14 replies to this topic

#1 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

Does anyone know when the various ships of halo lore entered service? I'm honestly not sure how many of the human ships were designed and fielded post 2525. From what I've seen it looks like most or all of the human ships presented up to halo 3 are all pre-war designs. Same with the covenant ships. I guess it just seems odd that it would take either side 25~ years to update or adapt their ships. 

#2 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

The Autumn can be confusing as it has been launched 3 or more times- during the innies war, was retired an brought out of mothballs for the covenant war, damaged at Arcadia and brought in again for a further refit prior to the invasion of Reach, and thats just the ones mentioned.
You could either sift through all those lore rich books, novels and comics, the halo encyclopedia and 2 visual guide books or do some searches on halopedia/halonation wikis. Course if you know anyone who works at 343I and has access to the halo bible(and ok with looking it up for you) that could help too. :)

#3 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

The Marathon was designed during the war and I am fairly certain the Valiant was.
Super Carrier was designed to fight Covvies so it was designed during the war.
The Destroyer (Thanatos) might of been... it was designed to replace the Gorgon but that ship was REALLY old so the Thanny may be pre-war.
I don't know about the frigates... it is possible some of them were. Frigate is usually used interchangeably and there are some confirmed to be prewar but whether or not they are Charon, Paris, etc. is unknown.

The Covenant not changing ships is understandable. The don't actually research their stuff, just copy Forerunners tech they find. Historically it takes several centuries if not a millennium for major changes to happen with Covvie tech because that is how long it takes them to find new forerunner structures. Since they were fighting humanity not a lot of searching was going on... a few relics were discovered here and there, though.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#4 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

Anything with two MACs was produced during the war. UNSC ships pre-war only sported 1 MAC and a measly handful of Archer missiles because it didn't take a whole lot for a UNSC ship to cripple another UNSC-made Innie ship.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

Anything with two MACs was produced during the war. UNSC ships pre-war only sported 1 MAC and a measly handful of Archer missiles because it didn't take a whole lot for a UNSC ship to cripple another UNSC-made Innie ship.

Can you recall was the Gorgon the first to test the MAC or the first destroyer class to test it after other larger ship classes?

#6 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

Can you recall was the Gorgon the first to test the MAC or the first destroyer class to test it after other larger ship classes?

Gorgon, stated in The Impossible life and possible death of Admiral Preston Cole. (The title was right or wrong?)
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#7 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

I believe it was the first human ship to ever be produced with a MAC, a marvel of technology at the time.
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#8 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

The UNSC Gorgon was a heavy destroyer that served during the early years of the Insurrection and later the Human-Covenant War. It was the first vessel of its class to be armed with a Magnetic Accelerator Cannon, which held only three rounds. The Gorgon was commanded by then-Captain Preston Cole.

Cole led the vessel in numerous confrontations against Insurrectionist forces in the first years of the 26th century. Most notably, it thrice engaged the insurgent-controlled Bellicose, which escaped twice and fought Cole to a draw once. In 2502, the Gorgon was laid up in a space dock for repairs after the Skirmish at Capella, which cost the lives of thirty-two of its crew members. The rest of the crew was granted a month of leave.

In the early years of the Human-Covenant War, Gorgon was assigned to now-Admiral Cole's fleet. Ensign William Lovell served aboard the Gorgon for four years. In this time, the ship's crew witnessed the glassing of a dozen worlds.

So you can assume that ships in the early 2500s didn't even have MACs. The Halcyon was built in 2510 to combat insurrectionists and only had 6 archer missile pods at the time of construction. We all know later in the war that ship were given more, oversized archer pods and more MACs.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the input. And I just remembered that in the halo wars comic that shipped with the special edition they perform some sort of mission aboard a disabled Marathon cruiser. So marathons have been around and in use since at least 2531. And I bet the Thanatos class came about around the same time. Frigates being pre-war sounds legit

#10 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the input. And I just remembered that in the halo wars comic that shipped with the special edition they perform some sort of mission aboard a disabled Marathon cruiser. So marathons have been around and in use since at least 2531. And I bet the Thanatos class came about around the same time. Frigates being pre-war sounds legit

Yeah, Spirit of Fire & co. had to enforce the Cole Protocol on a disabled Marathon that was leaking heavy radiation from it's reactor. Don't remember exact details but I know the radioactivity was fucking with the AI and they couldn't force it to self destruct (conjecture from here in out) so they had to manually detonate it. They rescued whatever survivors but Serina dismissed them altogether because they would die of radiation poisoning from being in such close proximity to a reactor leaking heavy radiological material for so long.
Anyways, on topic, I'd imagine that frigates came later in the Innie war when everyone realized Halcyons blew dick and numbers would win the war over quality of the vessel. Destroyers, though, were probably designed a little bit before the human-covie war, but considering they were so heavily armed when only a couple of archer pods and one MAC could trash any UNSC ship suggests otherwise. Probably 2525-2535.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:03 AM

We see in halo legends their was a class of frigate in use at the colonization era along side the phoenix class colony ships so it is safe to assume that their have always been frigates, cruisers and destroyers in some form or another throughout the UNSC/UEG's history.
  • MrChipps and SternuS like this

#12 Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Fleet Admiral agigabyte

Necromancer Supreme, agig did 9/11 2015

• Authorized Playtester
  • 1,723 posts
  • Steam:Fleet Admiral agigabyte
  • LocationUNSC Skrubtester

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Frigs were there throughout FoR.
WE WILL RIP THEIR SKULLS FROM THEIR SPINES, AND TOSS THEM AWAY, LAUGHIN'!

Oh, I know what the ladies like... -Sarge Johnson

God have mercy on whatever alien race discovers this forum long after the human race destroys itself -Crisiss

Quotes from anywhere
Spoiler
[/quote]

#13 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

I'm pretty sure Firgates were the first vessels realised by the UNSC, as we can see in Origins. It'd be interesting to know the exact data for every ship-class entered into service.

• SPECTRE likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#14 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

The frigates may have at one point been considered a battle cruiser, but due to growing standards, Population and resources, they were quickly outdone.

In ancient history, the pyramids were considered very tall.

In later history, the tower of pisa was considered likewise.

In the 20th century the statue of liberty and empire state were.

But consider that to Burj khafila, they;re ankles.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#15 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

The frigates may have at one point been considered a battle cruiser, but due to growing standards, Population and resources, they were quickly outdone.
In ancient history, the pyramids were considered very tall.
In later history, the tower of pisa was considered likewise.
In the 20th century the statue of liberty and empire state were.
But consider that to Burj khafila, they;re ankles.

Exactly this. If we built a Super Carrier it'd be a holy-fucking-shit-thisthingisfuckinghuge-class fortress ship, not just a super carrier.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users