only infinity model i know of is one that TheDidact made, and it was far too high a poly count to work in sins (aka, the game would crash)

Didact did a lower poly one didn't he? Or are we not using that anymore?

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#13 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

Didact did a lower poly one didn't he? Or are we not using that anymore?

honestly, i have no idea

#14 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

It must be said that this isn't possible without throwing out the regular Titan build system, which isn't worth it unless you need to do so. As in, this in and of itself is a bad idea.

Right. Which is why that itself is still being debated...

The only way we'll have multiple Titan types is if:
1: 343i creates one in the series, and it plays a major role
2: We decide the inconvenience of having multiple Titans is worth it
3: there is a way to implement it without breaking the game
4: a model for it is readily available, or we have all the models done without any additional work needed (by models I mean models and textures)
  • Defender0 and SternuS like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#15 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

Honestly if we want to keep this game a little canon-ish, more than one Titan would be wrong. The UNSC has none other than the Infinity, the Covenant has the plot device which is already discarded and the Forerunners...well, they have quite a lot of big ships, but as you know they don't need multiple Titans.

Also, I think that number 2 and number 3 of your list, sloose, are wrong, because I don't think you would decide to implement them or not before knowing if it is possible or not; if it is possible to implement it, then you'll decide if it is worth the effort.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#16 spartan-G257

spartan-G257

Gamma Company Recruit

• Contributor
  • 234 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

the forerunner capital ships would be titan killers through and through... I don't think i want to know what the Forerunner titans would be like.

the only ones i cold think of them having anyway would be a living ship sorta and a fortress class ship... but at 50KM long (if not 100KM long) it would break the game.

UNSC been beating the covies since 2525
Closed Beta Testing HHF
Hail the Commonwealth of Nations and long live the Queen
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

The Mantles Approach and Forerunner Council ships would be prime candidates for the Titan spot.
  • XtremeRoflcopter likes this

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#18 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

Honestly if we want to keep this game a little canon-ish, more than one Titan would be wrong. The UNSC has none other than the Infinity, the Covenant has the CSO which is already discarded and the Forerunners...well, they have quite a lot of big ships, but as you know they don't need multiple Titans.

Also, I think that number 2 and number 3 of your list, sloose, are wrong, because I don't think you would decide to implement them or not before knowing if it is possible or not; if it is possible to implement it, then you'll decide if it is worth the effort.

Lol... True. The list was not intended as a chronological list though... They're all requirements to be completed, not necessarily in order
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#19 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

The Mantles Approach and Forerunner Council ships would be prime candidates for the Titan spot.

I know its a far ways away but a thought for a possible ability for the mantles approach would be using the composer on a enemy planet causing an increase damage in bombardment. OR, whenever the titan is bombarding the planet make the composer a passive ability (kinda like how it just naturally bombards planets faster) 

#20 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Yet, unfortunately, Mantle's Approach was created/revealed and destroyed in a single game, which, somehow, doomed its appearence in SotP. Because it is set after the events of Halo 4, and this ship was destroyed during the events of Halo 4.

Lol... True. The list was not intended as a chronological list though... They're all requirements to be completed, not necessarily in order

Yeah I kinda figured it out. But you know how punctilious is a Vulcan, don't you?

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users