• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

Mantle's Approach...why does this appear to be planned for the mod?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

To completely design an entire faction that is designed to be OP is difficult. I do have a design for them and while I would encourage you to play the game without the forerunners, we are concerned with the halo universe centering around The original trilogy. The infinity and forerunner stuff is kick back to halo 4 so people who like that game can have some fun too but our goal is to bring things like the book "Fall of Reach" to life. Forerunners are secondary and will probably be a mini mod that adds them rather than them being apart of SotP proper.

• Unikraken, D4RKST0RM99 and Lavo like this

bDNWw7L.png

#22 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

I have to say that leaves me feeling somewhat disappointed knowing they might not be.  I suppose I am in the minority then caring only somewhat about UNSC or Covenant (though they do have a certain charm) since I always liked the higher-tech factions in fictional universes.  Necrons in 40k, Scrin in C&C, Reapers in ME, Forerunners or original Precursors in Halo, Vasari in Sins, Seraphim in SupCom (these last two are debatable though)...the list goes on; and after playing with UNSC and Covenant tech and factions all throughout past Halo games I still gravitated towards Forerunner things in the end.  I was hoping this mod could fulfill that sort of desire when they do eventually come out.  If it doesn't fit your vision though then that is your decision.  I'll hold out for the hope though.

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#23 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

We very much want them to happen, we just realize they will be a challenge to bring to life.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#24 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

With the passion that has been put into this mod, then I'm sure you could pull it off.

The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!   - Paullian Blantar Iron-Father of the Kaargul Clan, Iron Hands Chapter.

We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence. There will come a time when stygian night never ends, where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever. - Adept Corteswain at the Omniastery of Selethoth, shortly before his disappearance.

#25 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

because, despite the visual guide saying it is several hundred kilometers tall(?), it is far smaller than that, if you compare it to the ships that attack it in the final level of halo 4, as well as when it leaves slipspace and is surrounded by phantoms and liches in the second to last level of halo 4. Honestly, i wouldnt put its size at more than 20 kilometers tall, which is on par with most forerunner ships like the keyship.

https://forums.halow...9683_posts.aspx

Even low ball estimates when the game was released pegged it as 72 kilometers high.  Way larger than the plot device.

Also have you guys considered maybe making a Covenant Remnant faction and their titan be Mantle's Approach? 

#26 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:31 PM

29km high is not so bad because the human eye has a field of view of around60 degrees vertically and about 100-160!horizonatlly evening out the proportions. Braking the scale much less. The plot device on the other hand will stretch over half the grav well.
And I don't the they'll be sub factions.
  • Unikraken likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#27 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

I was gonna actually make a suggestion thread about sub factions depending on how Escalation and Mortal Dicta go.  The Arbiter and Jul 'Mdama's factions could be two sub-factions.  As could the Innie's and the UNSC.  

#28 Centurian128

Centurian128

Crewman

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationKaalann, Skaro

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

Wouldn't it be difficult to put the Mantle's Approach in the mod anyway.  Lore-wise I mean.  If the addition of the Forerunner faction is to be set into a timeline that is post-Halo 4 then the Mantle's Approach couldn't be in it given what happened to it at the end of the game.  Or am I confusing my facts?

Spoiler

#29 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Wouldn't it be difficult to put the Mantle's Approach in the mod anyway.  Lore-wise I mean.  If the addition of the Forerunner faction is to be set into a timeline that is post-Halo 4 then the Mantle's Approach couldn't be in it given what happened to it at the end of the game.  Or am I confusing my facts?

You are correct but their are no other canonical Forerunner ship designs that we know of that would fit the role of faction Titan, more importantly its in the Mod because it is as iconic as the Infinity and that will add to the overall Halo/Halo 4 feel of the mod, with that reasoning I would assume Requiem would need an appearance somewhere, just to top it off.

#30 Centurian128

Centurian128

Crewman

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationKaalann, Skaro

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

I guess that's fair, since the only other one that comes close to that is the fortress class and it's just too big, too powerful, and too unknown to put in effectivly.  And Mantle's curb appeal [so to speak] does help.

I've had a thought though, what are people's thoughts on what should be used as Mantle's Approach's strike craft [if it were to have strike craft]?  Would there be a way to beef up the Prometheans and use them?  In the Halo 4 terminal vids, we see them soring like paratroops towards flood infected ships.  Thinking about it, that might be more suited towards the particle effect for planet bombardment.  That is of course unless the Composer beam is being used for that.

Thoughts?

Spoiler

#31 Death

Death

Death knows no bounds!

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:19 PM

I'd have to imagine a composer would be part of the ship's abilities for use on a planet.

I guess that's fair, since the only other one that comes close to that is the fortress class and it's just too big, too powerful, and too unknown to put in effectivly.  And Mantle's curb appeal [so to speak] does help.

I don't know why you say that since Mantle's Approach is 7.4 to 3.7 times the size of either iteration of the fortress-class vessels.  So if anything a fortress-class ship should be the titan considering that the Didact's flagship would likely have even more armour, shielding, weaponry, and the like...which only further increases the power gap between the forerunners and the other factions in the mod.

Of course none of that matters though if the devs see fit to just downscale Mantle's Approach because they disagree with its stated size in addition to how iconic it is to the faction.  Not to mention the obvious decrease in number of weapons that ships use due to the limitations of the game engine to begin with.

Just saying.

#32 Centurian128

Centurian128

Crewman

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationKaalann, Skaro

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Fair point, it is bigger than a fortress class [just looked up the stated dimensions for it] but 7.4 to 3.7 times, seriously?  Is it just me or does it seem that 343i is overcompensating for something?

Spoiler

#33 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

I said this in another topic, but man you guys can't be so literal all the time. If any of this stuff goes in, it's purely for fun and aesthetics. Clearly a 100km long ship isn't going to be 100km long, it would most likely be scaled down to a fraction of that, say 5km long as a good rounding number.

Edit: I would also be pretty bummed out if I started this for nothing:

ma2.jpg

• sloosecannon, Centurian128, Bornstellaris and 3 others like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#34 Centurian128

Centurian128

Crewman

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationKaalann, Skaro

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Well that's impressive.  I try not to be that literal all the time, but in the logical progression of things I start with the canon source material and think on how it might fit.  I'm also working off of the decisions that have already been made and how to keep future speculation in line with those decisions.

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users