33 replies to this topic

#1 dragonwing11

dragonwing11

Aspiring Modder

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOhio, United States of America

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:53 PM

Hello, I have used your mod for quite a while now, and now I would like to add on to/ create a new mod. Do you know where I would get started? I am not very efficient at coding as of right now, but I love computers, and with a high IQ, I learn fast. I understand that this very post may be deleted or ignored, but I suppose I need to start somewhere.

#2 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

Well, this may only be moderately helpful, but i advise browsing MODDB, that can give you a few clues. also, i wouldn't jump right into making a mod if you dont know coding yet, perhaps try to help a mod that is currently being made.  and dont worry about deletion! the only things we delete are spammers and trolls, so avoid those and you A-OKAY.

• Aunt Gruntie likes this

#3 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

What do you want to do? What skills do you have at all? From there I can probably direct you in the right direction to get started.

• Bornstellaris likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#4 Emberblaque

Emberblaque

Commander

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,356 posts
  • LocationThonotosassa, FL

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

This is a good site for understanding everything that's involved in the various parts of modding Sins of a Solar Empire: http://soase.x90x.net/

Don't be afraid to ask questions in the Sins modding forums or in Off-Topic here. You'll probably fare better on their forum though. If you tell us what you're good at like Unikraken asked then we can familiarize you with the existing mods to see if you would like to work on one of those.

#5 dragonwing11

dragonwing11

Aspiring Modder

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationOhio, United States of America

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

(Nice response time btw) Familiar with? Well, I understand how to convert bin to txt, and then how to modify that txt to do certain things. For instance, I changed the Super Carrier's (UNSC) mac to 3 times its normal output. Sadly, that is almost all that I am good/ experienced at. I will try the modding forums I suppose, maybe I can learn a thing or two.

Also: env.out("Hello World!");

Lol, Im so good^

Edit: I also understand basic binary, like and adder, or, for instance, 101=5; 10100=20.

Not much experience, but better than nothing :D

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

Well, this may only be moderately helpful, but i advise browsing MODDB, that can give you a few clues. also, i wouldn't jump right into making a mod if you dont know coding yet, perhaps try to help a mod that is currently being made. and dont worry about deletion! the only things we delete are spammers and trolls, so avoid those and you A-OKAY.

And hideous posts. And things the great unikraken despises. And people who should not have been on here for the time he was on here. #Hewhocannotbenamed
  • David0425 and Cole Protocol like this
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:09 PM

For instance, I changed the Super Carrier's (UNSC) mac to 3 times its normal output

Thats more than i have done so far, and im a coder for the team, so i applaud you. But back to the point, Stick around, look around, and keep your eye out while asking around. You can learn pretty quick here or somewhere Uni mentioned if you put your mind too it. So if we can direct you anywhere as Uni said, please, let us know!

#8 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thats more than i have done so far, and im a coder for the team, so i applaud you. But back to the point, Stick around, look around, and keep your eye out while asking around. You can learn pretty quick here or somewhere Uni mentioned if you put your mind too it. So if we can direct you anywhere as Uni said, please, let us know!

Did you pay attention to what me Goa and Sloose said at all.......... :o

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#9 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

Did you pay attention to what me Goa and Sloose said at all.......... :o

Yes, but so far I have only [REDACTED], Not mess with any of the weapon stats. Still, I remember the majority, so I assure you it was not in vain.

#10 Bornstellaris

Bornstellaris

The Winter Soldier

• Mod Staff
  • 1,533 posts
  • Steam:Bornstellaris
  • LocationCivil War

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Hello, I have used your mod for quite a while now, and now I would like to add on to/ create a new mod. Do you know where I would get started? I am not very efficient at coding as of right now, but I love computers, and with a high IQ, I learn fast. I understand that this very post may be deleted or ignored, but I suppose I need to start somewhere.

If you're creating a complete custom mod, you'll need brand new art assets. If you're willing to learn how to create new assets, there are many people on the forums (including myself) that will help push you in the right direction. Don't be afraid to ask anyone around here, we're all friendly, for the most part.

That goes for anyone actually, I'm always willing to help people with their 3D models.

"But I knew him" 

- Bucky Barnes

Spoiler

#11 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

Speak for yourself, im a greedy son of a bitch who wants all the artists to myself. And sound guys too. Anyway welcome to the forums. Modding is not something you will learn in 4 days. It starts with understanding entity files, then understanding how the game/computer will interpret those files. Understanding how the AI behaves to changes to role types and what not. Stick around to listen to the grand master modder Lavo and hell impart yoda like wisdom upon you. Also we have other modders running around this site too that can share their wisdom on how they run things differently. 

bDNWw7L.png

#12 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

Speak for yourself, im a greedy son of a bitch who wants all the artists to myself. And sound guys too. Anyway welcome to the forums. Modding is not something you will learn in 4 days. It starts with understanding entity files, then understanding how the game/computer will interpret those files. Understanding how the AI behaves to changes to role types and what not. Stick around to listen to the grand master modder Lavo and hell impart yoda like wisdom upon you. Also we have other modders running around this site too that can share their wisdom on how they run things differently. 

Yes Lavo and Hell will impart wisdom on you. Just watch out though cus Hell has a tendency to suck you in, forever..... it sucks

• sloosecannon likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#13 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:58 AM

He'll. ^ smart ass XD

• sloosecannon likes this

bDNWw7L.png

#14 nightlight.zero

nightlight.zero

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

If you go onto the Sins Forums Modding Section, I belive ZombieRus (a well known, and prominent modder in the community who has been heavily involved in many mods) wrote a very solid guide on how to get started modding the game's files. I think it's a stickied thread.

It certainly helped me transition from tweaking mods in SW: Forces of Corruption to tweaking mods in Sins Rebellion.

• CanadaMan7 and Emberblaque like this

#15 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

What??? Man I did a ton more than this. Alone for the spreadsheet calculation to test Import/Export and to test something in SP.

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#16 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

What??? Man I did a ton more than this. Alone for the spreadsheet calculation to test Import/Export and to test something in SP.

Well if you want to "code"...  *nudge* *nudge*

• sloosecannon, Bornstellaris, Fleet Admiral agigabyte and 1 other like this

#17 insaene

insaene

Master of the Insane(You! Yeah YOU!!)

• Contributor
  • 645 posts
  • LocationIn your mind, eating your sanity

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

Oh no! Not the whip! Na for real now. I wouldn't be productive till I cured myself. Posting at work is all I can do for now..

• Fleet Admiral agigabyte and David0425 like this

Dwarf.png

It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones

#18 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, best advice to follow is definitely browsing the SoaSE modding forum section. It transitioned me from a humble internet plebe to a relative jack of all trades in only a few days/months/years.

yLM4TEk.png

#19 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

I actually gave the CAS two more energy projectors and the CCS fighters.  But I don't really have Mesh editing software to really mod.

#20 Dianno5741

Dianno5741

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 581 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

Your modding our mod?

bDNWw7L.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users