• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 pointxiv

pointxiv

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

So, just started playing the beta. And noticed the flood are a bit...well, disgustingly overpowered. Fifteen minutes into the game, and I had a massive fleet of flood ships come and attack me, and captured my two capital ships and 15 frigates/cruisers in less than a minute.

Are they supposed to be this way? I'l remember to turn the option off next time.

It also doesn't help that they don't even need to kill ships to take them over.

This isn't as much of a problem late game, with more resources, but when it's early game and income is around 3 a second for crystal/metal, one flood attack can cripple an empire if the enemy attacks right afterwards.

#2 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

They are supposed to be that way. Make sure to bribe their aggression against your enemies when you're still building up your minefields.

#3 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Flood are an additional challenge to the AI you're already facing. They are not meant for every game and not everyone is fit to face them. They are the challenge for the Mantel, afterall.
  • Burny007 and ahunter257 like this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#4 pointxiv

pointxiv

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Fair enough! As long as it's supposed to be like that.

#5 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

As long as you fire off that nuke, you should be fine

#6 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

As long as you fire off that nuke, you should be fine

That'll wipe out about half of the fleet, give or take
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#7 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

That'll wipe out about half of the fleet, give or take

if you hit the right ship at the perfect moment, you can usually wipe out all the infection ships, but this requires great amounts of timing and ship placement

#8 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

I think we're going to nerf the Infection research. People are rushing to it and using it in ways we didn't intend.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#9 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

What if you made the Infection Research only the second or third level of that last slot, and replace the first rank (Maybe add a second as well) with something like "Spartan Raids" that blow up one structure or do minor planet damage to enemy planets at random? That way people can research the randomized damage perk without it breaking the game.
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#10 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

What if you made the Infection Research only the second or third level of that last slot, and replace the first rank (Maybe add a second as well) with something like "Spartan Raids" that blow up one structure or do minor planet damage to enemy planets at random? That way people can research the randomized damage perk without it breaking the game.

Not possible... hardcoding.
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#11 Reaper_Armada

Reaper_Armada

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

I like the food how they are but perhaps the range in which they are able to the over a ship is a bit drastic, also another thing I was thinking off is maybe the speed in which they take over a ship should be lengthened, don't know if it's possible though. I think I'll have to self destruct ships if they get too close for the meantime. Maybe another option is to make sure self destruct times are shortened so this is easier. Just some thoughts. Love the beta so far however keep up your outstanding work.
Your ascension will only be mirrored by your distruction. Your greatest civilisations doomed to fall. Our arrival shall darken the skies of every world.

#12 Reaper_Armada

Reaper_Armada

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

Flood*
Your ascension will only be mirrored by your distruction. Your greatest civilisations doomed to fall. Our arrival shall darken the skies of every world.

#13 rundown

rundown

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

self destruct still works if the ship is taken over. As long as you hit self destruct befor it was taken over. Trust me it works go try it

#14 Reaper_Armada

Reaper_Armada

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Ah awesome. Didn't know it worked even after it had been taken over. I still think the range at which ships can be taken over is too far. Funny thing was when my Spartan boarding parties took over flood ships haha

#15 Vrishnak92

Vrishnak92

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWhere the fun stays

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I know that it is possible to set a delay to the ability in when it takes effect after activation, I'd have to get ahold of my friend if you need help with this, but my thought with the flood ships is that their should be a particle effect for the ships that are being infected, to allow some visual indication of the ships in danger, & as for range, it should be reduced drastically if you consider canon material mentioning how infected ships would get in extreme close quarters.
One thing that should be nerfed or removed Is the UNSC's flood research which is the TECs equivalent of insurrection. I'd cut the fleet sent to a 1/3 of its current size. Otherwise in the late game, whoever chugs out that research first would only have to focus on defense, as the constant flood attacks would wipe out his/her opposition

#16 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

One thing that should be nerfed or removed Is the UNSC's flood research which is the TECs equivalent of insurrection. I'd cut the fleet sent to a 1/3 of its current size. Otherwise in the late game, whoever chugs out that research first would only have to focus on defense, as the constant flood attacks would wipe out his/her opposition

this has been heavily nerfed in the playtester version, i was playing a game earlier where the AI got infection, my base defenses handled the raids just fine (5-6 SMACs, 3-5 Sabre Hangars, and an anchor station with 2 fighter upgrades)

#17 Vrishnak92

Vrishnak92

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Try researching both levels of infection... The fleet sizes drastically increase. The last game I played with me & Just a couple of ais I researched both levels & in almost no time at all I won by flood default. After pressing the "keep playing" button, I discovered flood fleet sizes ranging well over the hundreds(no flood planet either). So a, I hit some sort of glitch, or b nerfing is required

#18 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

Try researching both levels of infection... The fleet sizes drastically increase. The last game I played with me & Just a couple of ais I researched both levels & in almost no time at all I won by flood default. After pressing the "keep playing" button, I discovered flood fleet sizes ranging well over the hundreds(no flood planet either). So a, I hit some sort of glitch, or b nerfing is required

Public beta or playtester version?

#19 Vrishnak92

Vrishnak92

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Considering I'm not marked as a playtester... I'm pretty sure it's the public beta(unless some freak error happened in the process of downloading)

#20 Guest_Golly_*

Guest_Golly_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

Which is frankly annoying, I don't know who is and isn't one of us now.

We need playtester ranks, plis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users