• This topic is locked This topic is locked
44 replies to this topic

#1 axe11154

axe11154

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

I was just curious but should covenant have a side ability on some ships where they Burn it instead of capture, giving them a massive resource reward but making it so the planet could not be controlled by any one faction.

just curious.

#2 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

I was just curious but should covenant have a side ability on some ships where they Burn it instead of capture, giving them a massive resource reward but making it so the planet could not be controlled by any one faction.

just curious.

That would kick balance right out of the plane...

Seriously though, it would enable them to wipe the map right on the start of a game when they have a massive advantage. We are going to be leaving it a capturing planets.

• SPECTRE likes this
"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#3 axe11154

axe11154

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:15 PM

ok

was just wondering as it has been said you are trying to stick with lore.

#4 theselfescaping

theselfescaping

Crewman Apprentice

• Mod Staff
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

The UNSC has ships capable of re-terraforming glassed planets (cf. end of Halo: Reach), so the effects of planetary glassing are not necessarily permanent.

Posted Image

CAMPAIGN MAPS

The Long Night (Sins of the Prophets 0.75.1)

Warday (Sins of the Prophets 0.75.1)

Warlords (Thrawn's Revenge II: Ascendancy)

New Frontiers (Star Trek: Sacrifice of Angels 2)

#5 Scorpii

Scorpii

Code Monkey #777

• Mod Staff
  • 359 posts
  • Steam:acbrother1

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

The UNSC has ships capable of re-terraforming glassed planets (cf. end of Halo: Reach), so the effects of planetary glassing are not necessarily permanent.

Yes, but the Sins engine isn't exactly that flexible to work with and I don't think it can be done because hardcoding.jpg

SPAM ALL THE CHARONS AND HAIL THE MOD STAFF

"Let's Get It On" -The Flood whispering to me

Posted Image

#6 theselfescaping

theselfescaping

Crewman Apprentice

• Mod Staff
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:16 PM

Yes, but the Sins engine isn't exactly that flexible to work with and I don't think it can be done because hardcoding.jpg

I understand, and I think not having the capability doesn't contradict canon. If we took canon literally, then every time the Covenant bombarded the planet, they would use plasma and glass it; they would have to glass every planet they attack, not as a side ability.

Posted Image

CAMPAIGN MAPS

#7 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

That would kick balance right out of the plane...

Seriously though, it would enable them to wipe the map right on the start of a game when they have a massive advantage. We are going to be leaving it a capturing planets.

Not it if were a late-game research ability, which would in fact balance it well considering the UNSC's late game advantage.

#8 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

It also took the UNSC 37 years to terraform Reach so people could live on it.

• Bornstellaris likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 theselfescaping

theselfescaping

Crewman Apprentice

• Mod Staff
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:32 PM

That's true, I forgot how long it was before people returned to Reach.

I don't think the Covenant should have the ability to glass planets because it's impractical, gameplay-wise and canon-wise. With gameplay, as Scorpii said, it may not be possible because of SoaSE coding.

As for canon, Covenant ships always use plasma when they bombard planets; Covenant ships would already be glassing the planet when they begin attacking it, so the Covenant would be unable to colonize any previously occupied planets.

Posted Image

CAMPAIGN MAPS

#10 Zero

Zero

HHF Lead Dev

• Contributor
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationKent, Washington, USA

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Well there's a difference between pinpoint surface bombardment and turning the ground into glass. Glassing a planet into nuclear winter also takes months.

• theselfescaping likes this

qqpudUa.gif

Spoiler

Spoiler

#11 KhevaKins

KhevaKins

Cautiously Captivated

• Members
  • 2,133 posts
  • Steam:KhevaKins
  • LocationChooglin

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:16 AM

Did it? It was definitely terraformed by 2589 (at least it looked habitable) but you are assuming they started terraforming in 2553 and that it was only habitable by 2589.

Here is the quote from 'Catalog':

Query Answer: Human records indicate that [pioneer group] units arrived on [Epsilon Eridani II] in November, 2553 for initial [search and assess] and [megaengineering scoping].

It only says that they began surveying in 2553. They could of actual began terraforming at any point after, be it the next month or in 2588.

Plus, 'Catalog' is actually some PR person who comes in and craps on actual canon, not that there is much to do with terraforming in Halo canon to begin with.
  • SPECTRE likes this
Spoiler

led203_crashed_0.pngled203.jpg

#12 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

No. Simply because I can spam SDVs and take your planet even before your fleet can jump in that grav well.

• theselfescaping likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#13 theselfescaping

theselfescaping

Crewman Apprentice

• Mod Staff
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Did it? It was definitely terraformed by 2589 (at least it looked habitable) but you are assuming they started terraforming in 2553 and that it was only habitable by 2589.

Here is the quote from 'Catalog':

It only says that they began surveying in 2553. They could of actual began terraforming at any point after, be it the next month or in 2588.

Plus, 'Catalog' is actually some PR person who comes in and craps on actual canon, not that there is much to do with terraforming in Halo canon to begin with.

I was also thinking that they didn't spend all that time terraforming Reach.

One more thing, just because it's rarely talked about. It bothers me that there are so many habitable, Earth-like planets in the Halo universe. Granted, this seems to be a feature of most scifi universes, but if I'm not mistaken, Earth-like planets are relatively rare in the galaxy.

The Universal Century Gundam universe is an unlikely inspiration for a more probable alternative. Big robots aside, I think constructing solar-powered space colonies is a more realistic method to address overpopulation, instead of using terraforming equipment on barren planets.

Posted Image

CAMPAIGN MAPS

#14 axe11154

axe11154

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

another good question is how long in the halo universe did it take barren planets to be colonised, How many glass planets were properly recolonised, and how long could a spartan survive on a glassed planet?

I ask the last one becuase after we saw Noble 6 fight off Covies in what remained of Reach I wondered if a Spartan could actualy go into hiding on a glassed planet and stay there for a time till the unsc refound them.

#15 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

No. Simply because I can spam SDVs and take your planet even before your fleet can jump in that grav well.

But that can be addressed perhaps by being able to purchase "glassing vessels" that take longer to bombard worlds.  OR have the Covenant have to capture a world before they can glass it ala the Vasari world killer.

Just as a coding question would it be possible to replace the dead asteroid model with a glassed planet model and then just use the Vasari ability.  The resource return boost could be scrapped or used due to the forerunner artifacts uncovered.

#16 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

But that can be addressed perhaps by being able to purchase "glassing vessels" that take longer to bombard worlds.  OR have the Covenant have to capture a world before they can glass it ala the Vasari world killer.

Why would you ever glass a planet that you already have conquered? Also, "glassing vessels" would be known as "balance-breakers". Purchasing a vessel? From who? How much would it cost? How strong would it be? Why would I ever want to purchase a glassing vessel that takes longer to destroy worlds, when I can simply spam SDVs?

• Defender0 and Lavo like this

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#17 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

What if guys, what if, there was a glassing vessel and an invasion vessel. One could possibly reducing health and ter other could reduce the postulation.

is there any way you can tie the two together so that you can't netralise a planet without neutralising both health and population at the smae tiem?>

• Lord Stark likes this

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#18 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

Why would you ever glass a planet that you already have conquered? Also, "glassing vessels" would be known as "balance-breakers". Purchasing a vessel? From who? How much would it cost? How strong would it be? Why would I ever want to purchase a glassing vessel that takes longer to destroy worlds, when I can simply spam SDVs?

The same reason you destroy worlds as the Vasari loyalists.

A. Tactical reasons; destroying a chokehold world means even if the UNSC retakes the world I don't have to worry about having to face down 30 SMACs.

B. Resources; As I said you'd likely get a resource bonus.

C. Uncovering artifacts (Don't know if this is possible with coding).

• SPECTRE likes this

#19 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

The same reason you destroy worlds as the Vasari loyalists.

A. Tactical reasons; destroying a chokehold world means even if the UNSC retakes the world I don't have to worry about having to face down 30 SMACs.

B. Resources; As I said you'd likely get a resource bonus.

C. Uncovering artifacts (Don't know if this is possible with coding).

A - So, after getting a chokepoint, you'd rather lose any chance to pursue and get the UNSC player when it still hasn't built its defences, just to destroy that planet? Losing much more time and a chance to have an advanced spawn point for your ships? Say, you had a hard battle at a chokepoint, you won and now, for a little amount of time, your enemy is fleet-less. Why wouldn't you jump to the next planet while building a shipyard so that you can have some back-ups?

B - Unless that gives you a game-breaker amount of resources, considering you had to purchase some ships, that are immediately placed on the battlefield thus they would cost a bit, and the time required to glass that planet, I'd say you would still lose resources than if you colonized it.

C - Uncovering artifacts? By destroying a planet? Then make it so if you decide to glass it, you lose the artifacts on it. Furthermore, how would you have those artifacts if you can't control the planet?

• Defender0 likes this

#20 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:51 PM

A - So, after getting a chokepoint, you'd rather lose any chance to pursue and get the UNSC player when it still hasn't built its defences, just to destroy that planet? Losing much more time and a chance to have an advanced spawn point for your ships? Say, you had a hard battle at a chokepoint, you won and now, for a little amount of time, your enemy is fleet-less. Why wouldn't you jump to the next planet while building a shipyard so that you can have some back-ups?

B - Unless that gives you a game-breaker amount of resources, considering you had to purchase some ships, that are immediately placed on the battlefield thus they would cost a bit, and the time required to glass that planet, I'd say you would still lose resources than if you colonized it.

C - Uncovering artifacts? By destroying a planet? Then make it so if you decide to glass it, you lose the artifacts on it. Furthermore, how would you have those artifacts if you can't control the planet?

A- Because I can simply build a Phase stabilizer and warp vessels to that planet because dead asteroids (glassed planets) still have tactical slots.  I would jump to the next planet while my reinforcements secured the area.  Unlike the UNSC I don't need numerous MAC cannons to mount a successful defense.  SOTPs is all about chokeholds and giving the Covenant an advantage of destroying a chokehold world early on allows them an easier time breaching the UNSC's turtle strategy later.  

B. And yet the moment my fleet moves on the UNSC is able to retake that world.  Next thing I know my fleet is balls deep in enemy territory and now has to bypass 30 MACs + an enemy fleet on my heals.  Additionally with the planet glassed I don't need to even bother leaving a token fleet to defend a colony world I am only holding so my enemy doesn't get his hands on it.

C. I would like to point you to exhibits A and B Reach and Harvest, as well as exhibit C. New Mombasa. Just because most of the planet is molten slag doesn't mean I can't still utilize the artifacts underneath the first layer of crust.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users