• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

Cortana seems to always know what the Covenant are up to because she monitors the "Covenant BattleNet."  

- This could be the name for the Covenant's slipspace monitoring research.

- The Covenant could also use this for some other abilities/functions(?)

- The UNSC (especially given the bits of chatter I've seen about an ONI research tree) could have an ability to spy on the BattleNet in some function(?)

#2 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

Cortana seems to always know what the Covenant are up to because she monitors the "Covenant BattleNet."  

- This could be the name for the Covenant's slipspace monitoring research.

- The Covenant could also use this for some other abilities/functions(?)

- The UNSC (especially given the bits of chatter I've seen about an ONI research tree) could have an ability to spy on the BattleNet in some function(?)

Good idea but covenant battlenet sounds like a culture idea.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#3 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Good idea but covenant battlenet sounds like a culture idea.

"Tonight at 12, tune into Battlenet on channel blarg blarg to find out what happens when 3 Unggoy and 1 Kig-Yar are placed on a deserted asteroid and forced into kill or be killed combat. Blood will be spilt, nipples will go un-sucked, see it all on Battlenet on channel blarg blarb."
It sounded like a channel the way you said it. Don't know why.

• MrChipps, Wolf186, chiefship and 4 others like this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#4 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

"Tonight at 12, tune into Battlenet on channel blarg blarg to find out what happens when 3 Unggoy and 1 Kig-Yar are placed on a deserted asteroid and forced into kill or be killed combat. Blood will be spilt, nipples will go un-sucked, see it all on Battlenet on channel blarg blarb."

Kheva, what on reach goes on inside your head?

#5 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

That sounds great, what channel is that on UK TV, is it on after The Worlds Scariest Elite Chases? :P

#6 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

The BattleNet is a communications network (similar to and prossibly based on the ansible from the Ender's Game series).  Honestly the closest thing SotP has to a comm network is pinging and chat, neither of which can really be changed (as far as I know?).  I was thinking that this could have more to do with planet/ship vision.  Or to go another route, some kind of team bonus for the Covenant to make it easier to coordinate strikes, and to counter that a team bonus for the UNSC to be able to anticipate strikes (because Cortana knows what they're plotting).  

On the UNSC end of this I have two ideas for orbital stations that can counter a BattleNet.  I think the UNSC already has all the defense it needs from an Anchor/SMAC/Sabre combo.  These stations would fill a more auxiliary role.

1. Remote Scanning Outpost

A listening post is mentioned in both The Fall of Reach and Halo 2.  They can detect Covenant fleets and allow the UNSC to do some last minute prepping for an assault.

http://halo.wikia.co...canning_Outpost

2. Gamma Station

Gamma is mentioned in The Fall of Reach and is a DLC map for Halo: Reach.  This station is able to refit and repair ships.  Perhaps this could be the new look for the UNSC's refit and repair station.  It could also potentially be a "second starbase" since that idea seems popular around here.  I don't necessarily think it should be a star base though because the UNSC's defense is already pretty good.

http://halo.wikia.co...h_Station_Gamma

Food for Thought.

#7 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

The BattleNet is a communications network (similar to and prossibly based on the ansible from the Ender's Game series).  Honestly the closest thing SotP has to a comm network is pinging and chat, neither of which can really be changed (as far as I know?).  I was thinking that this could have more to do with planet/ship vision.  Or to go another route, some kind of team bonus for the Covenant to make it easier to coordinate strikes, and to counter that a team bonus for the UNSC to be able to anticipate strikes (because Cortana knows what they're plotting).  

On the UNSC end of this I have two ideas for orbital stations that can counter a BattleNet.  I think the UNSC already has all the defense it needs from an Anchor/SMAC/Sabre combo.  These stations would fill a more auxiliary role.

1. Remote Scanning Outpost

A listening post is mentioned in both The Fall of Reach and Halo 2.  They can detect Covenant fleets and allow the UNSC to do some last minute prepping for an assault.

http://halo.wikia.co...canning_Outpost

2. Gamma Station

Gamma is mentioned in The Fall of Reach and is a DLC map for Halo: Reach.  This station is able to refit and repair ships.  Perhaps this could be the new look for the UNSC's refit and repair station.  It could also potentially be a "second starbase" since that idea seems popular around here.  I don't necessarily think it should be a star base though because the UNSC's defense is already pretty good.

http://halo.wikia.co...h_Station_Gamma

Food for Thought.

I know what the Battlenet is, I was just making a joke.

I could see this as a name for some research in the Covenant tech tree, fleet coordination, speed, turn rate perhaps.

Gamma Station is planned to be put in in some capacity, however it will be edited from canon to make it more useful.

The Remote Outpost could function as a secondary ability for the Comm Relays, giving you vision on a nearby planets. I like that idea as a secondary ability researched in midgame. Sins already has a defualt research that allows you to view ship phase jumps and therefore fleet movements.

• Demosthenes likes this
Spoiler

#8 Capt. Gacob Skeeze

Capt. Gacob Skeeze

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationBeating the Dog over the Fence

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

The psidar and later super psidar research covers this essentially.

#9 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

There was a plan to include the gamma station but it was a defensive station,I think it was unikraken, mustachio or myself who coined the term "omega station"  as a defensive station.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#10 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

There was a plan to include the gamma station but it was a defensive station,I think it was unikraken, mustachio or myself who coined the term "omega station"  as a defensive station.

I call BS. I was talking about Omega Station well before it was cool.
  • Cole Protocol likes this
Spoiler

#11 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

I call BS. I was talking about Omega Station well before it was cool.

Hipster before a hipster!

You first used the term on ModdB on october 31st, i first coined the term on the 27th of the same month.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#12 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Nah man, before that, That is just when I posted it on Moddb.
Spoiler

#13 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:28 PM

Nah man, before that, That is just when I posted it on Moddb.

Quote in your first use of it then.

Posted by SPECTRE on 27 October 2013 - 03:09 PM in Suggestions and Feedback

Call it the omega class orbital emplacement. "the last thing those covvies ever see." could be its quote for when you select it.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#14 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

Quote in your first use of it then.

No. I don't need to justify myself. I used it first, I did. I... it was when... the thing... the stuff... on the date.
  • SPECTRE likes this
Spoiler

#15 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:59 PM

No. I don't need to justify myself. I used it first, I did. I... it was when... the thing... the stuff... on the date.

Because 42.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users