#21 Defender0

Defender0

Reclaimer

• Members
  • -1,937 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

MAC cannons  

let the ridicule begin...

also, it would be better to leave it as an actual planet rather than an asteroid, because if the UNSC took over said asteroid, the SMACs range would make the entire gravity well a deathtrap

#22 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

A- Because I can simply build a Phase stabilizer and warp vessels to that planet because dead asteroids (glassed planets) still have tactical slots.  I would jump to the next planet while my reinforcements secured the area.  Unlike the UNSC I don't need numerous MAC cannons to mount a successful defense.  SOTPs is all about chokeholds and giving the Covenant an advantage of destroying a chokehold world early on allows them an easier time breaching the UNSC's turtle strategy later.  

B. And yet the moment my fleet moves on the UNSC is able to retake that world.  Next thing I know my fleet is balls deep in enemy territory and now has to bypass 30 MACs + an enemy fleet on my heals.  Additionally with the planet glassed I don't need to even bother leaving a token fleet to defend a colony world I am only holding so my enemy doesn't get his hands on it.

C. I would like to point you to exhibits A and B Reach and Harvest, as well as exhibit C. New Mombasa. Just because most of the planet is molten slag doesn't mean I can't still utilize the artifacts underneath the first layer of crust.  

A - So you would lose time, after the battle, to glass that planet, recolonize it and wait for a Phase Stabilizer to be built before moving on? By that time, a whole new fleet will jump in, and then you can say goodbye to your glassed outpost, and to the planet next to it since you have no defences, and to the other planet...see the catastrophe?

B - Well then, if you don't want to advance, what would be your strategy? To sit down and turtle a bit? As the Covenant? And anyway, you still need a token fleet behind that chokepoint, or you can say goodbye to your empire.

C - No, well yeah that's canon, I was referring to the Sins' engine. I think that's way hardcoded.

P.S. it was a lot of time I didn't have a conversation like this one. I love this kind of debates.

• Defender0 likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#23 Sev40

Sev40

Crewman Apprentice

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:06 AM

Anyone remember the planet status in the vanilla game caused by the Novalith Cannon? Wasn't permanent but still stopped anyone from colonising the planet until the timer expired. And it was caused by an ability. Could always use it as a placeholder...

Also, if I recall, it also makes the planet 'burn' during the duration. When it strikes it could 'spawn' a planet mesh around the planet (assuming that hardcoding doesn't interfere).

But then again, I don't know anything about sins coding. So if it'll be possible I have no idea...

EDIT: If you want a reason for balance, only the titan can glass planets (on top of things the ability does that ensures it doesn't become OP). I imagine this would be better than a 16-strong assault carrier fleet glassing through your colonies...

#24 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Can we lock this thread since this is not going to happen?

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#25 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

Can we lock this thread since this is not going to happen?

No reason to lock it. They can discus it all they want. It will not make it in the mod.

"Japan received freedom so hard it was atomizing." -VDNKh
Spoiler

#26 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

No reason to lock it. They can discus it all they want. It will not make it in the mod.

That's the post I was looking for. Okay, thanks.

Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear - Marcus Aurelius

Spoiler

Spoiler

#27 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

That's the post I was looking for. Okay, thanks.

These aren't the droids you're looking for?

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#28 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

A - So you would lose time, after the battle, to glass that planet, recolonize it and wait for a Phase Stabilizer to be built before moving on? By that time, a whole new fleet will jump in, and then you can say goodbye to your glassed outpost, and to the planet next to it since you have no defences, and to the other planet...see the catastrophe?

B - Well then, if you don't want to advance, what would be your strategy? To sit down and turtle a bit? As the Covenant? And anyway, you still need a token fleet behind that chokepoint, or you can say goodbye to your empire.

C - No, well yeah that's canon, I was referring to the Sins' engine. I think that's way hardcoded.

P.S. it was a lot of time I didn't have a conversation like this one. I love this kind of debates.

A- Yup.  If they retook the outpost or not it wouldn't matter, as my Covenant Fleet will always win against the UNSC fleet without MACs and platforms supplementing them.

B. No you do advance but you can advance while also not having to worry about having to face massive enemy defences being built up behind your offensive line.  Additionally, I don't have to waste vessels defending the chokehold, I can divert them to my offensive. Maybe I should draw a diagram.

C. Yeah :-/  

#29 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

:-/  

Who does 45 degree angle mouth face with nose?

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#30 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

;)

#31 SPECTRE

SPECTRE

Banned user who criticised terrorists

• Members
  • 3,455 posts
  • LocationANGLIA BRUV, HOME TO THE PRODIGY, NON CRIMINAL GANGSTAS AND FARMERS

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

;)

Much better.

I'm back (temp)

Spoiler

#32 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Spoiler

• Defender0, Moustachio86, D4RKST0RM99 and 5 others like this
Spoiler

#33 SternuS

SternuS

Playtester of the poor

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,806 posts
  • Steam:SternuS
  • LocationItaly

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

A- Yup.  If they retook the outpost or not it wouldn't matter, as my Covenant Fleet will always win against the UNSC fleet without MACs and platforms supplementing them.

B. No you do advance but you can advance while also not having to worry about having to face massive enemy defences being built up behind your offensive line.  Additionally, I don't have to waste vessels defending the chokehold, I can divert them to my offensive. Maybe I should draw a diagram.

C. Yeah :-/  

No you don't need to draw a diagram, I can understand what you're saying. But I'm telling you, there's no way you can hold off the UNSC fleet after they've took the chokehold planet. You just can't outnumber them. And, you can't wait that much time doing nothing. Make more little fleets and send them to skirmish. Draw his attention elsewhere.

Also, no. Your Covenant fleet WON'T always win against an UNSC fleet. That doesn't happen, trust me.

• Defender0 likes this

c048b5cb018d634cb3a0d9bd3617eb50-d547q01

Peter Jackson, 27/07/2013: 1.08 am. A 20 hour day ... 15 years of Tolkien ... 771 days of shooting ...

"We would be fools to pursue the impossible simply because you believe the achievable is flawed" - Ugin

#34 D4RKST0RM99

D4RKST0RM99

There's a DarkStorm coming Mr. Canadaman...

• Authorized Playtester
  • 961 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

Yes we should, the Scorched Earth Policy has been a valid military strategy for centuries and forces your enemy to travel further un supported with no favorable retreat and suceptable to hit and run attacks dwindling the enemies numbers long before they reach their target.
  • Lord Stark likes this

#35 Crisiss

Crisiss

Trap Lord

• Authorized Playtester
  • 2,340 posts
  • LocationTrap House

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Yes we should, the Scorched Earth Policy has been a valid military strategy for centuries and forces your enemy to travel further un supported with no favorable retreat and suceptable to hit and run attacks dwindling the enemies numbers long before they reach their target.

Does playing a never ending stalemate sound fun to you?

Spoiler

Spoiler

#36 Aunt Gruntie

Aunt Gruntie

Sterilized Food Nipples!

• Contributor
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:00 PM

Does playing a never ending stalemate sound fun to you?

Thats how the current pub release is atm
  • Crisiss likes this

Help me Sergeant I'm lost in Kurfluffle land!

#37 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

My reasoning for it boils down to this.  The Covenant playstyle focuses on an early rush tactic rather than a turtling strategy.  But what is the point of rushing when the UNSC will just end up taking back all their colonies?  It makes more sense to glass planets that are not economically viable for you but are critical for your enemy.  It essentially lets the Covenant have an ability that makes their early rush relevant later on in the game.

#38 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:19 AM

I am open to you guys dicussing this but I will make it clear that this will not be in the mod.
  • Defender0 likes this
Spoiler

#39 Lord Stark

Lord Stark

Warden of the North

• Authorized Playtester
  • 677 posts
  • LocationWinterfell

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

I am open to you guys dicussing this but I will make it clear that this will not be in the mod.

Is there a reason aside from feasibility?

#40 m468

m468

Coordinator

• Inactive Staff
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Is there a reason aside from feasibility?

Yes, and it has been stated by multiple people multiple times in this thread.

• Defender0 likes this
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users