40 replies to this topic

#1 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

Okay so the tittle is kinda missleading. I really like halo 4 actually. The graphics are beautiful and the cut scenes are stunning. The game play is different from previous games but it still feels like a halo game, and above all else it's cool to finally see humanity on the rise.

However, 343 did quite a few things that also made me cringe.

Almost immdeiately I noticed that the rear section of the FUD had been replaced with that of a Stalwart frigate. It may seem weird but I think this is the thing that bothered me the most in halo 4.

Also, I don't like that they so radically changed the chiefs armor. Don't get me wrong, his armor in halo 4 looks more boss than ever, but it simply could not have changed like that while he was floating through space. alone.

343 also slacked off at some important points. Alot of the explosions and destruction effects look flat out cheap. Like the part in the beginning where they destroy a CRS with a missile. It just kinda breaks in half and floats away. Pretty dissapionting compared to the damage effects in halo 3.

And last but not least, Spartan ops. Spartan Ops was a very neat idea. The execution however was totally sub par. All they did was recycle campaign and multiplayer levels. The voice acting in spartan ops was... just kinda poor. And it all got very repetetive. The cinematics once again shine here. But the actual game play was quite lack luster.

Inspite of all these things I still like halo 4 though. The campaign was pretty epic, the multiplayer is arguably the best yet, and I'm totally enthralled with the story line. If 343 has learned anything at all, and if microsoft doesn't force unreasonable time tables on them then I think the next 2 games will be home runs.

Tell me what pissed you guys off about halo 4.

• SternuS likes this

#2 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Tell me what pissed you guys off about halo 4.

Exactly what youve pointed out and nothing else actually

#3 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:20 AM

Campaign too short.

Campaign was bad (I hate Prometheans)

Spartan ops only for gold members.

Otherwise it was OK.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#4 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

Totally agree but add in SPECTRE's point about Spartan Ops being for gold. I never even played the 2nd series, just watched the cutscenes online like it's a cutdown RVB or something.

The CRS explosion nearly put me off the whole game. It was just about the cheapest visual effect in a series which traditionally shows off most in it's first mission.

#5 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:36 AM

Doing this almost two years after its release is quite odd.

I agree with the majority of your post, but I still have to correct you on some parts.

1-It's replaced with a Strident, not a Stalwart. But I get your point and I completely agree.

2-They explained that Cortana actually changed his armour with...nanotechnology? But it really doesn't look like Chief's armour anymore.

3-Completely agree. What I can't stand is the explosion of Phantoms, which is quite awkward and Lich's one too. CRS explosion is very poor, too.

4-Again I completely agree, they turned a good idea to a recycled money-grabber sub-campaign. At least they had the decency to stop at the first season (which, gladly, I had for free with the LE).

Another point is that they cut out Firefight. That, with Theater mode missing, still makes me doubt about the future of Halo.

Also, most parts of the Campaign which, as SPECTRE said, is too short, are repetitive or boring (the constant button-pressing objective and the whole Shutdown mission...man they ruined the Pelican flight, it's absolutely useless and boring as hell).

But you know what? All of these points would be less important if it had a better soundtrack. Now don't get me wrong: some tracks are quite, quite good, but most of the time I can barely hear it. Seriously, it's too fucking low during the battles and the cutscenes. And sometimes there isn't even a music playing in the background! In Reclaimer, when you run with the Mammoth, an awesome music starts playing...but then after the first battle area it STOPS! For the entire level, until you enter the Forerunner construct, there is absolutely no soundtrack.

The soundtrack is part of Halo. Heck, Halo wouldn't even had its glory without O'Donnell's music.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#6 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:42 AM

I agree with the majority of your post, but I still have to correct you on some parts.

1-It's replaced with a Strident, not a Stalwart. But I get your point and I completely agree.

2-They explained that Cortana actually changed his armour with...nanotechnology? But it really doesn't look like Chief's armour anymore.

But you know what? All of these points would be less important if it had a better soundtrack. Now don't get me wrong: some tracks are quite, quite good, but most of the time I can barely hear it. Seriously, it's too fucking low during the battles and the cutscenes. And sometimes there isn't even a music playing in the background! In Reclaimer, when you run with the Mammoth, an awesome music starts playing...but then after the first battle area it STOPS! For the entire level, until you enter the Forerunner construct, there is absolutely no soundtrack.

The soundtrack is part of Halo. Heck, Halo wouldn't even had its glory without O'Donnell's music.

I thought the soundtrack was good, it was a change to marty.

Stalwart? you mean charon? I like to think the nacelles can be pulled in when not in use.

MKVI armour sucked beforehand, it looked far too muscle curiass, it should be more Linothorax in style. It looks far more war machine now.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#7 Slayeh215

Slayeh215

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

I enjoyed the campaign, the environments (especiallly Requiem) looked nice, music was pretty nice as well. What killed it for me was multiplayer, some parts of Forge, and the lack of easy community file sharing.

#8 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

oh yeah. Strident haha. At this point I'm pretty much pinning my hopes on the idea that 343 learned from halo 4 and did some soul searching. I hope that pretty much all of their staff has played all the games and read most or all of the books. Someone who doesn't know the halo universe like the back of thier hand SHOULD NOT be creating new content for the halo universe. Then again isn't the entire story of halo pre-written in the bible? (the halo bible). If thats true it's not the content but the presentation that was botched.

#9 Moustachio86

Moustachio86

UniMinion

• Contributor
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:45 AM

What killed it for me was ... the lack of easy community file sharing.

This. God this. Halo 3's 'Top Maps/Gametypes/Videos/Screenshots of the week' combined with file sharing was one of the absolute best parts of the multiplayer, it kept it fresh and alive. It meant I could actually appreciate other people's forge maps and they could (potentially) appreciate mine. With the power that Halo 4 forge should have offered, that could have been a flagpole feature and would have kept me interested a lot longer. They lost that with Reach, somehow by making forge easier it lost some of the charm and file browsing was frustrating if not downright infuriating at times.

#10 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

This. God this. Halo 3's 'Top Maps/Gametypes/Videos/Screenshots of the week' combined with file sharing was one of the absolute best parts of the multiplayer, it kept it fresh and alive. It meant I could actually appreciate other people's forge maps and they could (potentially) appreciate mine. With the power that Halo 4 forge should have offered, that could have been a flagpole feature and would have kept me interested a lot longer. They lost that with Reach, somehow by making forge easier it lost some of the charm and file browsing was frustrating if not downright infuriating at times.

What always confused me is how the hell people made that Indiana Jones map and game type, with all the traps and shit.

I hate how Fileshare is such a pain.

Didn't they discontinue it to prevent mods, hacks, and cheats being easily distributed?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#11 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:15 PM

They fucking killed Cortana and then labeled Halsey a terrorist, Along with the fucking UNSC suddenly having 'Morals' Fuck outta here 343.

• JasonAHawkins and Crisiss like this

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - UNSC play through

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z31qnK9A6Ns Part 1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=36Fxu7LQ-gE Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GvGB87lwebg Part 3

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWpYkrVkiuI Part 4

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - Covenant play through coming soon

#12 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

• Members
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

They fucking killed Cortana and then labeled Halsey a terrorist, Along with the fucking UNSC suddenly having 'Morals' Fuck outta here 343.

Shit changes.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#13 Eliteempire

Eliteempire

The Mouth Breather

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Shit changes.

Bull-shit changes none the less.

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - UNSC play through

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=z31qnK9A6Ns Part 1

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=36Fxu7LQ-gE Part 2

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GvGB87lwebg Part 3

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QWpYkrVkiuI Part 4

Sins of the Prophet's Let's Player - Covenant play through coming soon

#14 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

I thought the soundtrack was good, it was a change to marty.

Stalwart? you mean charon? I like to think the nacelles can be pulled in when not in use.

MKVI armour sucked beforehand, it looked far too muscle curiass, it should be more Linothorax in style. It looks far more war machine now.

It was indeed a change to Marty, and I repeat, some tracks are quite good...but many aren't. It's not enough solemn...

Nono, I mean Strident. The model is exactly the same. Before it was a Charon, and then in Halo 4 the FuD magically transformed into a Strident.

Ah I get the reference, but linothorax-style would be ridiculous in the 26th century. Now it does look more "tank", but I can't say I prefer it to the old one.

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#15 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Most of the aesthetic changes, aside from the environments (arguably the best part of the game was the landscapes and scenes), really killed it for me. While I'm a huge proponent on everything the OP posted, I can't get over how 343 changed the look of Halo in a bad way. Halo went from sharp edges to smooth curves in one game and their explanation is a few years have passed. The Warthog and everything ripped from Reach with texture tweaks (Ghost, Wraith, Scorpion, Phantom lol) were okay, though I couldn't help but notice the texture quality and shaders being shit compared to Reach.

My biggest let down was the competitive balance in multiplayer. It really sucked. The killstreak drops really ruined the game for me, no matter how good I was, because I just prefer the old arena shooter I fell in love with. There weren't nearly enough games that were classic, and I feel anything that isn't on par to Halo 3's multiplayer isn't really Halo gameplay at all (seriously, Halo CE-3 all felt cohesive with one another. Everything past 3 was just not the same and tried to be too innovative). Plus the fact that the guns you unlock are not balanced with each other at all really ruins the game for me. AR < BR < DMR < Carbine < Light Rifle. Kill times are so fucked up on all the weapons and I know certain weapons excel in certain situations, which is great, but when kill times for precision weapons are not balanced with each other and one specific weapon dominates another, its just not fun. If the Light Rifle has the fastest kill time out of all the other precision based weapons, why use anything else? Majority of the time you won't win unless you pull pocket grenades and go for the one-shot.

Armor in this game really pissed me off, too. It was just a step back for me. Halo 3 had cool new sets, and they all looked like the served a specialized function. Reach went an extra mile and while they added new armor sets and updated pre-existing ones, they also added a lot of neat little tidbits like ammo pouches and bandoliers, etc. that made you feel like the ultimate badass. Halo 4 is just clean and bland and just boring to me. I get that its post war, but I just feel the way Reach went it showed that there really is a place to put all this ammo your Spartan lugs around rather than pulling it from the ass. While I hated Reach's multiplayer, they did good on the looks of the game, and I feel Halo 4 could have been much better.

I could go on and on about this, but I just feel its pointless really. New people come into the new generation and they think its the epitome of Halo without having played the other games online. Kids these days, I can only scoff because I'm a jaded old man.

• Bornstellaris, SternuS and Lavo like this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#16 JasonAHawkins

JasonAHawkins

Loves Bornsteller, who wouldn't?

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

SPOILER ALERT When you go to fight the didact all you get is a god damn QTE and bam, you're done. I am used to fighting brutes with massive gravity hammers and I get this POS "boss fight"?

Bornsteller is so good of a modeler that he should be on the cover of Victoria Secret.™

#17 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:23 PM

2-They explained that Cortana actually changed his armour with...nanotechnology? But it really doesn't look like Chief's armour anymore

Becaws spaece mageec lolilolololol

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#18 Rovert10

Rovert10

Balance Team

• Mod Staff
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

I don't even buy Halo games anymore. The last one I bought was Halo 3.

I can't be bothered to get Reach, ODST, nor Halo 4. The only thing I do for Halo games is wait for a walkthrough and I just watch the cutscenes to get the story line that comes out of them. I wasn't overly impressed with the campaign story wise either. Felt like time to beat this episode's villain when I was watching it, rather than the grand struggle for survival Halo 1-3 were. They tried to put some character or whatever in MC and Cortana. But frankly, I just sat there and couldn't give much of a damn.

• Aunt Gruntie likes this

#19 Jaeger

Jaeger

WarRanger2034

• Banned
  • 1,025 posts
  • Steam:WarRanger2034
  • LocationDeveloping the cure for the Flood

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

I hated the way they tried to make chief human and explore his story like wtf? He is a gentically engineered badass super soldier ment to have no emotion or story centric character and you wanna give him fucking emotions? I felt the whole cortana going rampant was a good idea but implemented poorly as to me it seemed as if they just want to by halo 6 have chief and cortana on a beach house with kids or something stupid. 

The levels were pretty good but once again the story was what killed them with Chief seeming to be more worried over cortana then actually making sure they survive to fix her if its possible.

The biggest thing to get me was the UNSC making everything all smooth and curved with their reasoning being "a few years went by" that makes no god damn sense We build apartments today that look like ones made in the 50s? So tell me why the hell the UNSC goes from sharp angles to smooth and curved in 5 years when even after 60 years a lot of our buildings are built to look like each other. I get the infinty because it was a one off gamble to hold off the Covies but why change your entire fucking ships designs?

When I die, please bury me deep! Place an MA5 down by my feet! Don't cry for me, don't shed no tear! Just pack my box with PT gear! 'Cuz one early morning 'bout zero five! The ground will rumble, there'll be lightning in the sky! Don't you worry, don't come undone! It's just my ghost on a PT run!”

Veni, Vidi, Vici!

#20 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 18 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

I hated the way they tried to make chief human and explore his story like wtf? He is a gentically engineered badass super soldier ment to have no emotion or story centric character and you wanna give him fucking emotions? I felt the whole cortana going rampant was a good idea but implemented poorly as to me it seemed as if they just want to by halo 6 have chief and cortana on a beach house with kids or something stupid.

The levels were pretty good but once again the story was what killed them with Chief seeming to be more worried over cortana then actually making sure they survive to fix her if its possible.

The biggest thing to get me was the UNSC making everything all smooth and curved with their reasoning being "a few years went by" that makes no god damn sense We build apartments today that look like ones made in the 50s? So tell me why the hell the UNSC goes from sharp angles to smooth and curved in 5 years when even after 60 years a lot of our buildings are built to look like each other. I get the infinty because it was a one off gamble to hold off the Covies but why change your entire fucking ships designs?

Second paragraph I understood. What the fuck were you trying to say in the other two..?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users