• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Mantle's Approach...why does this appear to be planned for the mod?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Accidentally brought up the print screen when I was typing this, hit back and lost my post so I am going to make brief.

I am hesitant to make this topic because anyone who talks about larger ships just gets shouted at, but this was the reason for me making this account.  I brought this up in a post I made that no one seemed to care about (recommend reading that if you want a better-worded post than this, the longer one that is) in that Assault Carrier Battleship switching topic so I would like to ask again.

I saw Mantle's Approach on your Moddb page in the images a while back and am confused because of it.  That ship is much larger than either the Covenant supercarrier you all hate so much and either fortress-class models that I presume you also won't put in the mod.  I disagree...but whatever.

The point is, why then would the Didact's flagship be in the game if it is both far larger and more powerful than either of those other ship classes?  And I can only assume it will be in the mod, since I cannot find anything anywhere about it being a joke and not or something.  Thus wouldn't that break the balance you wanted even more than those other ships, and in attempting to balance it wouldn't that defeat the purpose of excluding those other two ship types (or at least the fortress-class ones)?

I am truly confused here guys.

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#2 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

They had an excuse for it, scaled down or just to show off a bit.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#3 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

because, despite the visual guide saying it is several hundred kilometers tall(?), it is far smaller than that, if you compare it to the ships that attack it in the final level of halo 4, as well as when it leaves slipspace and is surrounded by phantoms and liches in the second to last level of halo 4. Honestly, i wouldnt put its size at more than 20 kilometers tall, which is on par with most forerunner ships like the keyship.

• Bornstellaris likes this

#4 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

Which is around 3.57 times the size of an assault carrier...

What you are telling me then is that the guidebook must be wrong?  What if then, in future iterations of Halo canon it is confirmed to be the size stated in the guidebook instead of what could be seen from just cutscenes?  I remember reading somewhere that the guidebook is dubious in terms of Mantle's Approach actual size, and stating that it was so large that it even had a small atmosphere around it.  Seems to me like just relying on the guidebook being wrong is perhaps not the best excuse considering other sources could potentially further confirm its size and true canonicity (such as in future books, comics, and games).  Besides, it might have only seemed so small in Halo 4 at various points for the sake of just gameplay and performance, or even just 343 failing at demonstrating its full scale.  What will you do if multiple sources confirm its size?  Stick to your guns and simply ignore that part of the canon?

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#5 Normon

Normon

High Commander of the Fleet of Unholy Fire

• Inactive Staff
  • 432 posts
  • LocationThe cartographer.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Wouldn't be the first time we've strayed from canon, we could call it the Didact's personal yacht.

• sloosecannon and David0425 like this
Signature? Quotes? Images? Nonsense! Actually, cool quotes are cool. - Me
Primus successus aut totus error. - EOD

#6 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

Canon is a tool we use. We have to design things and use canon as not a law but a guideline at times. We dont use the plot device not because its stupidly large. We dont like it because we feel its lazy and not very good for what we want. Unlike the mantles approach which has more depth to it

bDNWw7L.png

#7 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

If we are sticking to the forerunner remnant would'nt the Master Builder's fleet be the top choice since the didacts ship isn't really connected with it? (also the Master Builder's flagship allows for some creative control) , this could be added to later if we ever use the rebelion split faction options to choose between the two.

#8 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

If we are sticking to the forerunner remnant would'nt the Master Builder's fleet be the top choice since the didacts ship isn't really connected with it? (also the Master Builder's flagship allows for some creative control) , this could be added to later if we ever use the rebelion split faction options to choose between the two.

Everyone got a boner over the Mantel's Approach in Halo 4. The Infinity is another boner inducing event. If you think we're going to give up that kind of PR effect for some fanon ship you're completely nuts Dark.

• insaene likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#9 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:25 PM

Canon is a tool we use. We have to design things and use canon as not a law but a guideline at times. We dont use the plot device not because its stupidly large. We dont like it because we feel its lazy and not very good for what we want. Unlike the mantles approach which has more depth to it

Good to hear, but if I may, then do you have any decisions about either iterations of the fortress-class vessels?

#10 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Good to hear, but if I may, then do you have any decisions about either iterations of the fortress-class vessels?

if you think about it, most, if not all, of the fortress class vessels would have been destroyed during the forerunner flood war, due to their size making them priority targets probably

#11 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

We have no current plans to include them as usable ships. They may show up later for other purposes.

#12 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

I suppose I am not entirely understanding the Forerunner faction you have in mind really.  When this mod was in development before Halo 4 was even announced I am pretty sure the faction was supposed to be some slowly evolving set of command protocols if I am remembering correctly, and trying to emphasize that empire remnant type thing.  But now after the Didact came back (and may or may not be dead) with the events of the recent books and game, with who knows what else on its way for the future of the story, I have to wonder how that affects your view for the faction.

Make no mistake I am excited to play as Forerunners and thus am quite appeased that they are making a playable appearance, but at first It almost seemed contrived to have them in the first place as playable due to the nature of the setting and just not having much to work with in a matter of speaking.  Now with the current setting of Halo lore it changes your previous vision I think, but adds a decent amount to make that change worth it.  All in all though, I guess don't really know your vision for that future faction at this time.

By the way, thanks for answering me.  My confusion has been substantially lessened.

if you think about it, most, if not all, of the fortress class vessels would have been destroyed during the forerunner flood war, due to their size making them priority targets probably

It might be possible too that manufacturing facilities still exist in that galaxy for things like that due to the sheer size of the Forerunner empire, among other things undiscovered.  Considering sentinels are still manufactured as can be Halo rings and who knows what else.

#13 FrostWyrmWraith

FrostWyrmWraith

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

A wrecked fortress ship could make for an interesting random 'planet.' Similar to an asteroid colony, or perhaps uncolonizable like magnetic clouds but with some sort of localized effect.

• Unikraken and Centurian128 like this

#14 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

This has been suggested.

• Centurian128 likes this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#15 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

@ Death

Im not quoting because it's to long to effectively quote.

In general the scale (size) of our Forerunner ships will be made to fit the limit of sins and the scaling of the rest of the mod (in general)_ after all the average Forerunner cruiser in canon was roughly the size of an Assualt Carrier. The Forerunners in our mod planned to be a shadow of the of the former glory of the Ecume. Unfortunately that is all I can give you now at this point.  :(

• Unikraken, Defender0 and Fleet Admiral agigabyte like this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#16 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:00 PM

Everyone got a boner over the Mantel's Approach in Halo 4. The Infinity is another boner inducing event. If you think we're going to give up that kind of PR effect for some fanon ship you're completely nuts Dark.

lol, I should re read my stuff before posting, I ment to say add the master builders fleet later to split the faction, I agree about M'A, looking forward to seeing it, especially how its planet swallowing slipspace rupture will look ingame and if you wanted to show off you could add to its abilities to make it more like Halo 4's Promethean Knights and how they could spawn smaller units of varying combat roles.

Also on a side note their is at least one Fortress class ship left, the Librarian saw it docked near M'A inside requiem on her way to stop her husband, come to think of it, that might be what that thing is in the Halo 5 trailer.

#17 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

@ Death

Im not quoting because it's to long to effectively quote.

In general the scale (size) of our Forerunner ships will be made to fit the limit of sins and the scaling of the rest of the mod (in general)_ after all the average Forerunner cruiser in canon was roughly the size of an Assualt Carrier. The Forerunners in our mod planned to be a shadow of the of the former glory of the Ecume. Unfortunately that is all I can give you now at this point.  :(

Well I appreciate what you can give me regardless.

And according to D4RKST0RM99 there very well might be a single fortress-class (second iteration maybe) vessel left.  So there's that.

#18 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

And according to D4RKST0RM99 there very well might be a single fortress-class (second iteration maybe) vessel left.  So there's that.

yes it was one pulled away either from the current defense force fighting the flood or from guarding the greater ark and Installation 07 before the final battle.

#19 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

I can tell you now that Fortress class ships are not something we're really interested in at the moment. It would be really hard to scale right and not hurt other parts of the mod. If we determine that we can't bring the Forerunners in without vastly changing the mod they will probably never leave the militia role they have now, unfortunately. Regardless, they're on hold until UNSC and Covenant factions are nearly complete, which is a ways off. I can tell you I don't want any of my guys texturing or modeling them while there are other ships that need modeling and texturing.

• Defender0 and D4RKST0RM99 like this

#20 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Oh they might not actually make it as a playable race?  That would just kill the interest I have in the mod honestly...hmmm...I'm sure you can make it work when the time comes though.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users