34 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

Since it was stated Infinity was supposed to be the last resort if Earth ever fell, should it have the ability to function as a homeworld in last Capital Standing?

• Verteros likes this

#2 David0425

David0425

Petty Officer Second Class

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Steam:dtw0425
  • LocationEarth, Homefleet, UNSC Glorious Warrior

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Lol run infinity run! The forerunners are coming!
"They must love the smell of Green." Thanks SOTP Modding team for all your Hard work, and effort in this mod!<br />
-Sergeant Avery Johnson,Halo 3<br />
Spoiler

#3 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:42 AM

Not as a last resort if earth fell, built to fight of the covenant in the sol system.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#4 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

It was more of an Ark... If the ark was a galleon>
Built to fight so it could defend Earth but also capable of maintaining a sizable human population as our last resort.
  • Fleet Admiral agigabyte likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#5 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

It was more of an Ark... If the ark was a galleon>
Built to fight so it could defend Earth but also capable of maintaining a sizable human population as our last resort.

Course this plan fell through because the UNSC believed the Infinity would be completed long before the Covenant discovered Earth, come to think of it when you consider how strategically important Reach was, what did they build in the Epsilon Eridanus Oort cloud.

#6 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:37 AM

you consider how strategically important Reach was, what did they build in the Epsilon Eridanus Oort cloud.

Because Earth was more important for humanity and the military. There is no way they would defend any world better than Earth, that is why Earth had over 300 SMACs while Reach had ...less.
Spoiler

#7 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

Because Earth was more important for humanity and the military. There is no way they would defend any world better than Earth, that is why Earth had over 300 SMACs while Reach had ...less.

I'm aware of that but Reach was still pretty important- strategically, it would make sense to have both work on something different but then you have to consider, before Reach was discovered how were the UNSC so sure Earth would be discovered last in order to continually hide their crowning jewel of technological achievements.

• haseo yashimora likes this

#8 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

The massive amount of SMACs was only built at Earth after they saw the success at Reach

Posted Image

#9 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:40 AM

The massive amount of SMACs was only built at Earth after they saw the success at Reach

They were planing the SMAC defense for Earth from as early as Johnson joining the Marines, before the war even started. Reach was important, Earth was more important.

They didn't assume Earth would be found last, in fact it wasn't discovered last. There were still colonies out there untouched by the Covvies.
Spoiler

#10 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

There were SMACS over reach from 2506 I think.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#11 Stephan-338

Stephan-338

Former Lead Playtester

• Inactive Staff
  • 739 posts
  • Steam:Stephan-338
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:10 AM

They were planing the SMAC defense for Earth from as early as Johnson joining the Marines, before the war even started. Reach was important, Earth was more important.

They didn't assume Earth would be found last, in fact it wasn't discovered last. There were still colonies out there untouched by the Covvies.

There were already SMACs but they built more when they saw when they saw the amazing performance of it during the fall of Reach though, I don't know which book says it but it took a few weeks to get them operational after the fall of Reach so I doubt all those 300 SMACs were there since 2506

Posted Image

#12 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:37 AM

Nah I mean Infinity wasn't supposed to be a Carrier/Coloniser ship. There would not be much room for civilians, at least not enough to make the difference.

• SPECTRE likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#13 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Role would be better suited to the oni stealth cruiser. Because that would be funny as shit.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#14 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:00 PM

I like to think of the Infinity as something close to the Enterprise-D.
  • SPECTRE likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

I like to think of the Infinity as something close to the Enterprise-D.

Maybe the Venture refit Galaxy's in terms of roles and relative firepower respective other universes.
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#16 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

There were already SMACs but they built more when they saw when they saw the amazing performance of it during the fall of Reach though, I don't know which book says it but it took a few weeks to get them operational after the fall of Reach so I doubt all those 300 SMACs were there since 2506

I can remember at the start of Halo 2 Sgt Johnson mentioned that SMAC network idea was only on paper when he first shipped out for Basic so it may have began with a lower count then grown in the wake of the covenant threat, being the political, economic and military hub of the UNSC you'd think Reach would have had a larger SMAC count than earth also that it is a larger planet and may need larger coverage from attack.

#17 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Earth was the capital. Reach was the fleet base outside of Sol.
Spoiler

#18 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Earth was the capital. Reach was the fleet base outside of Sol.

According to to the books it was a lot more than that, being the central hub that connected all the inner colonies, earth only lost out to that position because it itself was a remote world on the edge of the galaxy and would have been ill suited for that role.

#19 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

According to to the books it was a lot more than that, being the central hub that connected all the inner colonies, earth only lost out to that position because it itself was a remote world on the edge of the galaxy and would have been ill suited for that role.

Reach was the main center of military command. That is what is stated in the books. Earth was very much still the political and governmental head of the UEG. Which after all is the name of the government the UNSC serves.

Spoiler

#20 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

Reach was the main center of military command. That is what is stated in the books. Earth was very much still the political and governmental head of the UEG. Which after all is the name of the government the UNSC serves.

Reach was also a huge economic center.

"Eridani's superior interstellar jump point has been the most active S-F space transfer zone (arrivals and departures) for over thirty years, with ε Eridani's inferior IJP and Sol's superior IJP regularly trading second and third place spots."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users