#1 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Steam:RalphRoberts
  • LocationMain bridge of [REDACTED]

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Alrighty, I have made this thread before, and it ended in a horrible downward spiral into Star Wars talk. I never actually got my question answered.

So, is the Autumn-Class OP? It has tons of health, is easy to spam mid-late game, and can be used to capture entire enemy fleets when used correctly. It also has nukes.

Really all you need in a fleet is Autumns, A few valiants, a couple Thermopalyae's, and supporting Cradle/Mako/Charons. (Although I do like to throw in a couple Orions, they are magnificent ships.)

TL:DR Have I been playing against players who don't know how to build a proper Cov fleet, is the Autumn Supposed to be ROFLSTOMPING-the-enemy good, or am I just stupid/wrong/missing something?

Once upon a time, I played this game called Neo Scavenger. After being beaten to death several times, I decided I liked it.

#2 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Balancers: you're up!

#3 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

I think its fleet supply could go up. Its pretty much the same as the marathon and its price.

Combat wise they're pretty balanced.

Also i think both the halcyon and autumn should be take really long to build, it would take years to build the honeycomb mesh they have.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#4 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:42 PM

Just for fun id love to play a match with you as the covenant...hehehe

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#5 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:48 PM

The Athens is a one trick pony ability wise as it has no true support abilities. It's firepower is not significantly better than other UNSC ships, it has a double MAC like many other ships such as the Valiant, Thanatos, and Athens, albeit it does 3200 damage per shot rather than 3000. Every UNSC capital ship has nukes, even the inexpensive Marathon.

Assuming you throw in some combat frigates (Paris/Athens/Thanatos) to bolster your combat numbers, that fleet of yours should roflstomp an uncoordinated and unprepared Covvie fleet as it has an excellent combination of fleet firepower and support abilities. That being said it might need slight tweaking, but a fleet of Autumns on their own cannot do jack against the Covvies. But when properly supported, as your fleet very much is, they can pack a wallop.

• Moustachio86 and SternuS like this

#6 RalphRoberts

RalphRoberts

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Steam:RalphRoberts
  • LocationMain bridge of [REDACTED]

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

The Athens is a one trick pony ability wise as it has no true support abilities. It's firepower is not significantly better than other UNSC ships, it has a double MAC like many other ships such as the Valiant, Thanatos, and Athens, albeit it does 3200 damage per shot rather than 3000. Every UNSC capital ship has nukes, even the inexpensive Marathon.

Assuming you throw in some combat frigates (Paris/Athens/Thanatos) to bolster your combat numbers, that fleet of yours should roflstomp an uncoordinated and unprepared Covvie fleet as it has an excellent combination of fleet firepower and support abilities. That being said it might need slight tweaking, but a fleet of Autumns on their own cannot do jack against the Covvies. But when properly supported, as your fleet very much is, they can pack a wallop.

Yes, I forgot to mention in the OP that I fill out the rest of my fleet supply with Thanatos.

EDIT: Still didn't work.

Once upon a time, I played this game called Neo Scavenger. After being beaten to death several times, I decided I liked it.

#7 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Press enter after quoting someone

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#8 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Autumn-class cruisers are no match for my buffed CAS with 70k health and 100k shields.  excellent.gif

#9 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Autumn-class cruisers are no match for my buffed CAS with 70k health and 100k shields.  excellent.gif

CAS class isn't a match for even one SMAC.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#10 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

CAS class isn't a match for even one SMAC.

Canon says otherwise.  But stay on topic.

#11 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

Canon says otherwise.  But stay on topic.

Canon says neither. We've had this discussion.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#12 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Stay on topic.  I think the Autumns are very formidable, but in general I think the Covies need to be boosted.  Balance is one thing but UNSC can win against the Covenant (well except on my custom maps) late game and Infinity isn't even here yet.  I fear to see what a shielded  Autumn can do.

#13 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:51 PM

Canon says neither. We've had this discussion.

Cannon has no place in this topic, since the Autumn cruiser has almost no info on it. so please, lets get back to it shall we!

Im not balancing, but I find that the autumn is meeting its role well at the intended cost, and as i believe so does the other staff. But like I said, im not balancing so if they have something to say, listen to them.

• RalphRoberts likes this

#14 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Stay on topic. I think the Autumns are very formidable, but in general I think the Covies need to be boosted. Balance is one thing but UNSC can win against the Covenant (well except on my custom maps) late game and Infinity isn't even here yet. I fear to see what a shielded Autumn can do.

That's the idea lol.
With the Titans, the Covenant will get some effective late-game units and will be balanced differently. Right now, the UNSC should be able to win against the Covenant late game - it would be unbalanced if they couldn't...
  • RalphRoberts likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#15 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Cannon has no place in this topic, since the Autumn cruiser has almost no info on it. so please, lets get back to it shall we!

Im not balancing, but I find that the autumn is meeting its role well at the intended cost, and as i believe so does the other staff. But like I said, im not balancing so if they have something to say, listen to them.

*canon*

And you are confused. we're talking about the CAS and SMAC argument... again. Not the Autumn.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#16 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

That's the idea lol.
With the Titans, the Covenant will get some effective late-game units and will be balanced differently. Right now, the UNSC should be able to win against the Covenant late game - it would be unbalanced if they couldn't...

I'm sorry Titans? Units?  You have my attention.   And yeah that makes sense I am just worried that with Infinity the stompage will be epic.  That being said glassing would be a good balance as the UNSC would lose several key worlds early on and have a hard time recouping from that loss.

#17 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

If you're going to do the CAS/ SMAC argument take it somewhere else. Seriously.

And Stark, as Sloose said. That's the idea. The UNSC are supposed to outmatch the Covenant late game with quickly regenerating fleets and a powerhouse economy. They're turtle gameplay to begin and will lose more easily but are a sleeping giant. That's why most of the UNSC's good tech is late-game rather than the Covenant's early/mid domain. That's always been the way they were supposed to play. Changes will come but that's still the basic premise of the faction. Sorry if you were aware of that but your post seemed to imply you weren't.
  • SternuS and RalphRoberts like this

#18 Cole Protocol

Cole Protocol

Balancing Coder - Particle Effects Artist

• Mod Staff
  • 1,390 posts
  • Steam:Cole Protocol
  • LocationSpirit of Fire, chilling with the Enduring Conviction.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

I'm sorry Titans? Units?  You have my attention.  

You seem surprised to hear this, we let this go awhile back. Were adding more besides infinity. Stalwart, Strident, I think a few others maybe but I maybe wrong

#19 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

I'm sorry Titans? Units? You have my attention.

Obviously the Covenant will get a Titan. And obviously it will be balanced accordingly. It will probably get a noticeable buff from its current state. In addition, other balancing changes will be made to reflect a UNSC that can now stand up to the Covenant - we've bent canon before when it comes to numbers to make the mod playable - likely the same change will be made again.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#20 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

We did take it somewhere else. 

Also is the game balance tested with or without the DLCs? (more specifically the one that changed planet types with an upgrade, the one with social or economic society)

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users