A compromise/solution to balancing the Flood

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

Petty Officer Second Class

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Alright I know what people think after the reading the title but just hear me out on this. I came up with an idea on how to balance the flood while at the same time keeping them the same level of super scary they are right now. 

Since Flood use strikecraft to infect ships, perhaps everytime a ship is infected the strikecraft squadron who infected the ship is destroyed, and the respawn time for strike craft is also increased. This limits the mass waves of flood infecting strikecraft a bit while keeping the viability the same. This way the flood will still infect your stuff just as easily but it will take more time for the flood to marshall another wave of strike craft. This allows for AA fire to hopefully remove any excess strikecraft and frigates/destroyers/cruisers etc... to clean up the bigger ships. 

I am trying to get a general consensus from both the public and devs so I want to see what you guys think on this idea alone as a compromise. 

• Commander Jbug likes this
It's easier to work on a map if a lot of Rum is involved...

#2 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, this is definitely an issue with defending things such as SMACS from lone invasions. My sabres manage to take out the flood spore then another one is instantly there, normally on the other side of the gravity well. A little cooldown would probably be of benefit. 

#3 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

If the current method and this idea has merits perhaps a secondary option for the activate/deactivate flood button so we can let the player choose how dangerous the flood should be.

#4 Normon

Normon

High Commander of the Fleet of Unholy Fire

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts
  • LocationThe cartographer.

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

It's funny that you say this, but from a developers point of view, and being a tad more nitpicky on being canon, I think the Flood are underpowered right now, not a huge amount, but a little bit.

• Defender0 likes this
Signature? Quotes? Images? Nonsense! Actually, cool quotes are cool. - Me
Primus successus aut totus error. - EOD

#5 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

It's funny that you say this, but from a developers point of view, and being a tad more nitpicky on being canon, I think the Flood are underpowered right now, not a huge amount, but a little bit.

*Gulp*

• Moustachio86 likes this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#6 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:17 AM

Alright I know what people think after the reading the title but just hear me out on this. I came up with an idea on how to balance the flood while at the same time keeping them the same level of super scary they are right now. 

Since Flood use strikecraft to infect ships, perhaps everytime a ship is infected the strikecraft squadron who infected the ship is destroyed, and the respawn time for strike craft is also increased. This limits the mass waves of flood infecting strikecraft a bit while keeping the viability the same. This way the flood will still infect your stuff just as easily but it will take more time for the flood to marshall another wave of strike craft. This allows for AA fire to hopefully remove any excess strikecraft and frigates/destroyers/cruisers etc... to clean up the bigger ships. 

I am trying to get a general consensus from both the public and devs so I want to see what you guys think on this idea alone as a compromise. 

The spores are exactly the way they're meant to be, unrelenting. Loads of Sabres are very effective against them.

• Dianno5741 likes this
"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#7 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

The spores are exactly the way they're meant to be, unrelenting. Loads of Sabres are very effective against them.

longswords work too, the best defensive fleet ive built to defend against the flood is a fleet of makos and eions filled with longsword interceptors

#8 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWorking the till at the Bank of Rofl handing out loans to all the noobs.

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

i'm just trying to appease the public players. I get that the devs are iffy about nerfing the flood, but the public really wants it so this was meant to be a compromise. 

#9 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

i'm just trying to appease the public players. I get that the devs are iffy about nerfing the flood, but the public really wants it so this was meant to be a compromise. 

A mod ain't a democracy. If they aren't satisfied then they can just turn the flood off.

• Bornstellaris and Dianno5741 like this

#10 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

That's a little cold don't you think? I'm sure people want the flood, just they are far to difficult for the casual player as they are. 

#11 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Well it's learn or die. That's the design of the flood and it's staying that way. There is no room for compromise here.

• Bornstellaris and Dianno5741 like this

#12 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:47 AM

Rovert, I see your point, but the mod is being made the for the public. So we need to be mindful of what they want to see in the mod too. The devs have spent a lot of time working on the flood and they are so under used that really it's not giving recognition to their hard work. 

#13 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:50 AM

To put it better, it's like finally getting good enough to beat the next level of difficulty for the AI, it's awesome. You wouldn't ask a developer to nerf a hard AI just so you can beat it like normal would you?

• Dianno5741 and ShadowOfIntent like this
"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#14 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

You are not supposed to fight the Flood the same way as other factions.  The Flood are there to force you to think twice, change your paces, switch your tactics and so forth.  They are of a different kind of threat, and must be dealt with differently.

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#15 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

The flood is a last stand mode. Quite frankly the point isnt necessarily to beat the flood but to hold out as long as you can and see if you can hold out longer next time. If we make it easier so everyone could do it then where is the replay value? Games are played to master and as long as a player can learn and get better hell keep playing until he beats it. If he can beat it in 5 seconds then hell stop playing because there is no challenge.

• Bornstellaris likes this

bDNWw7L.png

#16 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:39 PM

I think at the moment there is still a balancing issue with the UNSC and cov. You should deal with the flood later, they're good they go.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#17 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

I think at the moment there is still a balancing issue with the UNSC and cov. You should deal with the flood later, they're good they go.

Sorry, but NOPE. i stayed up late nights when i was helping with the balance testing, and i can assure you, there is no need for a rebalance.

#18 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

We all as devs and playtesters worked very hard to valence this mod. SPECTRE if you have an issue with the balance let us know however I can tell you that their is a high possibility that we will not agree. This isn't because we don't value your opinion. It is because we as a group are very satisfied with the balance that dianno has masterminded and that the playtesters have tested to the breaking point multiple times.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#19 XtremeRoflcopter

XtremeRoflcopter

• Contributor
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Covenant are still being worked on in order to finalize so balance may seem imperfect. However, the frame of the balance is structurally sound and the odds of it being changed in any significant way are slim. Tweaking is bound to happen throughout its eventual finalization though.

#20 Normon

Normon

High Commander of the Fleet of Unholy Fire

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts
  • LocationThe cartographer.

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

I still believe that the Flood need to be buffed. :P

• Defender0 likes this
Signature? Quotes? Images? Nonsense! Actually, cool quotes are cool. - Me
Primus successus aut totus error. - EOD

1 user(s) are reading this topic