• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cqbkris

cqbkris

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:40 AM

So as you are aware, once you build a SMAC, you have to build the generators on the planet (done passively iirc) before you can fire the guns. Well, my problem is that this cooldown (for the "Power Generator Construction" ability) seems to be around 17,280,000 seconds long. Now, I'm preeeetty sure that it shouldn't be that long. I'm running version 1.80.4976 if that helps.

I tried searching the forums, googling, everything. But so far nothing came up. I don't know if I just need to change a character or two in the mod files or if I should update my version? How do I reduce this cooldown time to its proper length?

Thanks for helping me solve the reason why my defense networks are so lacking.

o7

#2 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

Its supposed to be like 70s or something, its supposed to be longer than it currently is but i've seen SMACs fire the second they've been built.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#3 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

Its supposed to be like 70s or something, its supposed to be longer than it currently is but i've seen SMACs fire the second they've been built.

I'd imagine it takes a second for the ability to kick in. If they're at the right angle they could probably shoot as soon as they're built

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:37 AM

No thats not what we mean.

After you build a SMAC there is a cool down until you can use it this fellow here has the problem that the cooldown is absurdly long.

My problem is that sometimes it doesn't work at all.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#5 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:09 AM

This needs a little clarification. The ability itself disables the SMAC once it is built which forces you to plan ahead and build them before the enemy arrive. The length of this effect is only like 5 minutes or so. It's designed as an alternative to making the build times super long, because it forces you to plan ahead but doesn't tie up constructors for too long.

The cool down is indeed ridiculously long, but that's a good thing, it means the SMAC won't be disabled again. The ability is the construction of the generators and takes around 5 minutes, the cool down is the time between the ability being able to be active so you want to it be as long as possible. Basically it's a result of only wanting the ability to fire once but I think that number is the upper limit on cooldowns.

Does that clear it up?

Also, SPECTRE, if you're having that issue can you put it in the bug reports and I'll confirm it for fixing!
  • Lavo likes this

#6 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:21 AM

Sure I'll post it on bitbucket when i get home.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#7 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

The cool down is indeed ridiculously long, but that's a good thing, it means the SMAC won't be disabled again. The ability is the construction of the generators and takes around 5 minutes, the cool down is the time between the ability being able to be active so you want to it be as long as possible. Basically it's a result of only wanting the ability to fire once but I think that number is the upper limit on cooldowns.

This. Though iirc I've managed to make it into a passive ability, which should be on the beta right now.

#8 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

So as you are aware, once you build a SMAC, you have to build the generators on the planet (done passively iirc) before you can fire the guns. Well, my problem is that this cooldown (for the "Power Generator Construction" ability) seems to be around 17,280,000 seconds long. Now, I'm preeeetty sure that it shouldn't be that long. I'm running version 1.80.4976 if that helps.

I tried searching the forums, googling, everything. But so far nothing came up. I don't know if I just need to change a character or two in the mod files or if I should update my version? How do I reduce this cooldown time to its proper length?

Thanks for helping me solve the reason why my defense networks are so lacking.

o7

Not a bug - intended behavior. This ability is to prevent your constructors being tied up for 5 minutes to build a single SMAC platform. Instead, an autocast ability fires, disabling the platform for 5 minutes. The excessively long cooldown is to prevent the ability from knocking out the platform again. However...

This can sometimes happen, because the ability autocast can sometimes take a bit to happen, during which it can fire once. Which is why...

iirc I've managed to make it into a passive ability, which should be on the beta right now.

This is a much better solution, as it will happen instantly. And it causes less confusion. And it is on the beta version, unless it's been removed.

• SternuS likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#9 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

Just to clarify for you commoners who don't understand SoaSE terminology: You will no longer see the wacky long number that frightens you once we release the next update. The SMAC will be disable for a few minutes after building, and then it will clearly do its job after that for the duration of the match.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#10 David0425

David0425

Petty Officer Second Class

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Steam:dtw0425
  • LocationEarth, Homefleet, UNSC Glorious Warrior

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Just to clarify for you commoners who don't understand SoaSE terminology: You will no longer see the wacky long number that frightens you once we release the next update. The SMAC will be disable for a few minutes after building, and then it will clearly do its job after that for the duration of the match.

Yeah, big numbers confuse me.

Big numbers bad, really bad  :blink:

"They must love the smell of Green." Thanks SOTP Modding team for all your Hard work, and effort in this mod!<br />
-Sergeant Avery Johnson,Halo 3<br />
Spoiler

#11 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

DID SOMEBODY SAY UPDATE

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Maybe we should do the same thing all the Android app developers do:

Changelog:

Update v1.012.31321 -> v1.013.21112

• Performance Enhancements
  • Bug Fixes

• Aunt Gruntie and Lavo like this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#13 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

<p>

Maybe we should do the same thing all the Android app developers do:

Changelog:
Update v1.012.31321 -> v1.013.21112

• Performance Enhancements
  • Bug Fixes

Bug fixes? Why would the Covenant ever need fixes?
In all seriousness, I think the factions are amazingly balanced, at least until the Forerunners come in. Unless you add new UNSC or Covie units I would love it if you scaled the Forerunners to the already set ships. Honestly, the rush of the game is waiting for 10 seconds to get enough money to pump a Paris out to fight off the enemy fleet. So great.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

Bug fixes? Why would the Covenant ever need fixes?
In all seriousness, I think the factions are amazingly balanced, at least until the Forerunners come in. Unless you add new UNSC or Covie units I would love it if you scaled the Forerunners to the already set ships. Honestly, the rush of the game is waiting for 10 seconds to get enough money to pump a Paris out to fight off the enemy fleet. So great.

UNSC and Covenant will be balanced against each other with some holes left deliberately to fill in if and when we work on the Forerunner. FR comes last.

#15 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

UNSC and Covenant will be balanced against each other with some holes left deliberately to fill in if and when we work on the Forerunner. FR comes last.

Can you specify on those holes? If not that's fine, I just hope it's not anything too substantial for my Human-Covenant war games.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#16 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

Can you specify on those holes? If not that's fine, I just hope it's not anything too substantial for my Human-Covenant war games.

We just know there are things the UNSC and Covenant may not be able to counter well, those things will go into the FR. That's all we have to say about the FR for now.

#17 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

We just know there are things the UNSC and Covenant may not be able to counter well, those things will go into the FR. That's all we have to say about the FR for now.

Fair enough. Thank you.

Spoiler

Spoiler

#18 cqbkris

cqbkris

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

Thank you everyone, you've all been very kind. I uninstalled my current version and reinstalled the newer one. The SMAC duration seems to be fixed. Thank you :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users