• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Hiigaran15

Hiigaran15

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

I seem to have a very hard time sending out my prowlers out to scout the local area. That might be obvious because it has the health of 1 mac blast from a Charon class... and most gravity wells have 1 more or more of them or stronger. I hope you guys are working on a way to make them more effective. Like give it a passive ability of cloaking or something. Kinda makes them useless unless you want to micromanage them for the start of the game.

#2 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

theyre easy to spam early game, i find. usually, you can send out a few after capturing a planet, for every planet you capture

#3 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

We're talking about ways to improve them. Right now just scout one planet ahead and keep them safe.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#4 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Maybe a researchable stealth upgrade for them? Allows them to temporarily be invisible to the enemy (maybe 30 seconds or so with a 60 second recharge) to allow them to travel under the radar in enemy territory like their canon counterparts?
"I'm not a terrorist, I'm a pirate."

#5 rundown

rundown

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

What if you made them faster

#6 Faced

Faced

The Baddest of Bad, Plus a Modeller

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • Steam:Faced
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Maybe a researchable stealth upgrade for them? Allows them to temporarily be invisible to the enemy (maybe 30 seconds or so with a 60 second recharge) to allow them to travel under the radar in enemy territory like their canon counterparts?

The problem is there is really no way to implement Stealth, no way to make them invisible to the enemy, the only way to do that is the "You can see me but you can't hurt me" technique.

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#7 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

The problem is there is really no way to implement Stealth, no way to make them invisible to the enemy, the only way to do that is the "You can see me but you can't hurt me" technique.

Maybe just make them unselectable and disable all auto-targeting on it. That way nothing attacks it and users can't force order an attack on it.

#8 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Maybe just make them unselectable and disable all auto-targeting on it. That way nothing attacks it and users can't force order an attack on it.

Well if you can think of a way to Implement TRUE stealth, then talk to Uni

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#9 Unikraken

Unikraken

친애하는 지도자

• Administrators
  • 2,910 posts
  • Steam:Unikraken
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yea, that's not possible in the engine. We're pretty severely limited in what we can do.

[10:46:02 PM] VDNKh: Piercing Lance
[10:46:11 PM] VDNKh: fitting name for the ship that just fucked me

"Unikraken can soothe any nasties."

#10 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Yea, that's not possible in the engine. We're pretty severely limited in what we can do.

Possibly find a way to re-purpose the Phase Out Hull ability that Vasari Marauder Cruisers had, only without the sublight engine disabling? The in game animation of the vanilla of phasing out makes the target slightly transparent which would make the naming of the ability 'cloak' slightly more believable, though I'm just spitballing it right now.

#11 Faced

Faced

• Mod Staff
  • -537 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Possibly find a way to re-purpose the Phase Out Hull ability that Vasari Marauder Cruisers had, only without the sublight engine disabling? The in game animation of the vanilla of phasing out makes the target slightly transparent which would make the naming of the ability 'cloak' slightly more believable, though I'm just spitballing it right now.

That's what most people would suggest but as it wouldn't really act like stealth the enemy would still be able to see your ship

FacedKylee117_blue_0.png

#12 Wikia

Wikia

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 91 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

That's what most people would suggest but as it wouldn't really act like stealth the enemy would still be able to see your ship

It's as close as we're gonna get.

#13 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Prowlers don't use active camouflage technology anyways, they use photoreacitve panels to simulate so they are still visible, but not that much.

That being, gameplay wise, you could just make their hit values 10-20% for lack of vision essentially.

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 psdt

psdt

Crewman

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNM

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I would say that because of the limitations of the engine the best option is to give them a stealth abibilty that changes thier texture to semi-transparent (if possible) and makes them invulnerable until deactivated or energy supply is depleted. Basically the same as the diplomatic immunity ability that the envoys from sins have. Prowlers can also lay mines in the books, but that might be a little much.

#15 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Prowlers can also lay mines in the books, but that might be a little much.

That's a WIP. As in, when I tried to do that, it crashed. I'm still working on that
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#16 VDNKh

VDNKh

Creator of Worlds

• Inactive Staff
  • 344 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Maybe instead, I dont know if this applies to MACs and Missiles, but make the chance to hit on them like 10%? That's how stealth basically applies in a dog-fight. (In theory. Really stealthy aircraft haven't seen action in a direct dog-fight because the fight is over before the planes even see each other.)
"Well if the AI is so retarded the answer is simple, just make the player dumber too."

- Ancient Modding Proverb

#17 sloosecannon

sloosecannon

Admin - I code stuff

• Administrators
  • 2,468 posts
  • Steam:sloosecannon
  • LocationThis dimension (right now...)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

Maybe instead, I dont know if this applies to MACs and Missiles, but make the chance to hit on them like 10%? That's how stealth basically applies in a dog-fight. (In theory. Really stealthy aircraft haven't seen action in a direct dog-fight because the fight is over before the planes even see each other.)

Well, that would have to be implemented via a anti-enemy buff to all enemies, which could be ungodly broken (put a few Prowlers in your fleet and now there's a 10% cross board damage reduction)
#define true false
//happy debugging suckers!!!!!

Notable SOTP forum/Steam chat quotes:

Spoiler

Donate to the forum! https://kd8rho.net/donate

#18 CanadaMan7

CanadaMan7

Commander-in-Chief

• Administrators
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationCharleston, SC

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yea, that's not possible in the engine.

Still looking into that, but admittedly the going is rough.

yLM4TEk.png

#19 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well, that would have to be implemented via a anti-enemy buff to all enemies, which could be ungodly broken (put a few Prowlers in your fleet and now there's a 10% cross board damage reduction)

if this ever did happen, you would have to swap out the current prowler texture for a massive trollface
  • Emberblaque likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users