• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 FrostWyrmWraith

FrostWyrmWraith

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

Apparently the AI is too stupid to build capital ships on normal. I played a match and checked their stats at the end...never had more than three at one time.

#22 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

Apparently the AI is too stupid to build capital ships on normal. I played a match and checked their stats at the end...never had more than three at one time.

One game does not make a case. We've never heard of this before. The AI's behavior can be affected by a lot of things. What map was this on? 

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#23 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 25 December 2013 - 08:55 PM

The AI, at least on breaking point, has taught me to expand toward the star like a madman, and if that fails, shew em off with some Orion's/Salvation's depending on the faction.

• D4RKST0RM99 likes this

#24 FrostWyrmWraith

FrostWyrmWraith

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

Hey, I'm not complaining. I still had fun. It was on the Reach map though. Curbstomping enemies makes me giggle though so I was happy xp

#25 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

That three Covenant heroic AIs curbstomp 4 UNSC ones without my intervention.

#26 Kevik70

Kevik70

The Infinity Idea Guy

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • LocationFolor Base

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

One game does not make a case. We've never heard of this before. The AI's behavior can be affected by a lot of things. What map was this on? 

My current game vs the covenant, they have only had 3 capital ships in the field at once as well, playing on normal

#27 HolyMith

HolyMith

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAbove the Damoclean Sword

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

To bomb planets, I have to individually select every Charon and tell it to bombard.

Pious-Class can't capture resource asteroids.

Micromanage the shit out of your UNSC fleet as soon as you jump into a system (impossible with larger fleets), or you will generally let your all-important MAC volley get sponged by Pickets and such.

Leave Flood worlds ALONE till very late game, when you have practically won.

Forerunner fleets that inhabit wormhole ain't as tough as they look.

If you see the MoI, you run. You run your ass off.

Orbital mines are your friend.

Never rely on an easy-difficulty ally to hold for any time against a normal or hard enemy. They crumble very quickly and very very quickly, respectively.

Send in a dummy fleet to soak up the UNSC's phase 1, then move in with the heavies before the MACs have cooled down.

#28 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

To bomb planets, I have to individually select every Charon and tell it to bombard.

If you alt-click a unit or its icon in the Empire Tree then it will select all units of that type within the gravity well. You can shift-click to select multiple units consecutively. You should alt-click your Charons.

• Moustachio86 and HolyMith like this

#29 firewarrior1705

firewarrior1705

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

@Emberblaque: unfortunatelly that's not going to help, I've tried this too, when they are in groups Charons don't seem to be able to attack planets when you order them to, the move arrow just stays green and doesn't change to red like it does when issuing a normal attack order.

What I've seen however is that if yu order them to move close to the enemy planet, they'll start attacking it automatically.

Now, back to topic:

- SMACs and mines are a match made in heaven. Max out these in a planet's gravity well and that planet will be as unaproachable to the Covenant as I was to girls in highschool :P. Mines are devastating even in small numbers against large groups of enemy ships. Last night I was able to destroy a fleet of 100+ enemy ships with just the SMACs and mines (both maxed out in terms of numbers in the planet's gravity well)

- Autum class is very useful. I mean VERY. I used the Spartan commandos to capture a number of Forerunner sentinels lying around a few wormholes and gas giants

and those ships are VERY kickass, definitely worth the investment

- When defending always order your ships either to hold position or to attack only in their vecinity (local). Preferably keep them behind SMACs or other structures so that the enemy will have to take out these before reaching your fleet, while you pummel him with Archers, MACs and Shivas.

- It's a good ideea to train your capital ships to level 3 or 4 (when you have the research done) and take at least one Shiva upgrade for those that are Shiva capable

Axios!

#30 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

@Emberblaque: unfortunatelly that's not going to help, I've tried this too, when they are in groups Charons don't seem to be able to attack planets when you order them to, the move arrow just stays green and doesn't change to red like it does when issuing a normal attack order.

What I've seen however is that if yu order them to move close to the enemy planet, they'll start attacking it automatically.

Now, back to topic:

- SMACs and mines are a match made in heaven. Max out these in a planet's gravity well and that planet will be as unaproachable to the Covenant as I was to girls in highschool :P. Mines are devastating even in small numbers against large groups of enemy ships. Last night I was able to destroy a fleet of 100+ enemy ships with just the SMACs and mines (both maxed out in terms of numbers in the planet's gravity well)

- Autum class is very useful. I mean VERY. I used the Spartan commandos to capture a number of Forerunner sentinels lying around a few wormholes and gas giants

and those ships are VERY kickass, definitely worth the investment

- When defending always order your ships either to hold position or to attack only in their vecinity (local). Preferably keep them behind SMACs or other structures so that the enemy will have to take out these before reaching your fleet, while you pummel him with Archers, MACs and Shivas.

- It's a good ideea to train your capital ships to level 3 or 4 (when you have the research done) and take at least one Shiva upgrade for those that are Shiva capable

I tried the Autumn move back in Entrenchement once- had 7 of those cruisers sent into a gas giant grav well, turned off the auto attack and started capturing them, turning off the weapons ensures you don't damge or destroy any plus the Autumns are tough enough to not suffer too much damage when done.

#31 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

I don't know, it worked for me last time I played. Maybe you're selecting Parises or something.

#32 firewarrior1705

firewarrior1705

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBucharest, Romania

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

I'll try again later today and let you know.

Later edit: yes, it seems to be working for me now as well, don't know why it didn't the first time

Axios!

#33 Spartan-117

Spartan-117

Jon

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Wall knowing nothing - AKA England.

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

Never rely on mac cannons for defense against the flood.

• Unikraken likes this

#34 wickedwilliam

wickedwilliam

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

- Don't leave the AI to try to take out the Mother Of Invention 

- You're never safe

- Your fleet is never big enough 

- SMAC's don't like plasma

#35 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

- Don't leave the AI to try to take out the Mother Of Invention 

- You're never safe

- Your fleet is never big enough 

- SMAC's don't like plasma

MoI has been nerfed in 0.55.41800, you need to update your game. http://www.moddb.com...alpha-v05441800

• wickedwilliam likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#36 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

The AI can be abused to absurd degrees regardless of what mod it is.

#37 wickedwilliam

wickedwilliam

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

MoI has been nerfed in 0.55.41800, you need to update your game. http://www.moddb.com...alpha-v05441800

Been meaning to do that, kind of like having a god ship roaming around though. 

#38 Mrripley9

Mrripley9

Chief Petty Officer

• Authorized Playtester
  • 569 posts
  • Steam:The Rip-meister
  • LocationReach :P

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

Never spare anyone, not even your teammate. I was playing today. In fact, I just got finished with the game. I lost because I spared him. He declared war on me, he sent all he had and I annihilated him. He did a lot worse than I did while we were fighting the enemy. He didn't have nearly enough ships to take out my massive fleet. I actually sent a small group of CCS to his Capital world. I destroyed his starbase and two of his propaganda arrays and left. I wanted to see if he could put up another fight. An hour later, after defeated a couple of minute fleets of his, a HUGE one came in. We fought and I one, barely. I had but a few ships left. I rebuilt and even built an Ultimate destroyer and the Super Carrier. He came again with roughly the same size fleet, I took him out again. I wish I would've played smarter and didn't wait to kill him. He spammed SES frigates(the ones with the fighters). The dude had probably a hundred of them things and he just wrecked my main world. 

“Usually, the good Lord works in mysterious ways. But not today! This here is 66 tons of straight-up, H.E-spewing dee-vine intervention! If God is love, then you can call me 'Cupid'!”

76561198099678337.png

#39 Spartan-117

Spartan-117

Jon

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Wall knowing nothing - AKA England.

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:56 AM

Pious-Class can't capture resource asteroids.

Micromanage the shit out of your UNSC fleet as soon as you jump into a system (impossible with larger fleets), or you will generally let your all-important MAC volley get sponged by Pickets and such.

Leave Flood worlds ALONE till very late game, when you have practically won.

Forerunner fleets that inhabit wormhole ain't as tough as they look.

If you see the MoI, you run. You run your ass off.

Orbital mines are your friend.

Never rely on an easy-difficulty ally to hold for any time against a normal or hard enemy. They crumble very quickly and very very quickly, respectively.

Send in a dummy fleet to soak up the UNSC's phase 1, then move in with the heavies before the MACs have cooled down.

I may just be baing a dumbass here but... Mol?

#40 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

Mother Of Invention. So a little bit.

• Unikraken likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users