• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Balancing, fleet supply and costs. (bit of a gripe)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

After playing a couple of online games with scifi and Insaene i feel as if the balance is off for playing against human players.

Never really had any problems facing a heroic covenant player but a Human player is another story.

For some reason despite all the economic buff the UNSC get, i still found myself short of money (not resources).

For example i held 24 (fully upgraded) planets while insaene (playing as cov) held roughly half that number yet he could still manage to afford to build 30+ccs while i could struggle to build the same number of frigates.

That brings me on to the next problem...(sorry guys I'm having a bit of a gripe here)

The fleet supply and physical cost of frigates is way to high, what should stop me from buying and building a marathon instead? I mean the marathon could easily have a crew 4 times that of a frigate and probably costs around 12 frigates(estimate), so why is it so damn cheap?

Next problem the halcyon... why is there in the tech tree? I never use it and necer seen anyone use is, i recommend you throw it down the tech tree to use early on.

Cov fighters, just too OP atm, Insaene had 10 bomber squadrons, while i had 18 sabre interceptor squadrons, yet they go straight onto hitting ships instead of those bombers, even when i ordered them to attack the bombers they took out 7 SMACS a Sabre hanger and a repair station too. All in the space of 60 seconds :/

I ended up winning the game (while i was AFK of all things) because Insaene disconnected, and during the disconnect time the culture spread a lot.

I think that Cov ships should take a hell of a lot more resources, money and time to build.

Gripe over...(finally) thoughts?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#2 chiefship

chiefship

Petty Officer First Class

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • LocationLand of the wörk. wörk wörk wörk

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Maybe try to change your tactics, for example not to much fleet resarch or use more nukes against cov players. When I played against insaene and nakamura he (insaene as UNSC) could defead me (cov) with 12- 14 planets because he used a lot of nukes (cap-ships). I spamed ccs cruiser and at some point I had about 30+ ccs cruisers but this stupid nuke spam always destroyed my ccs fleets.

My face during the Germany:Brazil game 2014

Spoiler

#3 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Maybe try to change your tactics, for example not to much fleet resarch or use more nukes against cov players. When I played against insaene and nakamura he (insaene as UNSC) could defead me (cov) with 12- 14 planets because he used a lot of nukes (cap-ships). I spamed ccs cruiser and at some point I had about 30+ ccs cruisers but this stupid nuke spam always destroyed my ccs fleets.

it not a 1 one 1 though.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#4 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

30 marathons will get slaughtered, you need frigates to assure you have numbers. Half of the "suggestions" you have made are things we have tried and failed in the past. At this point in time we have lots of peple saying how wonderfully balanced we are but yet you are the only one who thinks it is an issue. We do have a few problems we are working out but the game is balanced for pvp. In fact its more balanced for that than against the AI. The fighters are an issue we are working on. they are the hardest thing to balance since fighter behavior can vary but we are working on making UNSC fighters equal and giving covenant more of them.

• Bornstellaris and Lavo like this

bDNWw7L.png

#5 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

30 marathons will get slaughtered, you need frigates to assure you have numbers. Half of the "suggestions" you have made are things we have tried and failed in the past. At this point in time we have lots of peple saying how wonderfully balanced we are but yet you are the only one who thinks it is an issue. We do have a few problems we are working out but the game is balanced for pvp. In fact its more balanced for that than against the AI. The fighters are an issue we are working on. they are the hardest thing to balance since fighter behavior can vary but we are working on making UNSC fighters equal and giving covenant more of them.

I found that the Fighters are a big problem.

Also might i suggest a weekly update so we know what you have worked on and are currently working on?

kinda like a checklist.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#6 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

we have internal patch notes, we have updated a few posts with what were workin on. Otherwise we wont release that as what we are trying and working on change based on results and we dont have time to update you on everything we do or decide not to do. We will update the community with a sure list when the time is appropriate.

• Unikraken, Bornstellaris and Lavo like this

bDNWw7L.png

#7 Demosthenes

Demosthenes

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

I definitely agree with the Halcyon gripe.  The ship's in-game description is itself a gripe.  It seems wasteful to have to research something that isn't useful in mid to late game.  Even just moving it to an earlier point in the research tree would work.

#8 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

This is a difficult one but I agree entirely with Dianno, balance is a really fine thing which I have confessed numerous times I know nothing about. Dianno does and his mini-team work their socks of to get it right. I won't repeat anything Dianno has said but the Halcyon issue did catch my eye. 

My train of thought is this:

Whenever I'm in a largeish battle and don't micromanage, if I take few casualties, they're always the same ships, Paris, Charon then Thanatos. Thus, I assume the AI targets these ships first for whatever reason (Capitals are supposed to be but stay with me for a moment).

Halcyons are designed as damage sponges, to require little in the way of micromanaging and just to run to the front and meatshield themselves. 

However, Halcyons vary rarely die in my fleets, leading me to believe they aren't being targeted, thus defeating their entire purpose. 

This does rely on a few assumptions that I suspect may be flawed (they may not die because of such high health, or my assumption that parises etc are targeted first, as well as others) so someone will likely put me right here.

But if I'm right. Does the Halcyon need a rework? Not entirely, just maybe something that makes it actually fit its purpose. Like the Animosity ability on Radiance Battleships. 

As I say, this is entirely conjecture but I'd like to know how wide I swung on my logic.

• Emberblaque likes this

#9 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

Halcyons are supposed to survive Phase One and assist in destroying ships during Phase Two and the next Phase One

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#10 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

Halcyons are supposed to survive Phase One and assist in destroying ships during Phase Two and the next Phase One

Oh ok, that may explain it, most of the battles of that type don't generally hit Phase 1 again. Thanks.

Edit: I see what M468 was saying now, having the delete post button right where quote used to be could get messy. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users