• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Tactically placed.

UNSC defences are nothing when facing an SDV spam.

I have fought just about everybody on this subject.

There called "mines" those things take care of SDV's easy.

#22 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Tactically placed.

Yes you have. Perhaps that's a sign that people don't agree with you...
This is me, speaking as an admin, saying you are wrong, and do not continue this stupid discussion. If you're too stupid or whatever to properly set up your defenses, that's your problem, not mine. Your point has been made and noted, repeatedly. Carry on.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#23 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

Ok.....think I might get into a lot of trouble for revealing this before its even officially announced so this might get pulled by the Admin.

Drum roll please

Ladies and gents, I give you..........

SOTP's UNSC OFFENSIVE STARBASE-

Spoiler

• sloosecannon, ahunter257, Moustachio86 and 3 others like this

#24 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

0 0
V
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#25 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Spoiler

I get the impression this is very much what the border will look like if Scotland becomes independent.
  • sloosecannon likes this

#26 ARC 179

ARC 179

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAWOL

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

Back on topic, the station needs ONAGER/Mini MACS, for ship defense and perhaps give it a selection of Deck Guns, 1>Because I  F***ing love the in game effects with deck guns, 2> They would help with ship defense.

Give it twice the AA damage of an Anchor Station for star-fighter defense, remove any upgrades for star-fighters so you have to make a choice between an Anchor station or an Omega Defense Platform. 

Give it the first round nukes that the Halcyon has but with 1 and a half the reload rate so that the nuke missiles fire every 1st and 5th phase of combat, (Only available through Halcyon research, It's a purchasable slot for the starbase) give it a lower Archer damage value than normal to emphasize the nuke waves

Make it about as tanky as the standard TEC starbase when fully upgraded (minus shields of course). This would give it a large pool of health while still making it an expensive investment for the player 

Lastly give it 9 upgrade slots. 

Slot designation as follows

1. Weapons-->Stage 1 Deck Guns and multitudes of Helix AAA guns are emplaced on the station providing excellent fighter defense--->Stage 2 Multiple ARCHER missile silos are placed on the ODP giving it a long range attack--->Stage 3 Tactical Nuclear Missiles are placed on the starbase giving it an immensely powerful punch (increases all other weapons damage by 15%)

2.Superstructure Upgrades--> Stage 1 Multiple plates of ancillary Titanium A armor are placed on the starbase improving health and armor values--->Stage 2 Internal Engineering bays and supports are added increasing Health and armor--->Stage 3 Layer upon layer of MAC impact plated armor is placed on the station greatly improving armor and health values

3.Manufacturing--> Stage 1 Multiple repair and retrofitting bays are installed allowing the starbase to craft ships (40% efficiency)--->Stage 2 Additional engineering bays and staff are added to the starbase allowing it to construct fleets even faster(75% efficiency)---Stage 3 Hordes of Engineers are brought aboard the starbase allowing for large scale production of vessels (100% efficiency)--->Stage 4 Improvements in automation allow for jobs that were originally human held to be replaced by machinery. (125% Efficiency)

4.Trade-->Stage 1 Mercantile bays are added to the starbase allowing for a trickle of trade income to flow through (1-2Creds per second)-->Stage 2 Multiple bays are opened allowing for mercantile vessels to enter and leave the starbase with regularity (7-8 Creds per second)---> Stage 3 The starbase is converted from a weapons platform to a mercantile one allowing for massive trade income  (20 creds per second, WEAPONS DISABLED, can still build ships)

5.AI Enhancements ( Cost: 60 Antimatter Radius & antimatter ability 30 second duration)--> Stage 1 AI blocks are temporarily transferred from running the platform to analyzing and plotting enemy vessel movements (10% Increased range)-->Stage 2 More AI blocks are transferred over allowing for faster calculation of enemy movement (15% Increased range)-->Stage 3 AI blocks are completely transferred from starbase functions and slaved to computing enemy vessel movements for a short time (20% Increased range 10% less damage from starbase)

6. Weapon system enhancements (Cost: 80 Antimatter Radius & Antimatter ability 40 second duration can be cast with AI enhancements)--->Stage 1 Weapon firing patterns are computed faster for a brief time (10% increased reload speed for friendly vessels and SMAC stations)-->Stage 2 Weapon reload mechanisms are briefly enhanced allowing for even faster reload speeds (15% increased reload speed)---> Stage 3 Starbase AI's utilize an experimental algorithm allowing for increased recharge speed for MAC's and other weapon systems (20% faster reload speed)

7. Gamma directive---> Stage 1 All personnel except for a skeleton crew are evacuated form the station, the station then self destructs inflicting a large amount of damage on enemy vessels

These are some ideas I had for the station, my line of thought was that the Omega station needed to do 3 things very well 1 defend, 2 Buff friendly forces, 3 allow for a mercantile build for the starbase. I often find myself only building starbases for the economic benefits, by giving the Omega a better fleet build time than the anchor and a much better credit income rate it can become a 1 stop shop for economic buildings freeing up more logistic slots for more important stuff like research or fleet/ capital cruiser building facilities. With the system ideas I also wanted to make the starbase an extremely high priority target for enemy forces, by giving the base the potential to buff fleets and defenses near it, it become target number 1 in a gravity well.

Tl;DR: Make the station ridiculously powerful while allowing it to potentially buff fleets or even provide a large economic bonus on a planet. This will make it a prime target while still following the UNSC doctrine, that a fleet or even defenses are greater than the sum of their parts. 

Ex cineribus surgebaum

XBL GT: Same as username.

Commanding officer of the UNSC Buttmad

#27 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

I get the impression this is very much what the border will look like if Scotland becomes independent.

Speaking as a member of the Scottish population I can tell you it would be no where near as eloquent as this, :D

• Moustachio86 likes this

#28 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

<sarcasm> Personally i believe that the south east of England (London, South east, and east Anglia) should get its Independence from the UK, because we would not have to pay stupidly high taxes in order to keep the rest of the UK (in general) afloat. the business tax alone would mean we would never have to pay taxes and would in fact get tax returns of around £9000 a year. Then we can leave the rest of the UK to their own devices, No more benefits cheats, ever again. <end sarcasm>

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#29 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:16 AM

As much as I'd love to let this one run I must kind of nudge people back on topic. Problem is I don't think there's anything useful going to come out of this thread. You know the offensive star base is at least in a list of future features. I'd say it's in about the same situation as the Forerunners as a full faction. At this stage, it may or may not happen (see Lavo's post) and there are plenty of other things to be getting on with in the mean time. An offensive starbase plays mainly to those who just miss the vanilla starbases. SPECTRE, I'm not saying you clearly don't know how to defend but it does seem odd; I'm told people like Rovert can form an essentially unbreakable defence in game and for what it's worth I've had defences that can hold off entire covenant fleets, with minimal losses (hard A.I.). UNSC defences are an absolute bitch to balance but I think they're in a good place. Sure they'll probably need tweaks as the mod progresses but what you're looking at now is more than just a template. Throwing in a powerhouse of a station not only doesn't really apply to canon but it could well upset an already rather fine balance.

That said, I'm sure if and when the star base actually enters planning, people will know and ideas can then be flung around. Otherwise I really think it's best to just let this one lie. Discussion and argument has reached is maximal productivity for this topic, anything else is just going to result in frayed tempers and negative consequences.

#30 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

Agreed, I'll speak to Rovert then.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#31 ARC 179

ARC 179

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAWOL

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

Understood, I'll be there for the starbase ideas and features topic.

Ex cineribus surgebaum

XBL GT: Same as username.

Commanding officer of the UNSC Buttmad

#32 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Steam:RalphRoberts
  • LocationMain bridge of [REDACTED]

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Tactically placed.

When making defenses, one must always place the SMAC's, Hangers, SB's, and Repair platforms VERY close to one another. One must also use exactly 150 mines at the point where the enemy will warp into the system.

On topic, a military Starbase would be glorious for using in asteroid fields, to protect your assets from "aggressive Takeover" by the enemy.

Once upon a time, I played this game called Neo Scavenger. After being beaten to death several times, I decided I liked it.

#33 Cmdr Daefaron

Cmdr Daefaron

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Still say it should have some of these :P

Just found this concept art. The link labeled it as a "Planetary MAC"

829_max.jpg

Looks like something directly between Onager/Mini MAC and ship-based one.

#34 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

When making defenses, one must always place the SMAC's, Hangers, SB's, and Repair platforms VERY close to one another.

This is a terrible idea.

#35 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:14 AM

This is a terrible idea.

Not exactly, it all depends on where they are smushed together in the gravity well. I do this and keep them tight to my planet with Only sabre interceptors. But it is not without flaws, putting it at them edge of a gravity well and not tactically smushed (since that's possible somehow) will get plowed over.

#36 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

Thats the problem, too close to planet and they get swamped with fighters, too close to the phase in, and they can only get a couple of shots off.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#37 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Thats the problem, too close to planet and they get swamped with fighters, too close to the phase in, and they can only get a couple of shots off.

Not if you play your cards right, placing mines is a big part here. Ratios are usually another large part of defense, I do 1 Sabre hanger to 2 SMAC guns, if placed right with Sabre flak guns and interceptors, a fighter will never touch them. (assuming mines are placed to destroy carriers)

#38 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Makos? Anybody else use makos??
  • Cole Protocol likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#39 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

Lotsa makos and a few Thanatos. Also, you need an anchor. That thing is worth, what, 7 sabre hangars and can regenerate your fleet.

Not that I'm an expert by my best setup has been shit tons of mines around the cone of entry, and more further in if needed. A spread out layer of SMACs right at the edge to be a meat shield and take out a CAS or Super destroyer if you're lucky, then also to distract strike craft so sabres etc can get further in. Expect those to die.
SMACs guarding the planet all the way around but more in the direction of attack, I try and cluster them there. Sabre hangars interspersed but I don't rate sabre hangars in comparison to the anchor station so much. A few repair bays and a good fleet of damage-dealers (Paris and Thanatos) with a few support ships eg. Mako ships in this region. Never move the fleet out of range of the SMACs. That works for me but I'm sure there's flaws.

#40 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

ON average how many SMACs do you guys use?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users