9 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

As I was playing the other day I was wondering if there were any plans in the works on making the forerunner portal a bit smaller, kind of like in vanilla where the portal was only in the middle of the gravity well.  Its kind of obstructive the way it is now. Or is it just me?  

Cheers,

#2 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

It's a good point, however there is an alternative fix in the works if you're concerned about it appearing at annoying times (like when you're looking at a different gravity well) which is that the team should be making the total galaxy size bigger; so planets are more spread out. This should avoid issues like that.

There's also a reason why I think making the model smaller possibly wouldn't work, if you think about vanilla, it's just a flat disk. The issue with having the model inside the gravity well is that ships will just fly straight through the structure itself, rather than now when they can't physically reach the outer edges due to gravity well limits, does that make sense? I have no idea what a proper coder's thoughts are on this; those are just my first thoughts.

#3 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

actually, the model is intended to be large, giving you perspective on just how big forerunner structures are

• Bornstellaris likes this

#4 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Making the thing smaller would not work. If it was any smaller, how could ships hope to fit in there?

#5 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Truth on all accounts.  It does work a lot better when the galaxy is spread out.  The vessels could immediately warp as soon as they hit the edge of the structure if it were planet sized.

#6 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

It's a good point, however there is an alternative fix in the works if you're concerned about it appearing at annoying times (like when you're looking at a different gravity well) which is that the team should be making the total galaxy size bigger; so planets are more spread out. This should avoid issues like that.

There's also a reason why I think making the model smaller possibly wouldn't work, if you think about vanilla, it's just a flat disk. The issue with having the model inside the gravity well is that ships will just fly straight through the structure itself, rather than now when they can't physically reach the outer edges due to gravity well limits, does that make sense? I have no idea what a proper coder's thoughts are on this; those are just my first thoughts.

What the fuck? I haven't heard about any galaxy spreading. I'd be opposed to it. The portal can cause minor issues on very rare occasions. In other words it's fine for a mod.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#7 Lavo

Lavo

Grand Master Modder/Design Lead

• Mod Staff
  • 713 posts
  • LocationNot Uni's Basement

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

What the fuck? I haven't heard about any galaxy spreading. I'd be opposed to it. The portal can cause minor issues on very rare occasions. In other words it's fine for a mod.

It's not actually spreading the galaxy. I'll explain it to you in private.

#8 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

It's not actually spreading the galaxy. I'll explain it to you in private.

That would require a galaxy knife and a room temperature galaxy. And possibly galaxy toast

• sloosecannon and Defender0 like this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#9 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

Lol I tested a map with a 1,000 unit radius.  Covenant godstomp because of how much faster their fleets are.

#10 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

Sorry Uni, it has been approved by Lavo as a good idea a while back and has been on bitbucket for some time; I probably explained it badly. Lavo, thanks for explaining it, I probably should have left it to you in the first place.

Stark; the solution also involved speeding up the default slips pace travel speed so the net result on both factions is zero. Otherwise you're right it would be an issue. It's purely to avoid the clustering of planets that happens sometimes, it's not meant to have an effect on gameplay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users