• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Digital Communist

Digital Communist

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

First post here, great mod, enjoying it immensely.

I have a few suggestions that I feel could be used to potentially improve the Flood conversion mechanic.

1. Flood spores work like the boarding party ability used by the Corsev Battlecruiser from Sins: Rebellion
    http://sinsofasolare.../Boarding_Party
  2. Or, multiple Flood spores are required to take over larger ships. Perhaps combine this with the 'boarding party' mechanic to allow ships to be destroyed and converted by stacking damage from multiple Flood boarding parties.
  3. And lastly, all shielded ships are immune to flood spores while the shields are up. (This would include the future UNSC Infinity).

I have a genuine question regarding the last point. It was my recollection from the Halo series that shields provided immunity to Flood spores (until the shields were down). This would greatly help Covenant ships deal with Flood, which sorely lack anti-fighter capability needed to deal with spores in their current form.

#2 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:31 PM

First post here, great mod, enjoying it immensely.

I have a few suggestions that I feel could be used to potentially improve the Flood conversion mechanic.

1. Flood spores work like the boarding party ability used by the Corsev Battlecruiser from Sins: Rebellion
    http://sinsofasolare.../Boarding_Party
  2. Or, multiple Flood spores are required to take over larger ships. Perhaps combine this with the 'boarding party' mechanic to allow ships to be destroyed and converted by stacking damage from multiple Flood boarding parties.
  3. And lastly, all shielded ships are immune to flood spores while the shields are up. (This would include the future UNSC Infinity).

I have a genuine question regarding the last point. It was my recollection from the Halo series that shields provided immunity to Flood spores (until the shields were down). This would greatly help Covenant ships deal with Flood, which sorely lack anti-fighter capability needed to deal with spores in their current form.

1 and 2 are ruled out. The flood has gone through a significant revamp since then. They work much better. Also, point 2 is impossible due to hardcoding.

Point 3 is (I think) impossible due to hardcoding, because even if the shields go down, the ship will still be marked as "having shields". The requirement would be "can only be used on ships without shields" but since the ships have a shield count it would still be unable to infect it. "Ships with hull only" wouldn't work either, as the shields negate the hull aspect.

As for your question, the Shadow of Intent took a dispersal pod straight through the midsection of the ship, and it would have had shields. Unless the shields were taken offline in order to glass the Citadel, they had no problem (at their velocity) punching through the shields and then hull of the ship. The Covenant can now adequately deal with the flood, pickets have been buffed and the CAS is now immune to flood infection. They are just as capable of handling the flood as the UNSC. The almighty Unikraken is hoping for a release SoonTM but that remains to be seen. 

Hope I answered your questions.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Digital Communist

Digital Communist

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:31 PM

I see. That's unfortunate but you have to work with what you're given in the base game (regarding boarding parties).

As for the shield mechanic, fair enough. It just sucks when you lose an entire CAS Assault Carrier to one flood spore (actually happened to me, one flood spore from a lone Paris took out a CAS carrier). Ships should at least be able to put up a fight against Flood takeovers.

#4 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

I see. That's unfortunate but you have to work with what you're given in the base game (regarding boarding parties).

As for the shield mechanic, fair enough. It just sucks when you lose an entire CAS Assault Carrier to one flood spore (actually happened to me, one flood spore from a lone Paris took out a CAS carrier). Ships should at least be able to put up a fight against Flood takeovers.

CAS is invulnerable now IIRC. We've done a pretty significant Flood revamp so a lot of stuff has changed from the public release

• Crisiss likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#5 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

CAS is invulnerable now IIRC. We've done a pretty significant Flood revamp so a lot of stuff has changed from the public release

It's like people don't even read what I type. Oh well.

Carry on.

• ahunter257 likes this

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

Use anti-fighter ships to keep the spores away and you can easily defeat the flood. Especially in the upcoming release.

• Digital Communist likes this

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#7 Hart

Hart

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:cdr_hart

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

1 and 2 are ruled out. The flood has gone through a significant revamp since then. They work much better. Also, point 2 is impossible due to hardcoding.

Point 3 is (I think) impossible due to hardcoding, because even if the shields go down, the ship will still be marked as "having shields". The requirement would be "can only be used on ships without shields" but since the ships have a shield count it would still be unable to infect it. "Ships with hull only" wouldn't work either, as the shields negate the hull aspect.

As for your question, the Shadow of Intent took a dispersal pod straight through the midsection of the ship, and it would have had shields. Unless the shields were taken offline in order to glass the Citadel, they had no problem (at their velocity) punching through the shields and then hull of the ship. .

Interesting, and good explanation.  Going to toss out an off the wall idea to see if it'd get around hardcoding(I love good problems)

Flood spores now do 2 points of damage upon usage.

1. IF (Current Hull points < Max Hull points): Infection begins. Break;
  2. Else IF (Shield <=1 point) : 1PT Damage hull. Break:
  3. Else Apply Damage to shield. Break;

I may be wrong, but I assume shields would eat up a a lot of flood spores that way, so damage might need adjustment. But provided its all dealt to shields first, and then requires a hull rupture to begin infection...  covenant would have quite a buffer, much like they do vs unsc(This is why Damage per spore might need adjustment).  While 1 point of hull damage is all it would take to make a UNSC vessel suceptible.

Not going to argue that "STOP MUST DO THIS".  It'd cause all sorts of rebalance needs, but genuinely curious:

Did I beat hardcoding?

#8 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Interesting, and good explanation. Going to toss out an off the wall idea to see if it'd get around hardcoding(I love good problems)

Flood spores now do 2 points of damage upon usage.

• IF (Current Hull points < Max Hull points): Infection begins. Break;
  • Else IF (Shield <=1 point) : 1PT Damage hull. Break:
  • Else Apply Damage to shield. Break;
I may be wrong, but I assume shields would eat up a a lot of flood spores that way, so damage might need adjustment. But provided its all dealt to shields first, and then requires a hull rupture to begin infection... covenant would have quite a buffer, much like they do vs unsc(This is why Damage per spore might need adjustment). While 1 point of hull damage is all it would take to make a UNSC vessel suceptible.

Not going to argue that "STOP MUST DO THIS". It'd cause all sorts of rebalance needs, but genuinely curious:

Did I beat hardcoding?
If only we could do if-else-ifs in Sins...

Sent from my Nexus 7
  • Defender0 likes this
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#9 Hart

Hart

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Steam:cdr_hart

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

In a word: Arg!

I've only ever dug into the guts of two engines, and man did bioware and gpg spoil me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users